Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Felton , California
Not sure how to get to leak under fridge in 2015 Intl Signature

I have a 2015 International Signature that has constantly recurring puddles under the fridge in the right corner.

Drain tube: I looked at the drain tube on the outside yesterday. It was dry, and about an inch from the edge, so I thought maybe it was draining into the cubby and rolling back into the trailer instead of going out. So I moved the edge of the drain tube to the edge of the cubby to make sure it goes out.

Today I woke up and saw another huge puddle in the kitchen in the same place. I thought the drain tube didnt work but I did go outside and check and I do see water draining out correctly today. Which makes me a bit more confused.

I'd like to be able to pull the fridge out to see what's happening (maybe a bad connection of the drain tube at the back of the fridge? Maybe something else completely?), but I dont know how to get this fridge out.

Also wonder if anyone else has seen the same leak and troubleshooted this before? It's a 2015 trailer so I haven't found anyone else with the same issue yet.

Here's a great video on the drain tube in an older rig.

That's the same one I'm wondering about on the back of the fridge. But I just need to figure out how this fridge comes out (OR if someone has had the same issue and it's something else completely).

I attached a video of the leak and the fridge too.
Attached Files
sfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i have a 2006 safari sport...and...every time it rains hard,i have a leak under the fridge...i finally figured out it goes into the two vents!!!!now when i know it is going to rain i tape on a plastic sheet over it until i can figure out another solution....very different problem than yours.....good luck !!!M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I doubt it is your drain tube, being so far in the opposite corner....but could be.

You fridge is similar to mine, so I'll tell you where my screws are:

1) there are two large hex heads in the outside compartment on the "rails" at either side of the rear, bottom of the fridge. They screw into the compartment floor

2) there are several screws at the lower front of the front of the fridge, seen with the door open in your video.

3) pop off the top control panel face and you'l find two or three screws which fix the top front of the frige overhead.

4) disconnect the gas line, the 120 volt plug, and the two 12v wires going to the little white plastic covered junction on the rear lower left side of the fridge back.

It should then just slide out onto your hallway.....protect the floor and cabinetry with rugs, rags, etc.

Install is just the reverse.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Question; is there any water in the floor of the fridge on the inside? Sometimes the catch tray in the back of the fridge, just below the fins will work its way out toward the door and allow water to pass between it and the back of the box. Water on the inside floor of the box is NOT normal.

Has it been raining?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
I also doubt it is the drain tube - there isn't a lot of condensation on these things normally, so even if the drain was not connected fully I doubt you would see that much water that quickly,

Where is your water heater located? I'm not familiar with the 28, but on my 30 the WH is under the dinette seat by the fridge - I would strongly suspect a water line leak from that rather than the fridge.

You could also pull the charger/converter from under the fridge and look in there. That is easier to remove than the entire refrigerator.

Important questions:
1) has it been raining? - possible water intrusion leak
2) If you shut the water and pump off, relieve the water pressure and possibly even drain the WH, does it still leak?
3) Does the puddle appear if the fridge is turned off but the water system is pressurized?
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Your fridge weighs 100+ lbs. when I replaced mine I built a wooden rack for it to rest on when it came out of the space . it is a very tight fit so you will need to push from outside to get it started . Have another person help you from inside the coach . Mine wasn't secured form the sides all the screws are located top,bottom and bottom rear as described before . Mine was a Dometic . Hope this helps
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I found a milk crate was just the right height for mine. I placed a rug under the milk crate so I could then slide it easily on the floor. Yes, those side strips are just flanges with foam tape to seal air intrusion...no fastening to the cabinetry.

Suggestion: While the fridge is out, get some good foam tape at the big box and replace the crappy foam on the side strips; get some prodex or reflectix and line the sides and top of the fridge space. In addition, take that opportunity to add cooling fans to the underside of the top vent (if yours vents out the top). Use the search function on the forum for many ideas and instructions on how to install the fans.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Felton , California
Wow - I posted this some time ago - was surprised to see all the comments on it today! Since then, I called a maintenance guy - the only airstream tech (from an RV dealer, not actually from airstream) within hours of here. He replaced hot & cold pipes under the sink in the bathroom but the leak persists (it did look like those were leaking too (so does one under my kitchen sink, and this rig is a new 2015)).

I *did* learn a few things from him, that I'm trying to consider the $300 charge was worth:
  1. The fuse box panel under the fridge comes out much easier than potentially the fridge & now that I took it out myself after seeing the leak is still there, I can see a drip coming from a cold water pipe underneath (see pic).
  2. It's 1/2 inch pipe and the connectors to use would be shark bites

So when I took the fuse box off I see the leak coming from what looks like the cold water pipe in the pic attached. I wrapped E-Z Fuse Tape on that spot and the leak is still there, so I have more investigation to do, like, did I do a bad wrap job? Is the leak actually coming from somewhere else in the pipe (or even not in that pipe) and traveling down and just dripping from that spot? It's such a small cubby hole I can only get one arm in there at a time, so I can only inspect or repair one-handedly. Ah, the challenges of RV repair.

Quote:
Important questions:
1) has it been raining? - possible water intrusion leak
2) If you shut the water and pump off, relieve the water pressure and possibly even drain the WH, does it still leak?
3) Does the puddle appear if the fridge is turned off but the water system is pressurized?
On those Q's:
  1. Rain yes (yay! I'm in California) - on and off. But I will have the leak when it rains, and wont have it when it does an vice versa. I don't see a correlation.
  2. I'd have to test again for sure. Here's what I know: Drained allblack and gray tanks and turned off water and didnt see an active drip. Turned water on with gray water drain open and tested running each sink + shower separately to see if drip would pick up. Not that I can tell. Now I have the gray water collecting (drain hose is closed) and going to see if, as it fills up, the drip/leak intensifies.
  3. I havent turned the fridge off but I did try collecting the water from the inside drip pan into a bowl in the fridge instead, to test if it might be the fridge end of the drain tube. Leak still happened. What does it mean to pressurize the water system?

Pic wont post, but it's here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/laural...posted-public/
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Felton , California
I figured out that the leak happens when I run hot water. I believe that cold/white pipe is leaking from a crack I cant see underneath the spot circled in that pipe. No other place is wet - the puddles start right there. Going to try re-wrapping the pipe with the E-Z Fuse tape, since my first one-handed attempt at it honestly could have been better.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
I guess there is always a first time for everything, but I doubt the PEX pipe is cracked. It is far more likely that a fitting is cracked and water is traveling down the outside of the pipe via capillary action until the trickle is interrupted and a puddle forms (where the pipe contacts the edge of the floor in your photo).

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i have a 2006 safari sport...and...every time it rains hard,i have a leak under the fridge...i finally figured out it goes into the two vents!!!!now when i know it is going to rain i tape on a plastic sheet over it until i can figure out another solution....very different problem than yours.....good luck !!!M
forgot to mention,A.S.is winterized,everything is drained and OFF!!!!it only happens when it rains...nothing to do with the drain...
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote