Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by evamcmahan View Post
I recently repaired two dents in my rear top panel on which the “Airstream” letters and three running lights reside. The dents were from falling walnuts, without creasing. I did a great deal of research on the Internet. There was a very helpful video on you tube of an AIrstream owner pulling out hail dents with the Eastwood “Paintless Dent Removal Kit”. I found the kit on the Eastwood web site and ordered one. It did a really good job on my dents. My dents, fortunately, had no creasing. The Eastwood site has instructional videos, also. The way it works is that you hot glue plastic devices to the dents, then pull on the devices with either the slide hammer or the hand squeeze device, both of which are included in the kit. You pull on the plastic device until it breaks loose, then use alcohol to remove the squished hot glue spot from the aluminum. It’s amazing! I could not imagine, but it does not damage the clear coat whatsoever. I also used it on a neighbor’s car, and it did not damage the paint. There are several you tube videos of guys using the kit on a car, which you can easily find and view. All that having been said, it will pull out your dents quite a bit, but it will still look bad. You have a lot of creasing, as did my neighbor’s car, and you will therefore not get a very good result. My great deal of time on the Internet also led me to another method. You can drill out the rivets on the inside panel and remove the panel. You can then push out the dents from the inside. Then you can replace the inside panel with pop rivets, which is what the factory did. That way you do not need the several hundred dollars of special tools and special waterproofing rivets to reinstall the outside panel. Unfortunately, pushing and pounding out the dents from the inside or by removal of the dented outside panel, will not restore the dented area to factory condition, despite being able to hammer the metal between a dolly and hammerhead. From my research and limited experience, I conclude that you will not get a nice job from anything but replacement with a new panel. You have damage to the window as well, so those parts will need replaced since I doubt if removal and attempted straightening will give a really nice result. I have heard from other owners that there are Airstream dealers that can do this work, as well as Jackson Center. Colonial Airstream, in New Jersey, the top selling dealer in the country, has you tube videos of them replacing outside panels. If I were you, I’d email customer service at Jackson Center, and at Colonial Airstream, with photos and ask for advice about how they would proceed, cost, and scheduling. By the way, in the past every January and February the Jackson Center factory has solicited service appointments offering discounts during that slow period. I received no such solicitation this year, however, and my guess is that they are busy because Airstreamers are not snowbirding, but staying home because of Covid. Good luck.
Thanks! Yes, I have contacted JC via email over a week ago...no response yet. I will call them tomorrow and get on their schedule. I have also contacted Todd in Burnet, and he is giving me an estimate. Down side, is he also has to go thru a dealer to order from JC, for the panels so not sure how long that will take overall. I have looked at some videos, bought some suction cup dent pullers, and started working on it a little with some success so far. The dents/bends/creases around the belt line under the window are the most difficult and because the window seems to have been "pushed" a little causing the slight crease behind the awning, is an issue. Insurance says window, and both upper/lower panels need to be replaced and will pay for that, around $5K so far...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
You said that you have tried suction cup dent pullers. Maybe you infer that the Eastwood Paintless Dent Removal Kit would therefore be redundant. Respectfully, that is not so. I got a good suction cup dent puller before getting the Eastwood kit, and it was practically worthless. They are not equal. The hot glue pulling method is far, far superior. I am letting you know of my experience with both, for your future reference. I don’t advise you to get the Eastwood kit for your present circumstance because, as I stated, it will not correct the severe creasing you have.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
You said that you have tried suction cup dent pullers. Maybe you infer that the Eastwood Paintless Dent Removal Kit would therefore be redundant. Respectfully, that is not so. I got a good suction cup dent puller before getting the Eastwood kit, and it was practically worthless. They are not equal. The hot glue pulling method is far, far superior. I am letting you know of my experience with both, for your future reference. I don’t advise you to get the Eastwood kit for your present circumstance because, as I stated, it will not correct the severe creasing you have.
Thanks. I did use a hair dryer to heat up while I was pulling with the suction cups, and I can not get to get hold in few places, so yes, i was considering a kit like you describe; I saw in a few videos. I agree with your analysis. I plan to follow up with JC today and see when I can get on the schedule. Meanwhile, i will also try to get local help.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Update- I have a date at JC in late May, and am working with the folks recommended in Carrollton area also to see when they might be able to fix.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Clobbered panels

Hey, congrats, gypsy. That’s just around the corner. Looks like your repair is imminent, regardless of the method.

You got a lot of good advice here, as usual.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
Hey, congrats, gypsy. That’s just around the corner. Looks like your repair is imminent, regardless of the method.

You got a lot of good advice here, as usual.
yes, the Forum is great for that for sure! I am trying to reschedule JC visit from May to Oct. so I can make Alumalina since driving that far from Georgetown TX is a hike..interm, I am going to make another run at Todd here in Austin area to see if he can at least do some band aid repair work. I did take to CA in Feburary for a couple week trip, and no issues/leaks....just looks bad from the rear...(embarissing, really.) So, will see what JC says and if I can get into Todd..
Old 04-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Google out of doors mart they have most repair items plus a reputable AS dealer & parts department.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote