Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Austin , Texas
Needed: One slightly used land yacht engine

My quest to truly be an airstream rver continues, although I have only had 4 hours total time in my RV.

The latest saga...while having my freshly purchased RV in a reputable shop to get oil changes and transmission work done, they found some coolant leaks. In repairing those leaks, the mechanic inadvertently dropped some form of tool into the engine without realizing. You can guess what happened next when they started the engine....CATASTROPHIC FAILURE!

The company was very upfront and honest about the incident and immediately got their insurance involved to cover the issue. They are currently out searching the globe for a replacement engine. So, I figured I would do my part to help in hopes that one can be found and we don't have to Total the RV... I truly love this thing and would hate to have to give up my membership in this forum!

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can search for a 1997 Land Yacht GM P30 engine with 60,000 miles or less?
2. If I do find this engine and get it installed, how does that affect resale down the road?

Thanks everyone!
Johnsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I think you should go for a rebuilt engine and your shop should know where to get one - Napa comes to mind -
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

Way up yonder in Round Rock, we have used the following with good results:
http://qualityengineexchangetx.com/

The specs you give will determine your expectations and their goals to meet.

If your engine not repairable, they will provided suitable substitute. They can also tell you how to determine the block manufacturer, build dates, serial, etc.

For resale, I would say there should not be much negative impact if replacement properly done. However, while you will have a "zero time" engine, you still have impact and loss of use to be settled. I don't expect "matching numbers" would be as important. Still, if engine can be repaired, having original block may be Kewl.

With any rebuild make sure the block is "line bored and honed", cylinders all match, pistons and connecting rods all balance weighed.... Get a new vibration damper. Etc.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I recall swapping the engine in a 1992 Chev 3/4 ton van from a 305 to a 350. The mechanic ordered a some kind of "short block" from the GM dealer - it included the pistons and crank etc, but not the valve covers. The peripherals from the 305 were reused (alternator, etc) except for the water pump and fan housing. The new block came with a 1-year warranty as I recall.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Also check out Jasper Engine in southern Indiana. They rebuild engines.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Just remember that a rebuilt engine generally carries a 90-day warranty which is covered only by the rebuilder. I recall that the GM short block had either a 1-year or 2-year warranty, which was valid at any GM authorized repair shop (dealer).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Austin , Texas
Update...a very good engine was found with a three year parts and labor warranty. Should be back in business by Wednesday. Thanks everyone for your feedback, ideas and recommendations on this one.
Johnsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsito View Post
Update...a very good engine was found with a three year parts and labor warranty. Should be back in business by Wednesday. Thanks everyone for your feedback, ideas and recommendations on this one.
Break on carefully!!!

See if you can get the tool and mount on a plaque.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote