Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I was originally looking at what I thought was a good deal until I started asking questions on this forum. The "good deal" I was considering was pretty much what you purchased right down to the year. The advise I got was that the purchase price should be considered the down payment because a trailer of that age will need pretty much everything you have listed plus a few hidden surprises at one point or another. I was told that it was getting time for the appliances to need replacing, etc. I often say that I have two left hands and they are both all thumbs when it comes to renovations and repairing things. I could envision having the A/C go out one of our trips to Florida (frequent destination for my family) or having the refrigerator go out on another trip. I felt like I would either spend as much the first few years for repairs as I would on monthly payments or have the frustration of having nearly every trip overshadowed by which system that decided to tank on that trip. That is why I decided to go with a new Airstream when I bought ours in 2006.

This advise/experience comes too late for you, but just consider the purchase price to be the beginning of the expenses of owning a vintage Airstream. Once all repairs are completed and out of the way, you will have an Airstream that you will be proud of and derive great enjoyment from.

Hope this helps any nooby in search of a great deal on a vintage Airstream. Just know what you are getting into.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Much Thanks to all!!!
Over the weekend I lost it and just started into it! I decided to repair/replace, repair the rear floor section, eventually replace appliances. I have removed rear bath upto the twin bunk bulkheads and removed the last "sheet" 4' of plywood. Question? I know the tank flange should screw off, is it glued also? Cleaned out "mess" that was there, frame looks good for the enviroment. I hope to have the floor buttoned up by this weekend. Sorry I did not take photos, I didn't want any evidence!! ha ha. I have all the original appliances available to a good home!! Contact me. Here the "most" asked question, price...It was originally advertised at $3900. But " do to his hardship and no would even come to look at it! I picked it up for $600, I knew I would have to put money and sweat equity into it! Just not this much!! So I guess I am in it for the long haul now! Once again Big Thanks to all!!!

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Enjoy Creating a Custom Vintage Trailer

We are in the middle of the rehab stage on our trailer. This forum has saved our courage through this process - mine especially. My husband always likes to keep things original. I love custom. We are doing both. We keep what we can and custom the what needs changed.

Keep the up the courage!
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Curt,
We just live "down the street" from you and own a '78 Argosy 27ft and know the feeling. This site is in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and they are very helpful and have zillions of parts. If you have not seen it look it up.
jjairstream@gmail.com

http://www.ericksonsrv.com/
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
I picked it up for $600...
Hi Curt,

For $600, you got a great deal, even if you do need to do major repairs and replacements in my opinion.

Our Little Girl is also a 72 31’ Sovereign, and we’re doing a major rebuild of her. If you’re at all interested, take a look at our thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html. Unfortunately, we are in a down period since she’s currently hibernating for the winter.

The tank flange was just screwed onto our black tank. But, it was quite hard to get off. I ended up cutting a piece of angle iron that fit into the slots in the top of the flange, and then used a fairly big pipe wrench to break the flange free – all the while praying to the tank and flange gods that it would come free without actually breaking off. I think there was some sort of sealer applied to the threads that helped make it water and order-tight, but also acted like strong lock-tite.

Good luck!
Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
$600! Wow, there are a lot of folks on this forum that paid way more for their Airstreams and still had to do the same repairs that you are talking about. I think you did good. Way better than the "good" deal that I was looking at back in 2004. Congratulations.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
How do you figure out what your Airstream is worth? I am wondering if I got a good deal now...

cclarkego
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
How do you figure out what your Airstream is worth? I am wondering if I got a good deal now...

cclarkego
If you like it, and it isn't a rolling wreck, consider it a good deal. It could always have been cheaper, unless it was free, and it could always have been better, unless it was brand new. Sometimes, not even then, but that's a story for another thread.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Appliances

I bought a '74 Argosy, paid more for it than you did. Have been doing a lot of work on in and more $$$ than I thought. Hope it will be worth it. I think so. The PO said the refer didn't work, he had removed it and put it in his garage. I took it along with the trailer. When I got home I put it on the bench in the shop and started looking it over. the piping on the back looked in good shape, no rust etc. On mine there is a 150 watt heating element that is used when in the electric mode. Also noticed that the thermocouple for the gas side was gone. Took a chance and bought a new 150 watt element and thermocouple. Installed both and the thing works fine. It was an $80.00 gamble that paid off. The gas range (cooktop and oven combo) was just plain ugly with rust etc. Decided to replace it, cost $150.00 for a 3 burner cook top. Don't plan on doing any baking on the road so went with the cook top instead of the range. Bought a new 6 gal Atwood water heater for just over $300.00 including shipping, with just minor sheetmetal modifications it mounted right in the place of the old Bowen water heater. The cover from the Bowen fit like a glove. It took about 3 hours to install the new one.
On the black water holding tank, the closet flange screws into the top of the tank (at least on the Argosy it does). I fabricated a spanner wrench and was able to unscrew it. Looked like there was pipe dope on the threads, of coarse it was pretty dried out. So it made it a little tuff to get it to start turning, but then it just came right out. I cleaned up the threads good and installed a new closet flange $6.00. after putting new wood under the tank and new box over the top. Fabricated out of pressure treated plywood to prevent future rotting.
I'll take some photos of the changes I've made and attach them to another posting here. Hopefully today.
Good Luck on your project.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Mt. Horeb , Wisconsin
Worth it in the end

I'm going to suggest a new discussion site for Airstream Forums that deals with a sudden onset of AD (Airstream Depression). It comes on suddenly when the realization of the extent of the restoration hits you like a shooting rivet.

Hang in there. We're just a few weeks into our restoration (now we visit the "Major Restoration" section) We have many of the same issues you have, although our frame, belly pan is in good shape. Although all of the mechanicals "work" in our 1968 Sovereign, we're going to replace them anyway. You've got it torn to pieces, why not get it over with?

My husband's AD hit him last week when everything was torn out and the shell began to sink (all the wood around the inside edge was rotten). We braced everything up and now it's o.k. He sat back in his "garage chair" cracked open a beer and stared at it for an hour or so. I'm sure he was regretting our purchase, worrying about the amount of time and $ going into it, etc. But the beer worked it's magic and he dug in and now we're staring to screw the new floor down. I'm optimistic that it will be worth it.
toaster68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
reading this thread and andy made me laugh; he said "budget". HAHAHA!!!
already doubled mine and trailer's still gutted!
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
IMO you got a great financial deal for a AS. My 24' Tradewind, 1968 cost me $1200 without a title. The bugs were bigger than my fingers. The nasty mess took several days to remove along with all the appliances. I think you got a good deal - after you get the repairs completed and start using your AS you'll be a happy camper.
It's been about 18 months since my first AS project - removal and tear up and then the repairs and replacement of systems. You will find that your efforts will be well worth the work.

If you don't want your AS - put her up for sale for the same price you paid for her . . . it will be gone very quickly.

Best of luck with all you repairs - show us some pictures.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster68 View Post
I'm going to suggest a new discussion site for Airstream Forums that deals with a sudden onset of AD (Airstream Depression). It comes on suddenly when the realization of the extent of the restoration hits you like a shooting rivet.

Hang in there. We're just a few weeks into our restoration (now we visit the "Major Restoration" section) We have many of the same issues you have, although our frame, belly pan is in good shape. Although all of the mechanicals "work" in our 1968 Sovereign, we're going to replace them anyway. You've got it torn to pieces, why not get it over with?

My husband's AD hit him last week when everything was torn out and the shell began to sink (all the wood around the inside edge was rotten). We braced everything up and now it's o.k. He sat back in his "garage chair" cracked open a beer and stared at it for an hour or so. I'm sure he was regretting our purchase, worrying about the amount of time and $ going into it, etc. But the beer worked it's magic and he dug in and now we're staring to screw the new floor down. I'm optimistic that it will be worth it.
Beer, at the correct temperature, and in the right surroundings, does have that great medicinal effect.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
You'll be surprised at how quickly things will come together once you finish the first project and stand back and say that wasn't that bad.

I went through about 9 major ones and within 2 months am getting ready for a trip to Florida for a couple weeks.
(furnace, floor, upholstery, tires, paint, window stays, awning with a new rail, added a microwave, electric jack, still need new stove (in box), countertop and tables.)

Have to escape the maddning white stuff that keeps hammering the East coast, looking at 12 to 16" today and tomorrow GAHHH.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I bought my 73 Overlander I thought I was getting a trailer with some cleaning. I was wrong and I realized that I had to do the floor in the bath. I was not going to do the full monte and I had to figure out what had to be done. You can do this and my advice is that it is not that bad if you have the correct tools. The tools I needed I knew were going to be for finishing the trailer. I bought Harbor Freight tools which are very cheap, work great but will not last for many years. All the information I got was from this forum.

all the metal that was corroded on the stove and bathroom I had powder coated. You will read threads from people who are alot more detailed then I was, but I had to get mine ready in 6 months and I did. Here is my thread, but look at a bunch more because everything you need is on this forum.

It was a nightmare when I found out all the things I needed to do, but it ended up being my therapy and a fun project. They are really fun to work on.

Shop, Shop, Shop, the sales. I bought a new converter 45 amp and used the old converters fuse panel. It works great. I put in pex plumbing with a new water heaters. It really was not that hard. The hard part is venturing into the unknown.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Brian
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #36
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
welcome aboard I have the same year and model you have and bought it cheep not knowing anything about AS or trailers for that matter 2 years ago we are full timers due to work requirements so we got and rebuilt while on the road and living init and on a budget no regrets and only thing left to repair is heater and a bit more work on rear bath we even spent last year in Chayanne WY inDec and Jan with out heater so what we did was replace living room couch with new one from a 5th wheel found on craigslist perfect size and fit, frig went with non rv type Lowes about 350 med size fit right in with removal of one upper kit tabmor , removed carpet put in lamanet T&G floor, new light covers from Andy, split windows cleaned them look like new now,converted water heater to elic with hot stick so we can use both, changed all water lines to Pex able to handel 70PSI if needed, all sink facetts changed and a small 1,500 wat elic heater fire place install under the cabnet where the tv goes 2 flat screens installed and suround sound in change the over the air antanna to wingate sat on top with dish service, the 4 burner stove cleaned and lp lines checked the oven worked, out goes univolt in a intel power 60 am, new paint inside and much mor little stuff to make it home used tamor bought from this form and put in and I have polished the out side this took not that much time and honestly no more than 2,500, with cost of 3,000 for unit our resale is much higher but this is our home so no cost is to much. parts can be found on this form and craigslist and e bay enjoy it its part of history if you want pics PM me and with e mail I can send you some Charles.
scorpiontimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Gosh, I think they are worth it at just about any price. Look how much fun I have had, the bear trying to come in, the SWAT team over, drove to Montana and back to California with the dogs by myself even though I had never been anywhere in a trailer before, broke my transmission, got hit by some idiot in Salt Lake City, got to sleep in late a lot, got to listen to the sound of rain, hail, thunder, lightning and managed to stay dry, woke up once to 30 degree weather and I am always amazed that no matter what, even if it isn't Thursday, I still love my trailer. That's my two cents on the whole deal.

cclarkego
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
Help is needed from the Experts! I now have a 72 31' sovereign rear bath that I thought was a "good deal" 3 1/2 weeks ago, sitting in my driveway. At this point I have found, 1- Univolt bad, 2- Furnace bad, 3- Refer bad, 4- Oven bad, 5- Water heater bad, 6- A/C bad, 7- Axels and Tires bad, 8- here's the coup de grai..... Rear bath floor rot!!! Around the perimeter.

<clip>

P.S. Newbies Please Read!!!!!!

Curt
No question, this forum is an excellent source of information.
Were you perusing airforums prior to buying this 'fixerupper'?
(all those items are easily, and readily discoverable)
or
Did you go for the widely held opinion (at least here) that the 'older' models are better built?

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Was it a "Good Deal"? At $600 it was. It was also way below the "norm" for a typical "As Found" trailer of that era.

How much is it gonna cost to fix it? Depends on your budget...or "budget smudget"!

How are you gonna get thru it? With the help of nearly 40,000+ "new-found best-friends" here on the forum!

How do I set a budget? Check out "Table C" in the link below for starters...but read the entire page for context.

How much is it worth? With the type of repairs you are considering, it would fall in the middle of "Average Condition" category when you are complete.

This link will help...Price vs Condition. Good luck from someone who has been there, done that...twice, paying ALOT more for the donor trailers, with a "budget-smudget" attitude and no regrets!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote