Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
College Station , Texas
Unhappy mystery leak under wardrobe

Hi, all-

I keep encountering a mystery intermittent water leak in our 2009 Flying Cloud 27' FB. The quick background on me is that I have only been in here about 3 weeks, and it is my father's Airstream that he is kindly letting us use while our daughter is in the hospital. He is stumped, but hasn't been able to come out here since I've noticed it. I've done a search or two here, but haven't found anything helpful yet.

What we keep finding is a small trickle of water coming from under the wardrobe and running down the hall toward the bedroom area. I have opened the hatch where the water pump is under the wardrobe and have found a few tiny puddles, but haven't ever spotted what the source is. I can see that there is the hot and cold water to the shower and the shower drain in there, in addition to the water pump. We have never turned on the shower in the weeks we have been here.

I keep trying to troubleshoot but to no avail.

Most recently (just now), I discovered the water again after leaving the water heater on and cleaning a dish. Of course, I came across the water an hour or so later. I am now trying to re-create the conditions (water heater turned on, ran some hot water in the kitchen for about 10 minutes) and checking the area with a flashlight every few minutes. My dad suggested condensation a few times, but we are having our coolest, dryest day ever here today (maxing out at around 70 degrees); I am just running some of the fans, no heating or cooling (other than running the water heater).

If anyone can help or point me in a direction, I am desperate for some help. Hopefully I've provided enough detail for someone to have an "aha!" moment.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Zach
toupsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the back side of the water heater near where you are seeing the water? I had an Airstream in the shop last week with a water leak, and it turned out the winterization bypass hose was dribbling. It was worse when the water heater was running, since that put a small amount of extra presure on the fittings.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
College Station , Texas
My troubleshooting paid off a bit; I can see water dripping down in the back of the water pump area. There does appear to be a copper hose running up that way, which could be the source.

I don't know is where the water heater is located; trying to find that out now. Also trying to figure out how I can get eyes on the source.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
College Station , Texas
OK, so first off, I was wrong at first and this is a 25', not 27'.

Opened the screw-off panel at the back of the wardrobe and found a clear plastic device attached to a pipe. I am about 90% sure this is the source of the leak.

Does anyone know what it is and/or why it might leak?

Photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

-Zach
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
There are several line fittings around the water pump that are hand tightened and one may have worked its way loose. I've found it easier to work in there by removing the floor of the wardrobe rather than trying to work through the small hatch. Look for the water heater in the bottom of the vanity cabinet in the bathroom.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toupsz
OK, so first off, I was wrong at first and this is a 25', not 27'.

Opened the screw-off panel at the back of the wardrobe and found a clear plastic device attached to a pipe. I am about 90% sure this is the source of the leak.

Does anyone know what it is and/or why it might leak?

Photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

-Zach
That's the back flow preventer for the black tank rinse kit. The only time water is in there is when a hose is connected to the inlet for the rinser. The fitting on mine is in the street side forward underbelly compartment, it is the one towards the inside of the compartment.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
College Station , Texas
Unhappy

Hmm...that's very strange. I have only seen the leak from below where I could definitely see water dripping down. I have not managed to see it from above (inside the wardrobe where I took the picture).

I hand-tightened the fittings around the breaker, but I did not notice any other place where water might drip down. I'll see about reproducing the problem again and look again...