Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
New to AS -What Tools Do I Need

Must bought 2020 Bambi 20’ 1.5 weeks ago. And I pull with a 2020 Tundra. Needless to say, with the way vehicles are today (compared to 60’s and 70’s) there is not much I can do to work on tundra, plus there is warranty and roadside service. But on the trailer. I don’t want to lug around a full Stanley English and Metric socket and rachet set or the other tool box full of odds and ends. I have a smaller bag and am thinking of the following. Just want any idea on what I might be missing.
1) Torque wrench, 3/4 drive, and sockets that can handle both Blue Ox hitch bolts and trailer wheel lugs. And a breaker bar for these to remove.
2) 3 sizes of screw drivers each in flat and Phillips head.
3) Wire cutters, pliers (regular and needle nose), vice grips.
4) Adjustable wrench.
5) Rachet and sockets (I suppose I need to look around at trailer and see what sizes out of the set I would need).
6) Ball peen hammer.
7) I have torx set but don’t think anything uses torx.

What am I missing?
Thanks, Stephen
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I carry basic hand tools, plus battery-powered impact wrench for tire changes. A few spare parts including fuses and a flush valve for the toilet. Beyond that, a cell phone, AAA, and a credit card with a high limit will get you out of most situations.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
digital multimeter, small sockets (1/4 drive) nothing bigger except for the wheels and hitch. Some strap wrenches are useful. IR temperature reader is nice or a thermocouple on the multimeter.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats on getting your AS!

I'd recommend a torque wrench to periodically check the wheel lug bolts.

I carry a roll up tool bag with various wrenches, pliers, etc. I also carry a roll of electrical tape and a vol meter. Plus duct tape. Various lubricants. A small ramp in case of a flat tire on the AS. I find a tape measure to be useful. And since you only have one axle I would highly recommend a TPMS. IMHO that's a critical item.

I also carry a small level, a small box of fuses, and misc. items.

Here are a few pics. There seems to be no end I know but you will find the right combination of tools for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	370097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	370098  

Name:	IMG_4036.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	558.9 KB
ID:	370099  
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Spare Fuses

On the subject of fuses, like rated Spare blade fuse set for Converter zones, Amazon has these kits for cheap. Also spares for the Tow vehicle aux cig lighter/USB Outlets which may be different than these. . Experienced a bad plugin blew all those Outlets and which prevented running lights and control brake to trailer. Always Carry Auto spares now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD79DC0B-6A45-4169-B77C-CF0C82429BCC.png
Views:	38
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	370101  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
While not exactly a hand tool, I carry a few headband LED flashlights in my Airstream tool bag. They're quite useful for setting up camp in the dark...and for identifying the location of that errant spatula that somehow got stuck behind the drawers after a particularly rough patch of I-10 in Louisiana....
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Useful tools

Rivit gun + spare rivits. Helps keep you occupied when sitting around in the evenings.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Don't forget your hoses if they didn't come with the trailer.

- Fresh water hose (usually white)
- Black water flush hose (use a different color other than white)
- Waste hoses and fittings, try connection the hose and fitting before you leave to see what works. We found that ours was missing a few parts.

- AC adapter that goes to 110V and connects to the plug on the end of your grey power cord.
- Short extension cord for lights or other electrical devices. We have a 25' cord to run our little light string hanging off the awning.

- X2 on the rivet gun
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Let's see now,

Wire cutters
wire stripper/crimper
Breaker bar
13/16ths and a 7/8ths sockets
electrical tape
wire connectors
slotted pliers
needle nose pliers
Common screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Cordless drill w/1/4" and a 3/8" adapter
3/4" 3/8" drive socket
Multimeter
Adjustable wrench
Spare fuses for both the AS and TV
Caulking gun and caulk
Assorted sockets and wrenches for TV repair
Flashlight and battery powered lantern
A 12v test light
Battery charger for drill
hand rivet gun (need to get more rivets)
Tape measure
extra extension cords both regular and 30 amp

I think that is close to what I carry, but I know there are things I am forgetting.
I have an older AS and an older TV.
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The only tool that I ever need is the one I didn't bring!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"The only tool that I ever need is the one I didn't bring!" That's my story, too! Others say you only really need two tools: a cell phone and a credit card with a very high limit.

Seriously, I'd suggest you start out with a minimum of tools that you KNOW you will use and then add to that as you see the need. We're full-timers, so most of my tools are with me all the time. If you return to a home base frequently you won't have to carry as much with you, as you can often delay a repair until you return home. In that case you need carry only those tools that will be necessary to get you back on the road when something breaks.

BTW, when we were camping with our kids on vacation we nearly always had to run to the nearest Wal-Mart to get something we already owned but was back home. When we moved into the Foretravel we had the luxury of having it parked literally right outside the front door of the house, so as we needed something we got it from the house and then put it away in the coach. A can opener is a very necessary tool!
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I carry many tool in my truck as a matter of course. As well as spare fuses for everything. Hands down the most useful trailer tool I have is a Dewalt inflater. Takes the 20v batteries I already use in my other cordless kit and has a 12v 12’ extension if I run low on the road. Keeps my tire inflation worries down to zero and I don’t need to lug around a compressor or wiggle into some gas station where I have to pay for air. Milwaukee and Makita also have a version (ryobi is junk) as well. Bonus points for filling of rafts and floats.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-110-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another favorite tool is my Milwaukee 13 in 1 screwdriver, takes care of most things and is a toolbox in your hand...

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:36 AM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
I carry many tool in my truck as a matter of course. As well as spare fuses for everything. Hands down the most useful trailer tool I have is a Dewalt inflater. Takes the 20v batteries I already use in my other cordless kit and has a 12v 12’ extension if I run low on the road. Keeps my tire inflation worries down to zero and I don’t need to lug around a compressor or wiggle into some gas station where I have to pay for air. Milwaukee and Makita also have a version (ryobi is junk) as well. Bonus points for filling of rafts and floats.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-110-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another favorite tool is my Milwaukee 13 in 1 screwdriver, takes care of most things and is a toolbox in your hand...

Ian
I just bought the Dewalt inflater and have to agree it is an awesome tool. I used it for the first time this week and it is so nice not to have to drag an extension cord. Just set the psi you would like, attach it to the valve stem, turn it on and it will stop when the desired psi is attained. And it is relatively quiet.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Read all the above and buy, buy, buy - I carry everything I know I might need and also the "just in case I might need it". Since we 95% boondock the latter is because of lessons learned.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Must bought 2020 Bambi 20’ 1.5 weeks ago. And I pull with a 2020 Tundra. Needless to say, with the way vehicles are today (compared to 60’s and 70’s) there is not much I can do to work on tundra, plus there is warranty and roadside service. But on the trailer. I don’t want to lug around a full Stanley English and Metric socket and rachet set or the other tool box full of odds and ends. I have a smaller bag and am thinking of the following. Just want any idea on what I might be missing.
1) Torque wrench, 3/4 drive, and sockets that can handle both Blue Ox hitch bolts and trailer wheel lugs. And a breaker bar for these to remove.
2) 3 sizes of screw drivers each in flat and Phillips head.
3) Wire cutters, pliers (regular and needle nose), vice grips.
4) Adjustable wrench.
5) Rachet and sockets (I suppose I need to look around at trailer and see what sizes out of the set I would need).
6) Ball peen hammer.
7) I have torx set but don’t think anything uses torx.

What am I missing?
Thanks, Stephen
You may need two torque wrenches if you also torque the hitch ball which may be over 400 fi-lbs. Also, recommend tire rubber leveling blocks. We have a compressor, but haven't used it yet. You may want a battery charger if you your unit sits in storage. You may also want a cutoff switch for battery so not drained by propane detector. You may want a ladder to access top of trailer. A slinky for your sewage line to keep positive drainage. It goes on and on...
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Since we tow with a Ram pickup which has RamBoxes we have all sorts of tools we carry, including a 3-gal “hot dog” air compressor which fits in the Rambox. (In fact it’s the air-source for my trainhorns and runs off the truck’s inverter.) I can air up tires and air-shocks to adjust level, etc, and use a blow-gun when tinkering on the road or in the boonies, and fill up air mattresses for swimming, etc.

But the thing I carry not yet mentioned is a $39 (on sale) HF electric chain saw and extension cord which I can run off my portable generator. Not only is it handy for cutting firewood, but if you boondock and get stuck somewhere it can cut brush for clearway or traction.

While in Chaco Canyon my little 400 watt inverter in my truck also ran my pencil-soldering-gun and repaired some wiring which had failed in the DVD player, so we could watch Robt Redford explain Chaco to us for our outing next day.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
Rivit gun + spare rivits. Helps keep you occupied when sitting around in the evenings.
Remember lots of sharp drill bits in various sizes.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Don't see the need for a rivit gun. You can get it later if you need it. In over five years of owning a Airstream I have never lost more than a few rivits.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
You will be fine with what you have on your list, problems seem to work out, when you are on the road. People are generally friendly and helpful, if you don’t have the right tool, “I might have one”
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I carry a lot of tools in my truck but I was thinking about what tools I actually have used on my trailers in many thousands of miles of use besides stuff to change tires. The answer is very few: Multi-bit ratcheting screw driver, pliers, wire repair crimping tool and various connectors, small roll of 12 gauge wire, electric tape, duct tape, multimeter, can of WD40 and a box of assorted fuses. That is it. I believe in being prepared for anything but that seems like overkill now that I think about it.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote