Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #1

Post Mouse problems

Hello,

My wife and I are new to this site and relatively new owners of our 88 excella. Has anyone out there had problems with mice in their trailers? How are they getting in to the camper, and how do we prevent it from happening? Any advice that you seasoned airstreamers can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
88Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a Personal Message to Over59. He appears to be quite concerned with this particular issue.

While I had no mice, my Overlander has experienced squirrels, birds, and a snake skin on the belly skin while it sat idle for 23 years.

But you are probably okay...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
all our Exs lived in Texas

We think we picked him up in Amarillo, the only warm place we stayed last month. First evidence was the camp towel that I carry to wipe condensation from the windows, looked like a decorative doily, ie new bed(?) Then our ziplocks in the pantry had tiny holes, then the gorp was hit hard, nearly gone except for raisins (my least favorite too.) I moved all the containers except for cans and bottles into a large rubbermaid container we keep in the car to organize odds and ends. When we got home my husband bought a Victor Electronic Mouse Trap, telling me that the mouse would freeze should we release him here in subzero temperature, and the package says it meets the international humane kill standards (hmmm ) It works on batteries and blinks when the job is done. I suppose it's preferable to the spring type but I would have prefered the capture one like we used in summer for the garage.

I would also be very interested in knowing how to mouseproof and seal up where ever he got into the trailer.

I think it's a Classic case for you and me. Our Safari was never permeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Excella
Hello,

My wife and I are new to this site and relatively new owners of our 88 excella. Has anyone out there had problems with mice in their trailers? How are they getting in to the camper, and how do we prevent it from happening? Any advice that you seasoned airstreamers can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
all you folks with mouse problems take a look under the front of the trailer where the umbilical cord enters the belly of the trailer.

you will find an oversized hole and grommet where the cable enters. the cable and break away wiring only occupies about half of the hole. fill the remaining space with silicone or vulkem. this should cure your invasion.

note, you may need to drop your spare tire to get at the hole/grommet.

it worked for me!

john
Old 01-23-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I had lot's of problems with the gray ball getting all goobered up with lint. Since I switched to an optical mouse, no more problems!!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You are

right on the ball Pick. Hey you aren't playing cat and mouse with us are you?

John, passed the info onto hubby and he will be filling the gap. Thanks.

(My mouse may have been optically challenged, you may have heard of those other two blind mice?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I had lot's of problems with the gray ball getting all goobered up with lint. Since I switched to an optical mouse, no more problems!!

photography
Old 01-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I thought mice were supposed to be in Airstreams! I've thought about giving them names, but they don't communicate with me too well. (Poor things with their squished little bodies in my mouse traps.)

Joking aside, we've seen then in all sorts of rigs here at the park, not just Airstreams.

Lynn
Old 01-24-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Airstreams are Mouse Magnets

Or so it seems. We trapped 13 so far this winter but it now looks as if we have exhausted the area of the little critters. Haven't caught one in a month. We use peanut butter and good ol' spring traps.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Unhappy a peanut sat in an Airstream trap...

it's heart was all aflutter, along came the vermon mouse---ZAP ZAP ZAP--peanut butter. Hubby used peanut butter too. After the deed was done I asked to see the "casualty." GASP-- head exploded electronically-- brain mass every where! I thought--ARGH---- NOT----he laughed, "that's the peanut butter." Ohh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Or so it seems. We trapped 13 so far this winter but it now looks as if we have exhausted the area of the little critters. Haven't caught one in a month. We use peanut butter and good ol' spring traps.

photography
Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking Sonic Pest Chasers

We use a Sonic Pest chaser, HD has several brands. Never had a problem in our campers or Camp in the mountains.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

We had a mouse or mice in our trailer after I brought the cat back to Georgia from Colorado. I think my husband thought it was cute.
I thought it was pretty gross. Seeing it's droppings on the counter and table.
I left Bucky in Georgia and got another meezer when I returned to Colorado. never saw any sign of the mouse again. Although the new cat often stared at the open area under the kitchen sink.
we did put out traps before we got the cat but it would get the bait without setting off the trap. We did get one in the truck the morning we left to come home.
They are filthy, nasty and carry the hanta virus in the southwest. Nothing cute about that. Do whatever you can to get rid of them.
Just the smell of a cat will get them to leave.
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #12
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Angry Meeses & WORSE

Well...i'M not going to get so graphic...not even for mice or rats...& I'm not sure about meeses...but RATS...I AM sure how to 'catch' them in the traps. Maybe it will work on the mice.

Surround the 'bait' (a BALL OF COTTON BATTING) in peanut butter...and when they go to retrieve the peanut butter, it's securely 'fastened' to the cottonball, and to the trap. When they go to pull it off...SNAP! (NOT a lovely thought ...but hey! that h.virus, rabies, and other nasty stuff. 3 years ago, we caught an illusive RAT that measured 18 inches long from his nose to the tip of his tail (measured post-mortum of course!). YIKES... & he was DEADER THAN A DOORNAIL. (with a smile on his face and a fluff of the cotton batting meshed up with the peanut butter hanging out of his mouth! --- Awwwwwwwwwww ... he died happy!

THANK GOD FOR CATS...
&
THANK GOD FOR LEVELOR BLINDS, IF IT WEREN'T FOR THEM, IT'D BE CURTAINS FOR ALL OF US!"
Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
They are filthy, nasty and carry the hanta virus in the southwest.
A week or two ago I saw a very interesting program on TV (Science Channel?) about hanta virus; it was very much in the vein of a medical mystery. Of interest, however, was this: Hanta virus is by no means restricted to the southwest. That's only where it happened to get into humans and spread. The virus appears in mice just about everywhere, though.
Lynn
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
A week or two ago I saw a very interesting program on TV (Science Channel?) about hanta virus; it was very much in the vein of a medical mystery. Of interest, however, was this: Hanta virus is by no means restricted to the southwest. That's only where it happened to get into humans and spread. The virus appears in mice just about everywhere, though.
Lynn
Oh sorry Lynn,
I didn't mean to imply that Hanta was only found in the Southwest. The first known outbreak of that particular strain was on the Navajo Reservation in 1993. It was due to the drought that had occured there and suddenly ended and that the deer mice were able to rapidly reproduce. Hence creating a more likely contact of mice and men. (grin)

When Tom and I were driving around Pagosa Springs looking at older airstreams Hanta Virus kept popping in my mind. I was concerned as some of these old trailers had been sitting for years and had lots of mice nest in them.

Interesting account on the cdc website.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...enlsection.htm

I know how much you and your wife love Angel Fire. We love the four corners area as well. Hope to live there someday. We'll have cats to get the mice
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
Oh sorry Lynn,
I didn't mean to imply that Hanta was only found in the Southwest. The first known outbreak of that particular strain was on the Navajo Reservation in 1993. It was due to the drought that had occured there and suddenly ended and that the deer mice were able to rapidly reproduce. Hence creating a more likely contact of mice and men. (grin)
No offense taken! I was more concerned that folks would think that they're safe from Hanta Virus merely by being outside of the southwest!

Lynn
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #16
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Mice and criters,

Hi all,
Has anyone used moth balls or Downy softners towels. I have used them and no more mice in trailer. It looks like the criters do not like the smell and stay away.
Regards Russell
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Softener towels didn't work for me

I tried the Downy approach with two boxes worth spread all over and in every nook and cranny. All it did was keep me away! I stick with the tried and true spring loaded mouse traps with a dab of peanut butter. They work consistently.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #18

2000 34' Limited
St. Petersburg , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
all you folks with mouse problems take a look under the front of the trailer where the umbilical cord enters the belly of the trailer.

you will find an oversized hole and grommet where the cable enters. the cable and break away wiring only occupies about half of the hole. fill the remaining space with silicone or vulkem. this should cure your invasion.

note, you may need to drop your spare tire to get at the hole/grommet.

it worked for me!

john
I found the umbilical hole just where you said and the heavy plastic airstream uses to protect carpet was chewed about a half dollar round. Edges felt like a hacksaw blade. i've set traps and no takers so far. Have searched every nook & cranny for nest. Tea bags was the only thing chewed. Question, if I seal openiing will the little buggers be trapped inside, die & stink up the TT. Maybe die where I can't get to 'em. First time mice in 8 years. Thanks, Don
AIRBORNE SUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
We have tried fresh cab
http://www.pioneerheritageshoppe.com/airfreshener.htm
We've put 1/2 of the packet in each rear side compartment, so far so good.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Electronic Devices

I've been using the electronic devices in the Airstream and in my camp in Maine. The first year I stored the AS next to my garage for the winter I had one or two mice. Since using the electronic device I haven't had any return. The same holds true for the camp - which is in the worst possible location, mounted off the ground on posts, 15' from the lake, and surrounded by trees. (I do use mothballs in the enclosed crawl space under the camp!) No mice or other "critters" in over three years. This year, two things are different; the AS is in storage here in Florida with no electrical hook-up for the electronic device and, the camp is vacant, with the heat set at 55 degrees, mothballs in place, and the electronic device fully active. I made real sure that I didn't leave anything edible in the trailer or the camp. We'll see how it goes!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote