Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I certainly isnít a big problem, if I recall, there was a 16 footer where the screws popped out and the straps dropped a bit. I think it was fixed by installing some larger diameter screws. I read this and it has stuck in my mind. This might be an isolated case. It seems that your experience is the opposite which is good. I do think that having water in the tank would make the trailer more stable by putting that weight down low.

I suppose the risk is lower with only a 20 gallon tank - about 167 lbs of water.

The trailer tows well enough empty, but as Iíve noted before it has no shocks and rides much better when loaded, and weíre often going places without a ready supply of water. And I like filling the tank with softened water at home.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'm curious then why do they deliver trailers, that when loaded properly, and UNDER the GVWR, can exceed 1200lb on the TW scale?
It is what it is and even with WD set the TW, (load) remains the same.

17 Yrs SFSG.👍
Bob
🇺🇸
Very good question. I'd guess they "forecast" what they deem appropriate loading by the consumer. I am not saying they are good at it, based on some floorplans and available storage locations.

Also, the limit could be the coupler, not the frame. Many, if not all couplers have load specs stamped on them. Difficult to see sometimes, but usually there.

of course, mine is hidden under the jack flange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupler rating.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	409830

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also the procedure verbiage in the above post, from the AS owner manual, is not an accurate tongue weight.

Measuring at the jack gives one a false high scale reading, because it is aft of the coupler pocket.

For my trailer, at last weighing the reading at the post is 1075#. The weight at the coupler pocket is 1032#.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Also the procedure verbiage in the above post, from the AS owner manual, is not an accurate tongue weight.

Measuring at the jack gives one a false high scale reading, because it is aft of the coupler pocket.

For my trailer, at last weighing the reading at the post is 1075#. The weight at the coupler pocket is 1032#.
Yes...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F23EFC3D-6CE5-4BBC-ACA4-E241E0C4A1F7_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	409831   Click image for larger version

Name:	32CBA2AA-F535-4A3F-84C2-67D1D9657404.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	409832  

Old 12-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yes...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Well, you are measuring the hitch weight (or truck receiver weight) in that pic. Valuable info from the truck loading perspective info.

I was talking about a naked coupler (no hitch components other than jacks brackets, etc. installed.) and the difference between the jack and the coupler pocket with a sherline scale. This is the tongue weight (coupler weight) from the AS perspective.

In your case it would be the weight at the pocket with the HAHA head, stinger, struts and spring bars removed. Add back in approx 50% of the weight of the spring bars and struts after measuring the pocket tongue weight, as they are suspended by the A-frame on one end and the HAHA head on the other. That will give you pretty darned accurate AS tongue weight.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sorry my above post numbers were for a fully dressed PP hitch, including my stinger and flaps, measured at post and calculated at ball.

The a-frame numbers (with only the jacks, yoke, bracket, spring bars, factored in) per sherline at coupler and post are 900# at post and 860# at coupler.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #47
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well, you are measuring the hitch weight (or truck receiver weight) in that pic. Valuable info from the truck loading perspective info.

I was talking about a naked coupler (no hitch components other than jacks brackets, etc. installed.) and the difference between the jack and the coupler pocket with a sherline scale. This is the tongue weight (coupler weight) from the AS perspective.

In your case it would be the weight at the pocket with the HAHA head, stinger, struts and spring bars removed. Add back in approx 50% of the weight of the spring bars and struts after measuring the pocket tongue weight, as they are suspended by the A-frame on one end and the HAHA head on the other. That will give you pretty darned accurate AS tongue weight.
You are correct, again...but TW has never been a big concern for me, load on the receiver....YEP. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #48
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The best I can tell, when AS mentions the tongue weight they're talking about the tongue weight and not with the additional weight of the WD hitch.

The manual and towing documentation for my Suburban specifies that the tongue weight limit and the towing limit are calculated with the appropriate towing gear already attached to the truck.

I measure tongue weight using a Sherline scale in the hitch ball pocket.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The best I can tell, when AS mentions the tongue weight they're talking about the tongue weight and not with the additional weight of the WD hitch.

The manual and towing documentation for my Suburban specifies that the tongue weight limit and the towing limit are calculated with the appropriate towing gear already attached to the truck.

I measure tongue weight using a Sherline scale in the hitch ball pocket.
Correct. AS is interested in tongue weight at the coupler. TV manufacturers are interested in "tongue weight" (more accurately, hitch weight or receiver weight) at the receiver opening. Two different numbers.

However, you do need to consider hitch components which are mounted to or hanging from the AS as tongue weight. No weight gets a free pass. If it is tongue load, it is tongue weight.