Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Temecula , California
New Caravel owner in So Cal

Hello all! I'm working on renovating a 68 Caravel in Temecula, Ca. The trailer was donated to a local non-profit that I work with called Oak Grove, which serves at risk youth in the community. Our goal is to renovate the trailer and then sell it at one of our annual auctions. The trailer was in pretty bad shape when we received it. The po's had started a renovation, and gotten as far as taking a sledge hammer(?!) to most of the interior before giving up. (Unfortunately this means there is very little for me to use as templates!). I picked up where they left off and have gotten as far as removing all of the interior skins/rotten insulation, and last week i did a shell-on floor removal.

A local business has been kind enough to donate all the new flooring, and a local woodworker has volunteered his labor for our cabinetry when the time comes. Being that the project is for a non-profit I'm REALLY pleased with this, and want to keep my costs as low as possible, in all areas. Before I can move forward with the flooring/my renovation in general I need to update the plumbing system, and am wondering if there is anyone in the area who would be willing to consult with me on some of the logistics? The forum has been a really great source and I'm eager for any extra help!
Arielwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Okay first just a warning

The old 9" floor tile is Asbestos as are the old brakes. The water pipes contain LEAD. All these are health hazards. You can't just though this stuff in the trash either. Do your research and have fun. regards, Dave
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Maybe this will help

Connecticut doesn't qualify as close by, but maybe some drawings will help. I recently posted some drawings and schematics that monarch and I did for Caravel renovations. Hopefully this link will get you right to the post with the plumbing schematic. Check the thread for more.

Good project, good cause!

John

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...ml#post1048311
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Temecula , California
Thank You John, I actually spent a verrry long time reading this entire thread one night, and found it extremely helpful, but then forgot to bookmark it! You've saved me the trouble of hunting it down and your work is truly inspiring!
Arielwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I am just finishing up my 1968 globetrotter overhaul. I am in Thousand Oaks. I know it well. If you have questions just holler. Have fun with it.
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielwilson View Post
Thank You John, I actually spent a verrry long time reading this entire thread one night, and found it extremely helpful, but then forgot to bookmark it! You've saved me the trouble of hunting it down and your work is truly inspiring!
Thanks for the compliment. Treat that sweet trailer well.

If you keep up a thread, I'll comment when I have internet availability. Who knows, maybe I'll be out your way before it's done. If so, I'd love to lend a hand.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel, plumbing