Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Not repair question but in need of info

New to A/S TTs, I'm more used to other brands that have bumpers for the nasty hoses and room for 2 or more batteries.
This is for a 76 Ambassador we just bought.

Multi batteries and hose storage?

Ok this goes to all the folks here with a twin/rear bath (or anyone else for that matter). Has anyone added multi batteries to their AS and if so where did you put them? I been thinks of maybe adding 2 more where would I put them. On a side not, since this is our first AS where do you store the FW hose and the nasties hoses? Mine is in stock formation, no plans on a major reno anytime soon. Change the colors inside is about all we want to do cause we are somewhat happy with the way things are now. Grateful for any and all advice and help we can get. FYI, I will not and do not like to pay shops to do work for me. Hate their over pricing for things I can do myself, quite handy when I need to be. Wiring not an issue, running gear not an issue, plumbing is easy along with the LP system. Plus it gives me something to instead of being bored out of my gourd all day. LOL
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You should have a bumper trunk, which has only about enough room in it to store the sewer hose (AKA the stinky slinky). I think most of us store things like the fresh water hose and power cord (if detachable) in cargo boxes in the trailer or tow vehicle.

As for adding batteries, many folks have done so. A popular practice is to switch to AGM batteries, which don't out-gas like a normal wet cell, in which case you can put them under a bed or in the base of a cabinet.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
That model AS has no outside storage? I put my FW hoses coiled up in the outside storage box. Dump station hoses go in the bumper storage and the stinky slinky goes in an under trailer pipe storage tube.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I got one oversize 12v AGM battery weighing about 150 pounds and about 12"x 12" x 20". I am going from memory as this was 7 to 10 years ago. The brand is Universal and I got it from Best Converter. I found out after the fact it was a Chinese battery but it is still going. I think it was rated at 240ah.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Storage tubes are available that bolt under the trailer. They have a screw-on cap on one end to retrieve the hose. They are essentially PVC pipe with custom fittings. I have the heavy duty hoses with the large orange fittings. They will not fit in the tubes. Others have cut off the lugs that aid in assembly, but I didn't do that. I bought some 5" PVC fence post covers and caps and made my own larger square tubes. I glued the cap on one end and used hinges on the other. I made mounting brackets out of aluminum strap and mounted them near where the tank drains come out, screwed them into the structure behind the belly pan. I made two tubes, one for hoses and one for flagpoles.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Stinky storage

We bought a 5 inch square 10' pvc (Lowes, Home Depot) cut to length, painted flat black, pop riveted a pc. of aluminum on 1 end, hinged another at the other end and strapped it to the frame in the rear. Works great!
Plenty of room actually for 2 slinkies.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Good info, thank you. The storage area at the bumper is where the shore power goes, it is hard mounted there. There is a storage compartment right above there where the drain valves are at. Around the corner on the curb side there is a small (door about the size of the battery compartment door) compartment that barely big enough to get the extra shore extension cords into. Luckily there are only 2 30amp extension cords with it. So then would I put Mr Stinky in the bumper storage with the shoreline or no. I'm thinking of trying to find a storage container to fit the "trunk area" where the license plate goes for Mr Stinky, but am worried the smell could get inside the trailer. As for going with that big of a battery is that the battery compartment barely fits a group 27. Manual shows it using a 105Ah battery which would be a group 24. I was thinking the trunk area or maybe inside up front between the front wall and the gouche. Looks to just dead space anyway. Wish there was room between the tanks and front wall but that area probably isn't even big enough for a lawn tractor battery(U1L). Again thanks for the info, we plan on using it as much as possible this year at local state parks.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
The Twinkie, what about a 6" round PVC pipe the width of the camper. Glue on a threaded female fitting with a threaded plug and a solid glued cap on the curb side. Like you have in a house as a clean out in the sewer pipe.