Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Not an Airstream but...

First off, apologies for posting this here. In searching the internet for a rooftop a/c unit, I came across this site and this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...use-33491.html

rather then commit a forum sin and bump it to the top, I decided to start a new one. However, that's where the similar part ends.

I work for a local dog rescue here in las vegas and the dogs are hauled to the petsmart in a trailer. It's a 1985?/1986? Fleetwood Wilderness 3000 CL, the rooftop ac unit (I just pulled the shroud on the inside off, should I be climbing to the top and looking there instead?) and found the following numbers:

the coleman company, NO: 6759B714, 3/21/1985

it is a manual control unit with knobs and also a heater control to it, both manual.

I looked at coleman, their site is vague and has no manuals or anything on it. So my question is, how do we efficiently power this? being a non profit makes it slightly harder to come up with cash to buy a new one. The head of it bought some chinese clunker of a generator ("Dependable Power Model GG3500" yeah very dependable, fails constantly) and i've looked at a few Onan generators. Diesel ones appear better, but all I find is newer ones that cost quite alot, yet have alot of good features.

Noise really isn't a issue, as long as it doesn't sound out of tune and like it wants to throw a bearing or explode that's fine.

How would I find out the full specs and electrical draw of this particular unit? Is it powerful enough also to cool it down alot so the dogs are cooler for a long ride to the ranch? Arctic Winter would be nice, but i'll settle for 75 degree shade or something

Are there any manuals online for it also? Only trails I seem to find are for newer units and peculiar city counsel meeting minutes, hardly what I need

Sorry again for the Fleetwood intrusion, I figured this "general" forum might be of assistance and not really pollute a model specific area.

Thanks for your help!
mohavewolfpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Howdy,

Here's a link that should help you out. Good luck with it....

Honda generators wattage chart guide

The chart will give general specs. To find the exact info on your unit, there should be a plate by the electric connection to the unit, or a spec plate that shows the amps and power requirements on the unit chassis.
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Sounds about like the unit I have on my pop up. That one needs around 20 amps at 110v to work. So any generator over 3500 watts should power it up. The older AC units require about double the running amps to crank up, some of the newer units have a soft start capacitor and can get running with fewer amps.

FWIW when it comes to generators Honda and Yamaha are the way to go. My job depends on generators that will start and run, we own primarily Honda's, for the smaller units. The big mothers 17-50kw 3 phase are all powered by Isuzu 1.5 liter diesels.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote