Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Let me give you an example

If I was the service advisor.

After taking the list of items that I gave them. I would walk thru the items with the tech.and customer

I would also offer a complete walk thru to detect any other issues. Since leaving found new items.

After the unit was done I would again walk thru each item on the list that each item was compt
lete and repaired. Found items not complete

Would also make sure they new their business was appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure what you expected, but if you did not talk with your Service Advisor- (Kevin or Artie?) when you checked in and throughout the visit, you missed an opportunity to keep tabs on progress? Important you are all on the same page, IMHO..

I went over my visit with Kevin on the phone prior to arrival, week early. Then when I checked in, Kevin was busy but Artie checked me in at 7:45am; They had my list printed up and we went over each detail. When they picked up my unit and took it into the shop, I went back over and Artie took me to introduce the Tech in charge of the work in that location...I personally went over the list with him, explained concerns on the seals, brakes, floor squeak, missing rivets inside, door adjustment, etc...they had 3 guys on it that day and had fixed everything by end of the day. I circled back with Josh and asked about the seals, AC check, floor squeak, etc...he confirmed what they had done. I went in to see Kevin about the body work, and he took me over there to meet the guys working on the dent. They were just getting ready to bring it into the body shop. I discussed the damage and came back each day around 3 to see the progress. I was very happy with my experience both this visit and 2 years ago when I made my first visit to JC. I am a believer in closely following up on my vehicles when taking into service. But hey, that's just because I have read about some bad experiences...
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
My opinion:

You should leave a perfectly functioning door alone. There is nothing really wrong with the way the door opens. Install a dead bolt and manually lock it each time you tow the trailer. Even if you forget and it comes open it will just catch itself open with the little latch and stay there and you can see it in the mirror. There are lots of window to look out of.

It would be a "sucide door" only if people ride in the trailer. Just forget that terminology and move forward. We have logged a whole lot of miles and trips with ours without a real incident.
Major +1

Who knows how well it will seal after. I know exactly what you mean about a door that latches and seals perfectly vs one that does not. Take the $4500 and do something better with it. Just my .02.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrews768 View Post
If I was the service advisor.

After taking the list of items that I gave them. I would walk thru the items with the tech.and customer

I would also offer a complete walk thru to detect any other issues. Since leaving found new items.

After the unit was done I would again walk thru each item on the list that each item was compt
lete and repaired. Found items not complete

Would also make sure they new their business was appreciated.
So lets see...day in and day out, you work at JC and every customer is different with different expectations of the service, right? Some customers "expect" more interaction, discussion, and are "active" in watching the progress of their rig. Others "expect" not to have any interaction, are upset that they have to have come to JC to get things "fixed" that shouldn't have been "broke" with a new AS anyway.... Some customers leave their rigs for weeks/months at a time and don't care until they are contacted and come to pick their rigs up. The guys in service and the shop, do meet early each day and go over the list of work list...they don't always know if the customer is around, unless you make yourself known and show an interest.. Could their be more "customer oriented" type of interaction when you visit? Sure...but nothing wrong with showing interest during the visit, inspecting they did what you asked, and thanking the service folks for doing a good job...

I sent a letter to Josh Copeland, who runs the service shop; Here is his reply: "First off thank you for taking the time to write this email. We do what we can to make every single visit as good as we possibly can. It takes great customers like you to make this happen. Again, thanks for the kind words and I will make sure everyone sees this!"

Point is, things can always be better for some people...thankless world we live in for many folks. Visiting JC from TX was not an easy drive...but, I felt they did a great job. Wonder how many folks appreciate the workers in JC?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago at JC. They told me the punch list was complete but they missed 2 items. I drove 450 mikes one way. Made the mistake of picking it up in terra port after Friday COB. So could not get it finished until Monday and I needed to get home. A word of advice. Always schedule your pick-up time so the next day is a business day in case you need more work done.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So lets see...day in and day out, you work at JC and every customer is different with different expectations of the service, right? Some customers "expect" more interaction, discussion, and are "active" in watching the progress of their rig. Others "expect" not to have any interaction, are upset that they have to have come to JC to get things "fixed" that shouldn't have been "broke" with a new AS anyway.... Some customers leave their rigs for weeks/months at a time and don't care until they are contacted and come to pick their rigs up. The guys in service and the shop, do meet early each day and go over the list of work list...they don't always know if the customer is around, unless you make yourself known and show an interest.. Could their be more "customer oriented" type of interaction when you visit? Sure...but nothing wrong with showing interest during the visit, inspecting they did what you asked, and thanking the service folks for doing a good job...

I sent a letter to Josh Copeland, who runs the service shop; Here is his reply: "First off thank you for taking the time to write this email. We do what we can to make every single visit as good as we possibly can. It takes great customers like you to make this happen. Again, thanks for the kind words and I will make sure everyone sees this!"

Point is, things can always be better for some people...thankless world we live in for many folks. Visiting JC from TX was not an easy drive...but, I felt they did a great job. Wonder how many folks appreciate the workers in JC?
We had two 'interactions' with Artie our SA.
15min of my "expectations" and Artie's "explanations", and 10min of Artie's description of what was done and my approval of his description. 👍

Another two interactions with the technician, one conformation of the expected work to be done and another for a $$$ Thank You.

Bob
🇺🇸

Nothing being perfect and as a former Buckle Nuster, with an understanding of
what can happen, the minor repair done on a home inspection was not a brain burning concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	126D24E0-F55D-4700-B546-07006AEAFAE7_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	406807  
Old 10-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
28' floor squeak

Gypsydad, you mentioned they fixed a floor squeak outside the shower. I understand that's a common issue with the 28' trailers. We have that as well.
Did they tell you what they did to fix it?

BTW we were supposed to be at Alumalina but the AS is in the shop at the local dealer :-(
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Gypsydad, you mentioned they fixed a floor squeak outside the shower. I understand that's a common issue with the 28' trailers. We have that as well.

BTW we were supposed to be at Alumalina but the AS is in the shop at the local dealer :-(
They drop the tanks for the location I had my squeak. I had similar problem on my 25 by the way. I did not drill down as to exactly how they corrected it, but it is supposed to take a day I was told...they had 3 guys doing my list and finished the tank earlier than I was expecting for that task.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #48
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Maybe it was an honest mistake. A human oversight. I've made a few in my time. Probably will make a few more.

"Looks like they just plain forgot to fasten down the wires."

Yep.

Tough bunch in here, glad I'm not the object of the ire.....yet
Definitely a tough crowd here. Sometimes when Iíve done a repair myself, and then have an issue with the repair.. I just canít get too upset with the poor service. Luckily my wife is even more forgiving.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19í Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Thousand Oaks , CA
Every customer does have a different expectation, but JC should should have one expectation. That each customer comes away with wow that was a great experience. This experience should set the 5 rivet standard, nothing less.

My experience with JC was that the tech were great to work with but the service person did not take an active role in the process. Never came out to discuss with me the progress, concerns etc. The tech came out each day and I went back with them but the service person should be spear heading this. I had to go to them and I got a feeling of disconnection from the process.

Additionally why were they not proactive in doing a i.e. 10 point inspection to make sure other items were not going bad. Having customers driving any distance for repairs and not doing this is poor customer service.

I expect more from JC as they set the example for the rest of the dealers. As a customer service manager for a large corporation I have always had the motto, take care of your people and they will take care of your customers. The buck stops at the COO desk and they need to address the internal issues.

I would rate my experience as a 4 out of 5. Loved the work of the techs and how passionate they were about getting it done. Just left with it could have been better.
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Linoleum edge to Aluminum wall at floor: Squeak Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post

A common squeak and easy to fix.

I fixed one next to the bed. When you step, squeak. You can move your weight up and then down...squeak.

There is a plastic/rubber strip covering the aluminum edge to the linoleum floor. This is the source of my squeak. I discovered this at several locations.

Loosen the small wood screws from the floor, so the strip is not touching the wall. Leave the screw in the strip for a guide where the hole was in the event you want to use the same spot, not finding the squeak.

Moved the trim slightly, screwed it in... no squeak.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrews768 View Post
Every customer does have a different expectation, but JC should should have one expectation. That each customer comes away with wow that was a great experience. This experience should set the 5 rivet standard, nothing less.

My experience with JC was that the tech were great to work with but the service person did not take an active role in the process. Never came out to discuss with me the progress, concerns etc. The tech came out each day and I went back with them but the service person should be spear heading this. I had to go to them and I got a feeling of disconnection from the process.

Additionally why were they not proactive in doing a i.e. 10 point inspection to make sure other items were not going bad. Having customers driving any distance for repairs and not doing this is poor customer service.

I expect more from JC as they set the example for the rest of the dealers. As a customer service manager for a large corporation I have always had the motto, take care of your people and they will take care of your customers. The buck stops at the COO desk and they need to address the internal issues.

I would rate my experience as a 4 out of 5. Loved the work of the techs and how passionate they were about getting it done. Just left with it could have been better.
You make good points, but not sure with all the "vintage" AS's and various reasons one visits JC, "all" the owners are expecting that level of service. Its no different then taking in your car for repairs...you need to be involved with the process all the way thru, or you may be dissapointed in the end when they return the vehicle...expectations and follow up need to be your responsibility, IMHO...if you want them to check things, like your brakes or popped rivets (as I did) put it on the list, review it with the service guys...I did, and they found issues with my brakes...I went in for a "crunched" rear panel, but gave them a list of 12 other things I wanted them to check...made sure the service managers and the techs were aware I was there and would be checking along the way...no issues.