Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

2008 16' Bambi
Buena Vista , Colorado
newbie has some problems/questions

Hello all. We are on our first trip with our 2008 16' Bambi. Unfortunately, little things keep going wrong. We mostly drove on pavement from Colorado to Jackson WY, but did go up one, not terrible, dirt road. 2 screws that secure the undersink cabinet to the closet came out, 2 rivets fell out of bathroom ceiling, the kitchen faucet rattled loose and some attachment that would tighten it up is now lost in the bowels of the camper, we got two dings/cracks in the plexiglass rock shield that protects the front window. So, nothing too terrible, but where do we do to replace/fix all this stuff? Is this normal for an airstream to suffer like this on a dirt road? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Robin and Bill
zipbakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gravel roads can be hard on any vehicle, keep it slow if you can.

It can all be fixed, and yea, I imagine stuff shaking loose is kind of common. On the bright side, the rock shield seems like it might have done its job.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Reinforcing for your lifestyle is a part of the program. Cracks in the plexi means they are doing their job....windows are much more expensive...wait to replace till you have holes! I have had to tighten, reinforce, adjust, re-align a lot of stuff. Pretty well settled in after everything "loosened up" after 4 years.
Fret not...part of "breaking in". If you want it pristine, don't use it and just look at it in the driveway! Or....have fun.

Kids pay triple for pre-broken in jeans!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can get parts from the Mothership.. (Airstream).. or better yet, from Andy at "Inland RV"... superior service and really nice folks.. (I get many of my parts from Andy.. but do not have a material or financial stake in his operation.)

Running on 'unimproved' surfaces are rough on any trailer, AS or SOB(some other brand).

you do NOT want to bounce your trailer...

I do not know what caused a rock to ding your plexi shields... but, they are FAR cheaper than the window!!! That is part of what they do... Did you get a rock thrown up from your rear tires? You may need to add rock shields to the tow vehicle.

Are your tires balanced? Sounds to me like they aren't and were shaking your trailer for all that stuff to loosen up...

Oh.. BTW are you the first owners? What use/abuse did the trailer have before you purchased?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I have come to the conclusion that camping is actually "fixing your Airstream in beautiful scenic places."

Bottom line: Buy a rivet gun, a screwdriver, WD-40, and some duct tape. And get used to it.