Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to jdanielii
Newbie needs a little advice

In some circles I am considered to be quite accomplished, here I am just a newbie!!
First, I recently purchased a 25' Safari. The refrig has a bad cooling unit and I have been researching remanufactured cooling units, it seems like a better way to go than to buy a new refrig. Has anyone had experience with The RV Fridge Store.com.
Second, I am thinking about pulling out the carpet and putting in hardwood. Have read some of the posts and it seams like engineered flooring is the way to go. Can I just replace the carpet or do I need to remove cabinets, beds.etc. How many square feet of flooring will it take for a 25' Safari.
Finally, I did an earlier post "Just bought a 25' Safari" and stated that I would post pics. I don't see how to upload pics directly. Do I need to upload to youtube or Google or some other place then include link? Also how do you make address a link?
jdanielii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You can just replace the carpet with hardwood.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I removed the carpet in my 2002 Safari. Mine is a queen bed.

I removed the bed frame and removed the carpet under the bed. I did not remove the galley cabinets, hanging locker, and pantry. I cut the carpet with a carpet knife in the galley area.

I removed the sofa and table / cabinet in the living room area and removed all of the carpet in that area.

I installed carpet in the bedroom but did not install carpet under the bed.

I installed carpet in the living room area forward of the exit door. The carpet I used was remnants from carpet we installed in our house.

I installed Allure Traffic Master vinyl plank flooring in the galley area. It took exactly two boxes.

Carpet can hide a shell leak that is getting to the sub-floor so I left the carpet unattached around the perimeter of the trailer so that I am able to inspect for water leaks. I can not tell you how much carpet i used.... but it wasn't very little.

I am not much help on posting photos or refrigerator work.

I look forward to seeing your photos. Good luck with your work.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Price around for your cooling coil,, as I found a wide price swing from one company to another.. The core value needs to be figured in..

As for the floor,, our Overlander the PO did lay down some pre finished hardwood.. Looks nice until one looks at the workmans ship.. Could have used a chain saw with better results.. The problem we have is the trim he used sticks up about 1/16" too high for some doors to swing open right,,

I am going in now with a 90 degree grinder and taking off just a little off the top of the trim to allow clearance. If you look this problem over before nailing down it would sure go faster to thin the trim with a table saw FIRST..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
as for pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanielii View Post
I don't see how to upload pics directly. Do I need to upload to youtube or Google or some other place then include link? Also how do you make address a link?
Hello, jdanielli!

Have a quick read of this article on how to post photos by Janet.

It's easier than you'd think
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I installed Allure Traffic Master vinyl plank flooring
I considered vinyl planks, but the manufacturer did not recommend an RV application. The reason why was the wide temperature range from unheated in the winter to very hot in the summer. Maybe it was just a case of CYA by the manufacturer.

A couple of other decisions for hardwood is 1. floating floor vs. glued down. I went with floating, and 2. orientation or direction of the floor pieces. I have heard recommendations to lay them crossways to the length of the trailer to minimize stress from flex while towing.

Might not be a big deal, but that's how I did it and did not have any problems.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Using a hardwood floor will be heavy. Some laminates swell if they get wet underneath either from leaks or spilling water. You do not have to remove everything, but the more you remove, the easier it is to get the carpet up. Using a carpet knife is the way to go, but be very careful—if the knife slips you can cut yourself badly or hit a cabinet and mess it up. Sometimes I use two hands on a knife to hold it down to keep cutting where I want and keep it from jumping up.

I am using a vinyl laminate that can't swell. I cut out the vinyl sheet flooring with a utility knife since it worked better than a carpet knife on vinyl. Some cabinet doors have to be shaved down so they will open properly. My researching a new floor starts at Post 49 and goes on and on among other things in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ate-86845.html I'm almost finished and then another modification and another and another. There are plenty of flooring and AC threads and you can find them using the search option.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote