Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
New Member
 
2020 22' Bambi
Venice , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
New 2020 Bambi 22FB

Hi guys,

My first post. My wife and I just got back from our 3,000 mile road trip with our newly purchased 2020 Bambi 22FB.

Against the dealers suggestions we decided to go on a long trip with our new Airstream, as opposed to a short trip to get to know our new trailer haha.

Anyways all went well and we had a great time. My questions are now that we are back and have the airstream in storage. Im not sure when we are going to be using it again. Hopefully very soon.

Pardon my complete lack of knowledge about airstreams and general RVing.

When we run the water pump and turn on the shower, faucet etc...itís pretty loud inside..is this normal?

Do I need to drain the fresh water tank for storage?
I turned off the main power switch near the bed. We have solar installed.
Should I keep the Black/grey tanks completely empty Or should I keep water in them with a portapak after I flush out all the waste out of them?

What are some other suggestions you guys have for storage? Must dos? Good ideas?
I purchased tire covers on amazon. Anything else?

Thanks for your help and I apologize again for my lack of knowledge.
Johnny562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,016
Congrats on your moxie to just go!

I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions. Here is mine.
Our first rig was a 2015 Bambi 22 sport.

We always store our rig Clean and Dry. We feel this promotes a dry and clean smelling rig.
It also assures that we don't get any slime build-up in the water lines or hot water heater.

We bring home any dirty laundry, including towels, throw rugs, dishtowels.
We always drain the hot water heater (by removing the white plug)
We always drain out the water lines at the low point drains. (for you I believe these are both under the bed by the hot water heater and under the closet floor).
We don't keep any water in any of our tanks during storage.

I keep a gallon of bottled water in the unit. (either 3-4 water bottles, or a actual gallon) This allows us to "flush" the toilet and wash hands en route to our next camping trip, before we get there and get hooked up to water. Super easy.

We store off-site. 90% of the time we camp at places with either electrical and water at the site, or electric at the site and water available at the campground to fill. We will fill and then set up camp at those places.

If we know we will be camped at a place without convenient water (like a national park) then we fill up the fresh water holding tank either the day before at the campground we are at, and we bring 5 gallon can to top off the water if we need to.

We keep a couple of those large "damp rid" desiccant containers in the rig to absorb moisture when we are in storage.

Be sure to keep the fridge open during storage so it doesn't get funky smelling.

As to the water pump noise, it usually only making noise when you are running the water. If it seems to be making a lot of noise when you are not running the water, then you may need to investigate if you have a faulty check valve. We turn it off at night and when we are driving and also when we go out for the day. It is easy to have a faucet turn on during travel by accident. Not good.
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
New Member
 
2020 22' Bambi
Venice , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Congrats on your moxie to just go!

I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions. Here is mine.
Our first rig was a 2015 Bambi 22 sport.

We always store our rig Clean and Dry. We feel this promotes a dry and clean smelling rig.
It also assures that we don't get any slime build-up in the water lines or hot water heater.

We bring home any dirty laundry, including towels, throw rugs, dishtowels.
We always drain the hot water heater (by removing the white plug)
We always drain out the water lines at the low point drains. (for you I believe these are both under the bed by the hot water heater and under the closet floor).
We don't keep any water in any of our tanks during storage.

I keep a gallon of bottled water in the unit. (either 3-4 water bottles, or a actual gallon) This allows us to "flush" the toilet and wash hands en route to our next camping trip, before we get there and get hooked up to water. Super easy.

We store off-site. 90% of the time we camp at places with either electrical and water at the site, or electric at the site and water available at the campground to fill. We will fill and then set up camp at those places.

If we know we will be camped at a place without convenient water (like a national park) then we fill up the fresh water holding tank either the day before at the campground we are at, and we bring 5 gallon can to top off the water if we need to.

We keep a couple of those large "damp rid" desiccant containers in the rig to absorb moisture when we are in storage.

Be sure to keep the fridge open during storage so it doesn't get funky smelling.

As to the water pump noise, it usually only making noise when you are running the water. If it seems to be making a lot of noise when you are not running the water, then you may need to investigate if you have a faulty check valve. We turn it off at night and when we are driving and also when we go out for the day. It is easy to have a faucet turn on during travel by accident. Not good.
Thanks for the reply. I will head to the storage this week and drain the water heater.

Do I need to do anything with the batteries?
Johnny562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny562 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will head to the storage this week and drain the water heater.

Do I need to do anything with the batteries?
Johnny,

Do not drain your water heater!.
Do not drain your low point drains!
That advice might be for people who live where in freezes. Not you in Venice, CA. I'm in Redondo Beach, just down the street from you.
__________________
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny562 View Post
Hi guys,

My first post. My wife and I just got back from our 3,000 mile road trip with our newly purchased 2020 Bambi 22FB.

Against the dealers suggestions we decided to go on a long trip with our new Airstream, as opposed to a short trip to get to know our new trailer haha.

Anyways all went well and we had a great time. My questions are now that we are back and have the airstream in storage. Im not sure when we are going to be using it again. Hopefully very soon.

Pardon my complete lack of knowledge about airstreams and general RVing.

When we run the water pump and turn on the shower, faucet etc...itís pretty loud inside..is this normal?

Do I need to drain the fresh water tank for storage?
I turned off the main power switch near the bed. We have solar installed.
Should I keep the Black/grey tanks completely empty Or should I keep water in them with a portapak after I flush out all the waste out of them?

What are some other suggestions you guys have for storage? Must dos? Good ideas?
I purchased tire covers on amazon. Anything else?

Thanks for your help and I apologize again for my lack of knowledge.
A lot depends on how long you'll be and how stored.

Your fresh water tank should be ok for a couple weeks I like to drain and fill before a trip... I use a 2 stage filter.

No need to drain water heater in So Cal! You shouldn't have to winterize unless freezing expected.

You should have at least a gallon in your waste tanks. I use Happy Camper mixed in gallon of water in black tank and if long storage the gray tank too. More "organic" that the blue stuff. Try it! Don't let the black tank dry out! Make sure you keep water in the toilet bowl so the seal won't dry out.

Yes the water pump can be loud! I think the pipes can be close to walls and vibrate hammer on them... no worries.

Tire covers are good!

You have solar so if in the full sun you should be OK to leave the batteries. Obviously if covered storage you'll need to tend to the batteries. In that case at least unhook the negative cable to avoid parasitic drains and even better get a charger and bring them home. Take a photo of battery compartment so you can hook up exactly how they came out.

Turn off propane. Most storage requires this.

Leave fridge door ajar.

Don't forget to torque your lug nuts!

I'm probably forgetting something vital but that's basics!

Have fun!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,016
On the contrary.

We drain our water system before storage to keep it from sitting and cooking in the hot sun and getting fetid.

Active chlorine in treated water is only available for about 48 hour before it breaks down. If the water was run through a filter, even less time.

We drain our tank and lines to avoid slime and bacteria build up. It keeps them fresh.

I know that many people do not do this. But it is what we do and we feel that it keeps things from getting funky.

Read up on legionnaires disease and google slime in RV hot water heaters if you want to find out more.
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 22' Sport
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
There are numerous mentions of noisy water pumps on this forum. It happens in our 2017 22FB when we fill the fresh water tank. Our solution is to bleed water out of the water heater to create an air-gap.
Turn off the pump and open the galley and lav faucets. Go out to the water heater compartment and open the pressure relief valve (carefully if the tank is full of heated water). Let the water drain there for a bit, close the pressure relief valve, shut off the two faucets inside, then turn the water pump back on. This procedure usually does the trick for us. However, I might have to try a couple of times. One would think that Airstream would do something to ďsolveĒ our problem.
Good luck and enjoy your trailer. We sure have enjoyed ours.
Travelerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expanding Solar on 2020 Bambi 22FB boldie24 Generators & Solar Power 3 07-09-2021 06:14 AM
the 2020 caravel 22FB walkthrough waninae39 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 4 01-16-2021 04:24 PM
Overhead speakers in 2020 Caravel 22FB malicoreon 2020 And Newer Caravel 31 06-15-2020 09:41 AM
Danby Microwave and trim kit - New, removed from my new 2020 Bambi 22FB nomadiclife Airstream Classifieds 0 11-16-2019 08:26 AM
Dinette table, bench frame, and cushions from 2020 Bambi 22FB nomadiclife Airstream Classifieds 0 11-16-2019 08:23 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.