Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Mothership dissapointment

So, drove 3 hours last week for my scheduled appointment at the factory service center. Had a few things for them to take care of, door deadbolt, spare tire recall, small dent in the underskirt and while I had it in I figured I'd have them add the solar panels and lithium batteries which was the only option not on my 30 FB Bunk when I bought it new in 2018.

So dropped it off on Wednesday, drove home, they called to let me know it was done Friday so I had them leave it in the terraport to pick up Friday night. Everything looked fine, but upon returning home Saturday (spent Friday night in the terraport to avoid Friday-night trafffic), needless to say to my surprise that they never really completed the job. The wires were leff just laying on the roof, and upon getting up there to fasten them, a 3/8" wrench was left on the roof, stuck just sitting on the edge of the roof on the awning. Can't believe it didn't fly off and hit someone on the highway, but hopefully it was the only tool left behind. So needless to say at $144/hr in labor costs, and an e-mail apology I'm grossly disappointed. I guess next time I'll just take my chances with my local dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_103131.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	405526
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Did you return the wrench?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Good help (or any help these days) is hard to find! Such a critical shortage of skilled trades.

Of course you don't have to be skilled to leave tools behind.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is the second story about bad service at JC I've heard in the last two days. I hope this is not a trend. Looks like they just plain forgot to fasten down the wires. I'm guessing the wrench was right where the "technician" left it when he went to lunch.

I'm due to hit the factory once again for some major warranty work in November.

Were you able to finish the work yourself or are you returning to Airstream to have them complete it? Also, what did Airstream service say about the incomplete work? Did they give you an explanation?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
This is the second story about bad service at JC I've heard in the last two days. I hope this is not a trend. Looks like they just plain forgot to fasten down the wires. I'm guessing the wrench was right where the "technician" left it when he went to lunch.

I'm due to hit the factory once again for some major warranty work in November.

Were you able to finish the work yourself or are you returning to Airstream to have them complete it? Also, what did Airstream service say about the incomplete work? Did they give you an explanation?

Y’all are making me nervous about what’s going to roll off the “assembly line”. My rig is due at the end of the month.[emoji53]
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
So I emailed them with the same pic, they came back with the offer to ship the parts, outside of wire mounts and zip ties I'm not sure what that would consist of (and I already had them on hand). Asked if I had a "mobile tech" in the area that could do it, but I told them I'd just take care of it myself at this point. I'm assuming the tech mounted the panels plugged them in and then did the rest of the wiring and battery replacement and just simply forgot to go back up and fasten them down. I get good help is hard to find, but a bit of quality control checks and the fact this was noticeable without going on the roof itself they should have caught the miss before dragging it out to the terraport for me to pickup. Guess next time I'll take my chances with my dealership instead (that is, if it's not something I can do myself).
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
So I emailed them with the same pic, they came back with the offer to ship the parts, outside of wire mounts and zip ties I'm not sure what that would consist of (and I already had them on hand). Asked if I had a "mobile tech" in the area that could do it, but I told them I'd just take care of it myself at this point. I'm assuming the tech mounted the panels plugged them in and then did the rest of the wiring and battery replacement and just simply forgot to go back up and fasten them down. I get good help is hard to find, but a bit of quality control checks and the fact this was noticeable without going on the roof itself they should have caught the miss before dragging it out to the terraport for me to pickup. Guess next time I'll take my chances with my dealership instead (that is, if it's not something I can do myself).
Well, good luck with the dealership. It's not my first choice. I do have a question about the work done at JC. Did you not walk down to the service center to talk to your service tech? I always do that and they are happy to invite you in to inspect their work before it is delivered to the Terraport.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
No excuse for that. Supervisor needs to be more involved with techs signing work order when finished and reviewed before customer picks up/pays for. Trouble is, it's not just AS who have these issues from time to time. I had my F250 fresh oil change, drain in my driveway in May, day after the service. I am scheduled for Monday 11 service, and I will surely get to know who is working on my rig for the week, each day I will check in. Thanks for the heads up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The service manager Brad is no longer the service manager with Airstream. I liked Brad. When we went back for another service call, he remembered my name and why I was there. He recognized me when I walked in the door. I was even wearing a mask!

This ultimately falls on the new service manager's watch.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Man, that is really pathetic.

I have learned in this day and age that if anything has been touched by human hands, preflight it before you drive away.

That includes everything from your fast food at the drive trough, to expensive premium travel trailers, apparently.

I am scheduled to pick up my new 2022 Globetrotter in early December. In addition to spending a couple of hours crawling all over it at the dealer before leaving, we will camp for a couple of days near the dealer, for a good shake down cruise.

Everybody gets a trophy these days, right?
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
In 2007 we towed our 2006 Safari with a list of fixes from Kansas City to ASJC. It was a five day camp out of repair work. Took three tours of the plant. Lots going on. I had no idea how to work on an Airstream.

Now we do the work when possible.

Our 2014 was perfect from day one until we sold it.

Our 2019 was perfect, until lately, finding dimples in the front aluminum on each side of the storage compartment and possible Front End Detachment of the aluminum shell in behind of the Battery Box.

Should have kept the 2014. Now I have grey hair...

ASJC have their 'experienced employees' do the Warranty Service... we were told in 2007. We were 100% pleased with the Warranty Work done at that time. Nancy and I are focused when checking things out after... repairs. We found the problems, and we made sure they worked before... we left.

Enough said... I try to do most the work myself if I can get the parts. The 'warranty' varies depending on what needs repairs from whomever made the product within your trailer.

This Front End Separation issues with Front Beds... now I am concerned. If they cannot do it right at the Factory... how can they FIX IT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	405675   Click image for larger version

Name:	97B367E4-67CA-4288-9D24-0187ECF65757_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	405676  

Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
That's unconscionable. I think you are due back some of that $144/hr, in fact, if you spent a few hours up there yourself (or with a helper), tell them you (and your helper's rate) rate is $175/hr.

Unacceptable. Multiple failures.....IE left tools, unsecured wiring. Sorry, unskilled, green employees or not, whenever we get a new tech, they work for a few weeks (min) with the seasoned tech. If you can't provide the level of services needed to service your customers properly, they you should not be learning on the customer's dime IMHO!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
I will be in JC all week getting my repairs done. I have to stay in a hotel at least 2 nights, I was told today...I will arrive Sunday and hope to leave by Friday for Alumalina. I will report how it goes...surely, I will make contact daily with the tech in charge...will let you all know how it goes. Rear quarter panel replacment, squeeky floor, and some other minor work scheduled.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Maybe it was an honest mistake. A human oversight. I've made a few in my time. Probably will make a few more.

"Looks like they just plain forgot to fasten down the wires."

Yep.

Tough bunch in here, glad I'm not the object of the ire.....yet

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
I'm not sure how far you are from Grand Rapids, but I've had very good service from Woodland. They did extensive work on my 1963 Tradewind and I've since bought 2 new Airstreams from them, 2020 and 2021. Neither of the new trailers required service, but I wouldn't hesitate going to them if service was required. I'm taking the 2021 to their new location in Lebanon, IN when they open to have the stabilizer motors installed on our 2021 27' Globetrotter. It's about half the distance for me than going to Grand Rapids or the Mothership.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Maybe it was an honest mistake. A human oversight. I've made a few in my time. Probably will make a few more.

"Looks like they just plain forgot to fasten down the wires."

Yep.

Tough bunch in here, glad I'm not the object of the ire.....yet
Got a chuckle out of your post. Well put. Got a bigger chuckle thinking about the service one might receive after complaining about the poor service while announcing their appointment with the same service organization.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCoast View Post
Got a chuckle out of your post. Well put. Got a bigger chuckle thinking about the service one might receive after complaining about the poor service while announcing their appointment with the same service organization.
You missed it...I have the appt. Monday; no complaints from me...(lets hope not when they are finished either!) When I was there last time, 2 years ago, everything went very smooth and they did a lot of extra stuff for us at no charge...in fact, my floor squeek is being covered under warranty, from back then since I could not stay for that fix at the time...they logged it on my service slip. I will update as the week progresses...but things can happen...we are all human, right?
Old 10-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
You missed it...I have the appt. Monday; no complaints from me...(lets hope not when they are finished either!) When I was there last time, 2 years ago, everything went very smooth and they did a lot of extra stuff for us at no charge...in fact, my floor squeek is being covered under warranty, from back then since I could not stay for that fix at the time...they logged it on my service slip. I will update as the week progresses...but things can happen...we are all human, right?
I hope it all goes well. I’ve been there twice since buying our trailer mainly for small things, but the service we received was outstanding. An added benefit at the time: the older brother of the retired AS employee hosting the tour joined us for breakfast at the restaurant/bar down the street. Veteran and retired AS employee, he had quite a few stories to tell.

Safe travels
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCoast View Post
Well when you have been to your local dealer 2 times (450 miles round trip) for multiple leaks from a brand new custom built 5 days after initial delivery....2 trips to Jackson Center (1700 miles round trip and 5 days onsite)..and have to go back for the THIRD time for the SAME issue.....then you can talk to me about how much of a chuckle it really is.

They screwed up...if nothing is said....and loudly....the same crap service will continue.....but hey, if you think it's ok to waste time, resources, time.....you are more than welcome to have at it.

Stick around and read some of the threads.....you'll quickly see how much people are here are not chuckling especially at these price points.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Seems like a tough crowd. People are human and your airstream is just another trailer like any other SOB trailer. At the end of the day it’s a camper. It’s gonna have problems.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote