Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

1970 23' Safari
Pacifica , California
Magic Chef gas leak or normal?

Hello out there. Been reading along for years but got my first forum post here.

I have a 1970 airstream and it has the original magic chef 4 burner stove/oven. After turning on the gas I have been smelling a very slight gas smell. It kinda smells like its coming from inside the oven but I fell like it also could be from the burner area. I don't have a leak detector handy but my question is...

Does a original magic chef with a standing pilot have to be lit at all times or does the thermo coupler respond to a flame and then supply the gas? If it is the former then it makes sense that I smell it because there would be a small amount of gas releasing to supply the pilot. If it doesn't need to be lit then I gotta figure out how to isolate it.

Thanks!
Safari70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The pilot light is always on and you will smell gas if there is no flame. There is a screw to adjust the flame and it can be shut off. The top of the range pops open and is hinged in the rear. I can not remember where the adjusting screw is, but is should be obvious when the top is open.

We never used the pilot on our 75 and kept the valve shut. It was easier that way...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #3

1970 23' Safari
Pacifica , California
Thanks for the info. Thatís what I was hoping
Old 05-17-2021, 05:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There are two pilot lights, one for the stovetop and one for the oven. Both need to be lit manually every time the gas is turned on.
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

1970 23' Safari
Pacifica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
There are two pilot lights, one for the stovetop and one for the oven. Both need to be lit manually every time the gas is turned on.
Well shoot. I guess I need to figure out where that second pilot light is. Do you happen to know where the flame goes on the burners?

Thanks for that tidbit