Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
New Purchase '77 Overlander need help

Hi Everyone,
I couldn't resist buying a 77 Overlander yesterday. I don't need it, but I'll resell it if anyone is interested. My son and I put new tires on it and towed it home. It had been sitting for 13 years. I must say it's in pristine condition if you like that 70s look I previously restored a 67 Caravel so I have a little experience. I need a little help today, however: The front window and two windows next to the door need to be replaced. Where can I get replacements? I have no keys for the battery compartments and all the other compartments. All the compartments (exterior) are unlocked, except the battery compartments. Do I drill them and replace the locks? I sure could use your help. thanks in advance
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
Hi Everyone,
I couldn't resist buying a 77 Overlander yesterday. I don't need it, but I'll resell it if anyone is interested. My son and I put new tires on it and towed it home. It had been sitting for 13 years. I must say it's in pristine condition if you like that 70s look I previously restored a 67 Caravel so I have a little experience. I need a little help today, however: The front window and two windows next to the door need to be replaced. Where can I get replacements? I have no keys for the battery compartments and all the other compartments. All the compartments (exterior) are unlocked, except the battery compartments. Do I drill them and replace the locks? I sure could use your help. thanks in advance
First, any Airstream dealer can get windows for that trailer. You'll need to let them know if you have standard or deluxe openers on them. Second, all the compartment locks use the same key, unless the PO had them all re-keyed differently, like the one for our trailer did. Again, any Airstream dealer can get keys for you.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
My trailer has all sorts of keys. The battery boxes are both different keys too. If it comes to drilling it's easy and replacement locks are cheap from most any good key shop and probably many on-line sources also. Drill through the upper section of the slot. You want to take out the tumblers and then you can turn it with a screwdriver. It's pretty obvious how the replacement goes in so that's easy. If you intend to replace any of the others plan ahead and try and get the locks ahead of time and keyed alike. Will make your life just one small bit easier.

Good luck with your restoration.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Our OVERLANDER has different keys. Battery boxes in front take 1 key. Water fill another,curbside storage another and rear compartment another. I have more keys than you can shake a stick at. I have 2 different keys just for the tongue locks,bought at different times and places. Best is to buy package deals where all wheel and tongue and hitch locks are keyed the same ,it cuts down on comfusion.
Id have a lock smith come out and open(pick) the locks and open the compartments and then have him rekey like the others.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
A locksmith can manually cut a key to fit a lock like that...the last time I had one done it was about $20.

Tags
locks, overlander, window