Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Gilmanton Ironworks , New Hampshire
new to forum/new to everything

Hi,

I'm about to buy a mostly original 1958 Avion (if it checks out on second go over) and am looking for vintage trailer folks in NH who can recommend possible repair people who are excited about old stuff. I'm not looking for a big renovation at this point, as I hope to learn and do as I go along, but I am new to all this and will need guidance on stoves, furnaces, and the like sooner than later.

On the suggestion of a friend I went over to a RV sales and repair place yesterday and the person I talked with was obviously not knowledgeable about and not interested in older trailers. I think he said, "It will be a nightmare..." or some such thing. So I'm looking for suggestions in the Gilmanton/Laconia area of folks who might be good to contact.

Like many almost 60, single women who want to travel in a vintage trailer, I'm curious, have lots of questions, and am willing to learn from people who know more than I do. And it looks to me like you all do!!!!

1. Any suggestions?
2. Should I be posting this on Vintage Kin rather than here?
3. Thanks for all the great stuff I've learned reading here already. I'm impressed.

Patti
awayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
One man's nightmare is anothers addiction! Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find lots of great information to help you with your adventure. As to where to post, I would recommend you post in the forum section that relates to your specific question. Many of the individual components of a trailer are the same, regardless of trailer manufacturer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by awayhome View Post
Hi,

I'm about to buy a mostly original 1958 Avion (if it checks out on second go over) and am looking for vintage trailer folks in NH who can recommend possible repair people who are excited about old stuff. I'm not looking for a big renovation at this point, as I hope to learn and do as I go along, but I am new to all this and will need guidance on stoves, furnaces, and the like sooner than later.

On the suggestion of a friend I went over to a RV sales and repair place yesterday and the person I talked with was obviously not knowledgeable about and not interested in older trailers. I think he said, "It will be a nightmare..." or some such thing. So I'm looking for suggestions in the Gilmanton/Laconia area of folks who might be good to contact.

Like many almost 60, single women who want to travel in a vintage trailer, I'm curious, have lots of questions, and am willing to learn from people who know more than I do. And it looks to me like you all do!!!!

1. Any suggestions?
2. Should I be posting this on Vintage Kin rather than here?
3. Thanks for all the great stuff I've learned reading here already. I'm impressed.

Patti
Patti,

I would suggest Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles in Plattsburg, NY. IN your restoration, you will also find Vintage Trailer Supply in Vermont very helpful.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
You are not alone in your quest and this site will be your bible. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Either that or misery loves company. Its a great adventure and I am sure you will hear from someone in your area that can help. Good Luck-also go to the Silver Sisters forum-you will get alot of encouragement from like minded ladies.