Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Moisture detected in floor - what now ?

Well - finally got around to getting a moisture detector that functions - and only one spot in trailer picked up moisture - so here I go

Damp area appears to be directly under window In Front bedroom on the drivers side.

I'll need to start looking at all possibilities....no other spots found around entire trailer so I hope to correct this - may end up having to drag it to JC this fall if I can't find and correct -

First I will check awning bracket - heard stories about them not caulking that or using wrong screw and puncturing skin or something

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402980211.306813.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	214361

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Looks like moisture may be coming from the front storage compartment - I feel wetness still in here with my hands - - so perhaps the seal for that compartment is not stopping water entry?

Water hose will diagnose tomorrow I suspect - or I hope it's simple

Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Do you have a dog ?

<jk>

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
bunkhouse leaker

PharmGeek,

I have a first generation bunkhouse and had so much trouble with the front storage door I ended up having it removed. This is the door behind the propane tanks. The ones they had back in 05 and 06 had square corners which were hard to seal and the box itself (in the body)ripped from the tongue twisting.

On the leak we tried thicker gasket, building up the gasket, tightening the latches to pull tighter. Nothing worked but removal. When i am towing in a driving rain i am glad i did!

I think you have the round corner door so ripping is not an issue. Try adjusting the latches. For leak detection the pressurization of the trailer and using soapy water is best.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The rear trunk door on my Classic leaks.
It has square corners.
I am having the issue addressed at Jackson Center in September.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good for you for checking for leaks and doing something before a major problem occurs. This should be part of everyone's periodical maintenance inspection. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Honestly after paying that much for a new Airstream I would put it on Airstream to fix. I truly find leaks in a new Airstream unexceptable for what the cost and Airstreams PR about leak testing prior to leaving the factory. But sadly leaks seem a part of any new trailer no mater who made it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
AWCHIEF...I totally agree...but honestly, I kinda knew this was "fairly likely" given my research prior....but I knew (or perhaps hoped at least) that IF I had an issue, I knew how to detect it...and how to respond and correct the problem....I am fairly sure at this point that it is the front hatch...soon will confirm definitive this afternoon evening...then I will certainly put it back on AS to fix...

Problem with warranty repairs is that there is always the terrible calculus you are forced to play out....ok, I am under warranty, but what will it cost me to pull over to the dealer (5 hour drive)...how can I logistically do it...how long will they take (logistics and costs of drop off, then later pick up....or do I just go 8 hours to JC and spend what 2 or 3 or 4 days there? (I have no idea how long I would be there).

So, then you are like "well, IF I can fix this problem either "myself" or getting AS to send me the parts or supplies to aid my fix, then Ill settle for that...

Ideally I would go right to the source and it would be their problem....as it should be...

As I think about this leak....I am realizing that possibly (and I am doubtful) - it *could* be that there is something stuck to the gasket and thus allowing water through....or it got damaged somehow? Very doubtful of this as I used that compartment for very little...

Assuming it is currently still intact and this is just a flaw, then it very likely was this way right out from the factory....which would indicate that their leak test was a failure.....and I know from reading extensively on this forum that people have gotten brand new units that leak right from the get go that very likely were either not leak tested or just the test was not done thorough....

Its possible that the leak tests are done, then in transit some things alter, shake lose, etc....but if that is the case, then they still have a problem to address....they should not leak one would hope within the first 7 months since being built...

I will not yet rule out a post production etiology, but I will not really be surprised if it came off the line with this leak....

I knew coming in of these problems....thus the leak testing...if I had not leak tested....I would not have noticed this leak likely...I think it was coming in through the storage compartment during very heavy rains at my house and most moisture sat in the storage area, but borders with the flooring into the sub-floor so you would never possibly step on a puddle of water or notice necessarily...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have alerted my dealer to the problem via email....if I cannot resolve it I will be figuring a game plan to bring it in...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Surely you have some other minor warranty adjustments? I had mine to JC twice all the way from Texas for warranty stuff and they did first class work. Really good attention to detail. Just make a little trip out of it, enjoy.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yep..I do have a list of small things...the door I think needs adjusted (must slam it), my dog JUST 2 days ago thrashed a part of a miniblind, my son broke the reading light that is in the bunkhouse, the drawer guides on the big drawers are mostly off their guides after falling out during travel (my new latches really do hold, although even at lowest tension setting they are a bit more annoying to open and close than the plastic ones), the leak now, but of all that, none of it entices me to go for an 8 hour trip as I can I believe fix all these things...

My problem is logistics and leave...how long will I need to be at JC? It cannot be a weekend right? so I would need to take leave from work...that will not happen at least till december...but it could happen next year no problem, but every bit of leave I eat into really sucks....especially if I needed to be there for more than 2 days...if I needed to take 3 days of leave to fix a few minor things I can do myself it would suck...I may need to schedule an out-pt surgery and take sick leave....but even my sick leave gets used up too darn quick with small kids...every fever means no daycare and dad staying home (mom works at a retail pharmacy, even harder for her to take off than me, I have a bit more flexibility with my clinic and coverage from my colleagues).

But I am very likely going to go to JC in 2015 and have all issues addressed...but I would rather not wait on this leak

I could easily enjoy the trip...but these days the leave and logistics are a tad annoying

Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Honestly after paying that much for a new Airstream I would put it on Airstream to fix. I truly find leaks in a new Airstream unexceptable for what the cost and Airstreams PR about leak testing prior to leaving the factory. But sadly leaks seem a part of any new trailer no mater who made it.
My sentiments, exactly. Is it really too much to expect a leak test prior to shipping to the dealer?

Our '08 S/O had a leaky slide gasket (discovered 2 weeks after pickup) that I had to get back to J/C for repairs on my time and money.

BTW, keep a keen eye on their work if you stay, or give yourself an extra day (or more) for them to redo improperly done work. The big ticket stuff (re-skin, slide gaskets & seals) were done perfectly, but the smaller warranty items (countertop, corbin latches, roof caulking, dump levers- to name a few...) were very shoddily handled.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You could move to California where I live. Stored covered, and been so dry here I think the trailer has only been in one rainstorm since I've owned it. For all I know it leaks like a sieve.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Keep your list.
Keep in constant contact with Dave Schuman, Chris Burch, and Randy McNeeley at Airstream.
Document everything with photos and emails.
Make an appointment at the service center just before your 2 year warranty expires.
Make a vacation of it. Tour all the nearby museums and have fun while getting your trailer fixed.
Then, after the warranty expires, go back every couple of years for maintenance.
I find something new every time we go campin' and we done been campin' 14 times in '14.
There are a lot of things mounted crooked in my trailer- out of level or out of square-
There is a crack in the inner a/c shroud/cover.
The cook top is sinking or settling in the right rear corner.
The list goes on and on.
Chris Birch and Randy McNeeley might be tired of me, but I can't help it. This is the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life. "It's a hand built trailer" isn't any excuse for all the sloppy workmanship. If anything that is the very reason why it should be better.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Email for these folks?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
it's been a while since I've been there... is Rick March <rmarch@airstream.com> no longer there?

cburch@airstream.com
Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Contacts

Best guy is chris burch. (Service Manager). cburch@airstream.com
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm a similar situation Geek and have the same calculus problem. It's not a simple "take it back to AS" with jobs and kids and vacation time and etc etc etc. My moisture meter seems to work and it detected moisture near the door on our 2014 (I posted about this a few weeks ago). I was able to pull the flooring up enough to look and feel the area. Seems dry to me?? Foley and AS are aware of the potential issue, but I'm not about to go through the logistics of a warranty trip for a potential leak. I'll keep watching the area and start a list as m.honey suggests. I will definitely plan a trip to JC for a check-up (at a minimum) before the warranty is up.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I am self employed so it was maybe a little easier. Fuel for me was tge bummer. 2k miles round trip with a big block suburban at the time! Seriously though, worth the trip. If you document the issues prior to your warranty expiring they will honor your issues post two years. Also definately make an appointment if you are looking to go to JC..
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Great advice - thanks -

Landrum - I need to read your thread - sorry to hear about it - better to find out leaks now and fix - frustrating

Found this with a bit of drenching with water - will be tinkering more later tonight - seems definately from the storage door - not sure exactly where Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403050228.885387.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	214420