Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

mounting Roof Rack to 190B (Thule)

I would like to mount a Thule style roof rack to the fiberglass top of my 190B to carry my Stand up paddle boats and kayaks. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to best do this. Although they are not heavy, my main concern is that if I screw the racks directly into the Fiberglass, will the they hold under the stress of driving and the wind resistance. Is there plywood or wood supports under the fiberglass that I can use to get a better secure the rack. Leaving for Maine in a few weeks and this would be a great addition to my 190B

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
raudi1jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I would not rely upon the strength of the fiberglass. Instead, through-bolt to a metal backing plate the same thickness and dimensions as the mounting flange. It's okay if the backing plate is larger, but not smaller, but make sure all corners are rounded. Waterproof all under the mounting flanges with polysulfide or similar.

Install the mounting flanges as close to an interior wall as you can get, to provide maximum stiffness. You do not want the weight carried in the middle of a large open space, which will cause the fiberglass to flex under load every time you hit a bump and which will eventually cause the fiberglass gelcoat to crack.

Very important, if the fiberglass has a balsa core (not uncommon in boats, but I don't know about RVs) you will need to fill the bolt holes completely with epoxy resin (basically epoxy the bolts into place) to ensure that any leaks that DO develop will not soak into the balsa and cause it to swell or rot.