Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Moisture meter struck "gold" in 2014 25fb - need help

We picked up our new 2014 25fb on May 6. It was built in April. I just finished getting all our 'tweeks' finished, and decided to use the Sonin. I found about a square foot of area at the door jamb that reads almost 100% moisture. Unfortunately I can't get to the floor under the kitchen counter so it could be a little larger area?? The AS hasn't gotten wet since May 5.

I need to pull the vinyl flooring back to dry it out. I have two questions.

1) Does anybody know how to remove the aluminum threshold trim inside the door? Is it glued down or are there mechanical fasteners?

2) does anyone know how to get behind the sink cabinet to inspect the floor?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
It must have a warranty. Call Airstream.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Sorry, I have to ask. Why are you doing this on a new trailer? I'd be having a nice long heart-to-heart with my dealer and/or JC. No way a new trailer should leak like that. I'd insist on a full pressurized leak test. If they missed these spots, they probably missed more.

My guess is the vinyl floor is glued down and won't be easy to get up and back down without telltale bumps and dents showing through.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I will definitely inform AS (and document the issue), but I don't see myself taking it to a dealer which would likely take weeks. I'm sure I can do a better job than a dealer.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Wow. Call dealer AND airstream direct - do not pass go, no not collect $200, do not tear up the floor.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
check the traps in your trailer. my connections were loose and dripping soon after my trailer went into service.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
It could be a plumbing leak at the sink. Perhaps the door was left open at the dealer during a rain. I'm not panicking yet, and I'm not in a position to take it to JC since I work. I was able to pull back a little bit of floor right next to the wall. The moisture meter says 85% but it looks dry. I think there is some moisture but it's not standing water by any means. I'm crafting an email now to,AS and Foley RV to document the issue. I'll call AS tomorrow for direction on how to proceed.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I have spoken with AS and the dealer, so there is a record of this potential issue. I was able to remove the threshold. Without cutting the vinyl flooring I can only see and feel 8-10" back under the floor. This is the area where the Sonin reads almost 100% moisture. I have tested the meter on various materials and it seems to be working. When I look and feel under the flooring I detect no moisture! I did see what look like water trails on the wall, but they could also be from cleaning.

Perhaps there was a tiny bit of water and the meter is very sensitive? Perhaps the moisture is from assembly/fabrication?

Biggest question/dilemma now is whether I should cut the vinyl flooring at the base of the kitchen cabinet for a better look. I would be nice to see everything better, but I hate to add some type of shoe molding to cover the seaClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400624206.380057.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	212376Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400624233.524269.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	212377m I would create.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I would not mess with it. This is a warranty issue and you are interfering with that process. It must be returned to a dealer or the factory for inspection and repair.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I would not mess with it. This is a warranty issue and you are interfering with that process. It must be returned to a dealer or the factory for inspection and repair.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Eeeek

I have my sonin bit have not yet used it

How did you go about sticking into and checki
G the subfloor in the first place because I wanna do the same this week ?

Hope you get it worked out

If I had a big issue like a leak - it would require me to either go 5 hours to foley or to JC (8 hour drive) and use leave I really do t have - I sympathize with your dilemma

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Will AS ever improve if we are so forgiving of their screw-ups that we just accept them as normal features of a top of the line "Hand built" trailer and fix them ourselves on a brand new trailer?

I surely would not! I'd be some ticked off if I laid out to dollars and got a leaky trailer - even if they did fix it under warrantee!

I remember way back when my Dad bought has first Japanese car.

He was absolutely amazed that he did not have to take it right back to the dealer next day with a huge list of problems, including water leaks, that he had found on his new car!

Previously he always had just accepted defects to be the norm when buying a new (North American) car.

That doesn't happen much now with North American cars, I think they are pretty darn good!

Maybe Airstream needs some Japanese competition rather than just a brand name and (eroding) perception of quality in order to pull up their socks!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
The sensor on the Sonin is fairly sharp. I just stick it through the vinyl flooring around the perimeter. I try to re-check using the same holes, but they are hard to find since the holes are small and seal up to some degree. At least that was my process on the 23fb.

I'm not convinced this issue warrants a trip to a dealer waiting for them to do what I did and see what looks like dry subfloor. It would be a different story if I saw/felt a lot of moisture under the flooring. Perhaps if my wife and I didn't both work and didn't have 3 small kids I could arrange that easier. I plan on a closer inspection of the exterior myself along with a good bath. I would like to see actual water (or obvious signs of moisture) before I mess with a trip to the dealer. I'm also going to test my Sonin a little more as well. I'm now curious how much moisture it takes to read 100%.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Speaking without benefit of experience (Sonin on order, but haven't used one), but if it was me, before I got too deep into this I'd confirm the reading. Is it feasible to put a piece of paper towel under the flooring and then hose down the trailer to see if there's an actual leak? To draw a parallel, I've had good experience with stud finders, but I wouldn't rip out a section of wall just on the basis of one indication.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Well that it is really where this thread started. I just needed to pull the threshold to see if there was a problem, but I didn't know how. I didn't bother looking from the outside of the AS because there are 3 very obvious rivets that hold the threshold on the outside of the door frame. That is the extent of the work to date.....pulling the threshold and 3 staples. Now I get the AS wet and see what happens.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Test the meter on various woods around the house to get a feel of the scale....but 100%? something's up if it tests good on known dry woods. Dry being a relative term. During humid times, pine in my garage will read as high as 12%. During winter dry weather the same piece will read about 5%. But that's my particular meter.

Also, I think those tracks are not from cleaning...to me there's the point where the water is coming to the interior. I'd look north of there for your leak. What's above that area on the roof?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Just the zip dee awning and the skylight in the middle of the roof.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Try pulling the interior trim from the skylight and see if there's evidence of water marks or damp wood. Yes there is wood up there for the shade mounting. The awning rail can leak to the interior. Make sure all heads are sealed and the sealer running the whole length of the rail is in tact.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Thanks - I'm off to check my floors this week - if I can find the meter that is argh!!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would landrum try and set it all up with paper towel in area that appears to be wet by the meter...and during next heavy rain, if there is a leak, it will wick up the paper towel and that will be a smoking gun I would think?

I would also probe with the sonin and mark off “borders” of the moisture with something that you can wash off...washable marker of some sort? then make sure it does not expand further as well and keep a track record of growth..

Perhaps once moisture gets in such a tight sealed place it will remain pretty moist for quite some time....thus giving the 100% reading - I noticed with my current leak, that if you track on further and further the reading slopes off from 100% and drops down more and more till reads zero....

Good luck.