Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Axles were pre-bent at the factory and nothing further was required...as long as the main bolt holes line up, there is nothing further to do as far as I know. Tires are wearing fine but I do not put a lot of mileage on, maybe 2-3 k / yr. I know they will dry rot before I wear the tread down. I did what Colin Hyde recommended for tires...
Michelin 235 / 15 LT
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Pre-bent does not mean aligned. With 2 to 3 k/yr it may not be a big deal. I tow about 15 k/yr, so alignment is important.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama9 View Post
Hey Jacob,

Helpful information, indeed! When you upsized your axle for 12" brakes did you have to modify the frame to fit the thicker axle tube? On their blog, TheGreatleys mentioned having to modify the frame in order to get all the bolts to line up.

Also, did you install the new axles and brakes yourself? If so, was it a fairly straightforward change out or something a newbie should probably shy away from?

Many thanks,
Sarah
I was not physically able to install the axles myself so I used a local heavy trailer/truck repair shop. The axles came fully assembled with new brakes, lug nuts, mounting bolts and shock brackets that had to be welded on which took about 10 minutes. The slots in the mounting plates had to be enlarged slightly by using a small cut-off wheel on a 4" side grinder. We elected to remove approx. 1/4" from the rear of the slots and used the original front edge of the slot to ensure correct alignment. We also had to drill new mounting holes after each axle was in place as none of the holes matched up but that was no problem. The original Henschen axles had 3/4" wooden shims between the mounting bracket and the frame rail and the new axle brackets were 1" taller so the trailer stood 1/4" taller when finished. Sorry I don't have pics but hope this description in helpful. BTW the shop I used was Ledbetter Welding Service in Inman, SC.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Cortez , Colorado
Need shocks for 68 Overlander

[QUOTE=Bob Cooke;1837264]
. Used Monroe shocks.

Wondering what shocks you purchased? I am about to wonder down this replacement of my axles (have axles) need the shocks.
comtnbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
I used the Gabriel shocks from Vintage Trailer Supply. Cost about $25 each plus shipping at the time I did it.
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I had my axles changed at JC and the cost was $1,500 per axle all included (axles, hubs, brakes, labor & taxes). As well, I was able to upgrade from 4,000-lb axles to 4,500-lb axles at no extra cost. As part of the install, a wheel alignment was done. Are the do-it-yourselfers also able to align the wheels (toe-in and camber)? If so, please share how you did it.
Installing the axles, we snugged the new axles to the original front edge of each slot in the side plates to ensure the alignment did not change. The Dexter axle mounting bracket was 1 inch high on top which was snugged to the main frame above it with jacks before drilling mounting holes thru the side plates and axle mounting brackets together. Then to be sure, we measured from the center of the front of the A frame to the center of each wheel hub and again to the front inside edge of each tire after putting the wheel on. All measurements were the same side to side. The trailer rides so much better and now with about 2,000 miles on it there is no sign of uneven tire wear. Time and miles will tell us more.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
There are adjustments that are made to the toe-in and camber which may be slight and not readily seen, just like for a car. JC does an alignment as part of the install and if you go there you can have it done. Correct alignment is not just for tire wear, but also reduces stress on the wheel bearings.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote