Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
KLK
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Wimberley , Texas
Question Need advice for temporary insulation for summer TX heat

I’m living in my 1966 30’ Sovereign Airstream in central TX.
My AC went out so I bought a portable one, but it’s not doing the job.
I have access to some carpet pad material.
What are thoughts of glueing strips to the interior roof and if so, what product should I use to attach it that won’t leave permanent glue on the ceiling when I remove it?
106 degrees today outside.
Thank you!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I doubt that carpet pads have much insulation value. I think you would be disappointed with the results. Your best results will come from keeping your trailer out of the sun. Building a canopy with tarps would be a better short term solution, IMO.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You need to replace the AC. One thing that helps cooling a lot if you are where you can do is to mist water on the roof and sunny sides of the trailer with a garden hose. All awnings deployed. All the carpet is going to do is to add mass to hold heat and make it worse. Another thing is to block off the space in the trailer so you are only cooling a small space. Me, I would probably be in a motel room with AC until I got the AC replaced. Or riding around all day in the truck with the AC going.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You need to replace the AC. One thing that helps cooling a lot if you are where you can do is to mist water on the roof and sunny sides of the trailer with a garden hose. All awnings deployed. All the carpet is going to do is to add mass to hold heat and make it worse. Another thing is to block off the space in the trailer so you are only cooling a small space. Me, I would probably be in a motel room with AC until I got the AC replaced. Or riding around all day in the truck with the AC going.

Purchase a roll of this to cover windows and exhaust fan opening

Reflectix Double Reflective Insulation.

Like someone has stated above Change out AC until then rent a room.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Most of the "portable" AC units are garbage, because they only have an "exhaust" hose that goes to the outdoors, but no inlet. As a result, you are pumping the air you have already cooled out the exhaust port, and drawing hot air into the trailer through every crack.

If you can get your hands on a "cheap" 10k or better window unit, and have the ability to jury-rig a mount for it in one of your windows, you might find some relief. But definitely, putting Reflectix in all your windows and vents, and parking in the shade will be better than nothing.

My heart goes out to you!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
As said - get out of the direct sunlight , a canopy .
I had the same issue - roof air died , so I used 1/4 plywood , took off the screen holders and used as a pattern for he screw holes , then cut a hole in the plywood to match a regular window AC , but the hole should be low as possible in window opening .
Now mount the plywood with the screws that held the screen frame inplace .
Then slide the window AC into the hole in plywood .
DO NOT TAVIAL WITH AC IN THIS !
I have a rear bedroom and did not want to have AC blow directly on the bed , so put one window AC in mid-bath window and another in front living room window .
I use 2 AC units because both units are small 500 btu AC units .
Also for a quick cheap , a garden soaker hose making a U shape long enough to make a U shape a wet down both sides of trailer - You do not need more then enough to just keep the roof wet .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Yes a portable garage would work well.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
Also for a quick cheap , a garden soaker hose making a U shape long enough to make a U shape a wet down both sides of trailer - You do not need more then enough to just keep the roof wet .
Great idea!
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Shade

Insulation does not work as well as shade. Reduce direct heat intake to your RV by parking it under a tree, or better yet buy some shade cloth from a greenhouse supply company, put up 4 or 6 vertical posts and suspend it 4' to 5' above the roof of your RV
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote