Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #21
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
So are you saying that the Champion Dual Fuel and EasyStart on the 13.5 AC only worked for about 15 min? Weíre you using propane and at a high altitude? I only ask as I have been thinking of installing the EasyStart or SoftStart and buying the Champion 2000 Gen.

Brian

My Honda 2000 stalls out at higher elevations when itís hotter out. Propane fired. And thatís with the high altitude orifice installed. I always wondered if the 2200 would have been enough. It came out right after I bought my 2000i.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just guessing. I doubt if the soft start feature affects anything but inductive loading like the AC motor that starts under load. Series motors and resistive loading probably not affected.

I already have a Micro air easy start and a PG ems so my only interest in this unit is academic. If I was starting from scratch I would check it out. I would like the bluetooth monitor for sure.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Following x3. Thanks for the interesting find.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Boston , Ma
I’ve a Champion duel fuel 3500 (3020 propane) Was off grid in North Fla 2 weeks recently ran my 13,5 ac no soft start w no issue on 100+ days . Haven’t tried ac + micro that was intentional (rarely use micro) tho I did do fridge /ac
TeddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:42 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It's also a surge protector. Is it resettable or do you trow the thing away if it trips?
I contacted their support about this and here is the reply "...Bill here from SoftStartRV Customer Support. If it takes a lightening hit, like all other surge protectors, it is destroyed."

goswick@pm.me
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by goswick View Post
I contacted their support about this and here is the reply "...Bill here from SoftStartRV Customer Support. If it takes a lightening hit, like all other surge protectors, it is destroyed."
They did mention you can use it in conjunction with an existing surge protector. Ours is a plug and play one-shot model SP and would assume if it's first in line from the power source, the soft start and everything downstream should be protected?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Airstream Forums mobile app
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Here is a online review of it.

and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:01 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Monterey , California
Following.
RosenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:59 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
So are you saying that the Champion Dual Fuel and EasyStart on the 13.5 AC only worked for about 15 min? We’re you using propane and at a high altitude? I only ask as I have been thinking of installing the EasyStart or SoftStart and buying the Champion 2000 Gen.

Brian
Brian,

We have experience with the Micro Air Easy Starts on two Airstreams. I wanted something that I could use to run the AC on the smallest generator possible.

First, the Easy Start is great even on shore power - it makes the whole AC startup quieter.

Second, it is a miracle but only so big of a miracle:
It will indeed allow you to run your Dometic 13.5 AC on the small Honda generators like the 2200 Watt EU2200i Companion, made for RVs. I converted my generator to propane, so no gas tanks. I can just hook it up to the Airstream propane.

It really is a miracle. The AC starts, runs, stops, starts, runs. And the generator just chugs along. I have run it at about 2500 feet elevation. Generators do lose some watts as you go higher. But the Easy Start takes the amps needed down far below what this little generator can provide. (so I do not think altitude would be an issue. Others have confirmed this in the Rockies on other threads).

However, the miracle is only so big. If, for instance, your RV batteries are pretty low, and you are boondocking, your battery charger onboard and draw a lot of amps in bulk charge mode. So we were not able to charge the batteries in bulk mode (drawing 10 or 12 amps if I remember right), and the AC at the same time. So we ran the generator to charge the batteries. Our batteries are Renogy Lithiums with a Bluetooth monitor so I can see exactly when them amperage across the batteries drops to 1-2 amps.

At the point, the generator can run the charger, and the AC just fine. Everything else is running off the 12V system, so except for that one issue of batteries being low, the Easy Start and the little Honda 2200i is perfect.

The next step up in generators is huge. More weight, size, etc. The Honda is 45 pounds and fits in the back of our SUV nicely.

Hope this helps.

I am going to check out this new easy start where there is no install.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=CWSWine;2616195]Im not real sure what the price of new AC has to do with installing soft starts. If you want to run 1 AC on house twenty amps or two Acs on 30 Amps or using a generator they are useful.

I think they were pointing out that the price of the easy start was almost as much as the AC unit itself. This has been mentioned on other threads. Many have guessed this is why the AC manufacture does not build this in. When I installed my Easy Start in a Dometic Penguin II AC, there was a rudimentary capacitor in there. It has to be removed and 3 or 4 wires reworked for installation.

Toughest part of the installation (which took me 20 minutes) was a) getting and sitting on the roof, b) finding a video that clearly showed what wires to redo, c) getting the fasteners back on the AC cover.

I find everything Dometic makes has some kind of quirk.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Bellevue and San Antonio , Nebraska and Texas
We ordered one of these and are just now trying it out on a 20 amp circuit in the garage. Running one AC (13.5 hopefully - the one without the furnace) and the fridge. It's been about 20 minutes. We have 50 amp of course, but will only use this if we are limited to 30 amp service or using a generator.

It's cheaper than installing a 30 amp plug in the garage.
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote