Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Full-time traveler , Ever somewhere new
Looking for a few parts for a 1976 Sovereign, not sure of terminology

Hi everyone.

Doing a little refurbishing on a '76 31' Sovereign and trying to find some parts online but am not entirely sure I'm using the right terminology. Or maybe they just don't exist. :P

Hot Water Tank Cover?
I'm referring to the actual aluminum plate that would cover the external access to the hot water tank controls. Mine is non-existent, and searching for "hot water tank cover" doesn't produce any relevant results here or on Google.

Sewer "Pipe"
I'm not referring to a sewer hose like you'd easily buy at an RV store here, but the actual pipe that extends from the piping inside of the bumper out through the hole where the sewer hose would connect. A couple of photos here to help explain:

Above you can see the hole where the old sewer pipe itself would have come out, then there would have been a Thetford bayonet attachment. I currently have neither.

Inside here, thanks to the cracked plastic, you can see the hose clamp where the piece I'm searching for would go in, get tightened, and then I have a bayonet / cap that can screw into it. The cap actually screws in properly right there, where the clamp is, but just the cap alone isn't enough to extend the entire distance out through the hole to be accessible by a sewer pipe.

Anyone know the "official" names for these and/or a good resource to buy random stuff like this?

I've checked Vintage Trailer Supply and they don't have the parts listed. Also checked Inland's website, Airstreamsupply.com and airstream classifieds.
wandrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Water heater covers are available at any decent RV parts house. They are usually sold separate from the heaters anyway, so they are available generally. The one for your old water heater may be slightly different from the new ones, but usually minor modifications will make the new ones fit.

Black ABS pipe like you want for the sewer extension is available an most home centers, lumber yards, Home Depot, Lowe's etc along with many of the fittings you need. The final termination was originally a Thetford stile but now everyone has gone to a Valtera (spelling) type and I would recommend you change it out now as the old Thetford fittings are very expensive and harder to come by. Any RV supply place will have what you need other than the pipe.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
That little section of the rear frame isn't looking too pretty from what I can see. Is that a plate to fix a broken weld?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
That little section of the rear frame isn't looking too pretty from what I can see. Is that a plate to fix a broken weld?
I agree that the frame is really ugly back there. The plate looks like it might be a repair to a cracked frame caused by the drag wheel, which is a no-no in it's own right.

There was a piece of pipe with the sewer cap and connection that was located outside the frame. I agree go with Valterra rather than Thetford.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
My 76

My 1976 had a similar problem except. Mine was used as a mobile home for most of it's life so at the rubber boot it was cut off and a piece of PVC put there to connect to a septic tank. I chose the theford for this reason. I went to hardware (lowes) and got a new 3i inch repair boot and joint of 3inch PVC to extend past the frame. My black water valve leaked slightly so when I removed the cover cap I lost about a pint of liquid. I went to a local RV parts.store and bought a theford gate valve. With very little sanding a theford will glue directly on. You then can buy a theford end and replace the end of standard sewer pipe. Sounds complicated but for me the connection in the bumper no leaks direct glue etc worked for me. About two months ago I replaced the hot water heater and put a good WH door in the dump. Would have been glad to sent it to you sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	216287  

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote