Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Need help with hornets

When we first purchased the Bambi II last year, we thought we eradicated the hornets by removing the nest we found in the refrigerator vent. Well, I just noticed today that the hornet's are back. Any feedback on how to deal with this infestation would be much appreciated!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
I suggest you enlist the help of an exterminator. We had a real problem with carpenter ants and didn't get it under control until we called an exterminator. You may have to call several companies until you find one that is willing to treat your Airstream. Some exterminators will only treat homes.

Good Luck!

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
When we first purchased the Bambi II last year, we thought we eradicated the hornets by removing the nest we found in the refrigerator vent. Well, I just noticed today that the hornet's are back. Any feedback on how to deal with this infestation would be much appreciated!
Once those bugs get it into their little heads to build a nest somewhere, they will continue to build there, until you kill them all. Unfortunately that means you will probably have to use a spray, like wasp and hornet spray. This stuff will shoot a stream up to 15' away from where you are, so you have less chance of getting stung. You can try the non-poisonous approach, but if there are any of their friends at home depot getting nest-building supplies, they will just rebuild and continue being a nuisance.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Spray will take several times if they all come back to the nest I would suggest the spary method only on cool mornings or at dusk when it has cooled down. The other method is to dress in heavy layered cloths and use a shop vac on the same time of day mentioned above. Do not block there enterance until you are sure that you have all of them and then put a screen over the vent.
Good luck.
Oh I would suggest borrowing a bee keepers vail and hat. "strongly" :
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
I keep a bee hive (or did until they up and died over the winter) but with the requisit uniform of veil, gloves, and suit you too can feel like the terminator! I haven't had anything nesting in my Safari but had problems with white faced hornets in some bushes around the deck I try and keep trimmed. It's a wierd feeling to see them start to swarm you and not to have to outrun them and well worth the price of the get-up.
Hasta la vista baby!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation

Moogie32

We forgot 1 thing use duck tape on pant cuffs and shirt sleeves or you will do a dance thats never been done before.
We keeped bees also kind of miss the honey but not getting stung.
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote