Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
looking at a '68 Safari that is gutted any help

hey guys, im looking to purchase my first airstream. ive been looking for a while now and its hard to find one at a decent price in good condition where im at. i have found a 68 safari that is completly gutted, and im fine with that cause i dont want a bathroom ( we stay at campsites) and i wanted a custom interior anyway. here is my problem the lady has pulled all teh interior panels off and disgaurded them. the plastic peice is still above where teh tabel would of been but thats it. how hard is it to make new panels and rivet them on there. i also work at a body shop for autos so i knwo my way around sheetmetal.

also do you think its a good deal, its a 68 safari with origional awning. body is in great shape as is the frame and floor. windows are all good and the asking price is 1200
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Steal it for $1200. You don't have a huge investment if you screw it up and have to pull out anything and start over. Think about the weight factor in everything you do. Also when you sell it will you get a better price if it has a bathroom, at least a crapper. When you're done you'll have a one of a kind piece of art you'll be proud of.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
I agree, snap it up, if you are ready for a project. I would still try to talk the price down a bit, at least a hundred or two. But still buy it if you can't.

If I understand you correctly, the interior skins are completely gone - when you look at the walls you see the back of the outer skin and the struts that make up the structure - right? That makes this a trailer that most folks are likely to steer away from and it'd be harder to find a buyer for in the current condition. Since you work at a body shop and seem comfortable with metal work and probably can borrow all the tools you'll need, this is a perfect trailer for you and you are the perfect buyer for it.

It sounds like there is one end-cap interior there - the part you said is above where the table would go? That's the inside of the end, up at the ceiling. That's the hardest part to fabricate because it involves compound curves. Hopefully you have one and that'd make it easier to craft the other.

I bought a '65 Safari for $3600 that was in good interior shape but filty. I would have been thrilled to pay $1200 for a stripped one since I also want a customized interior. Taking out the contents has been a good bit of work.

You'll want to read the threads here about what to look for on inspection. If you can post some pictures here we'll gladly give you feedback. It's easier for you because it's stripped so there's less to inspect and what is left is easier to get at. Probably the biggest thing is the floor - take and ice pick and poke that floor all the way to the very edge, where it meets metal. If you find no soft spots that's amazing. Maybe the floor was replaced?

Is there any wiring in place? plumbing or gas lines? Are the openings for the vent pipes closed up or has water been getting in? What about underneath? Is the belly skin intact? Can you inspect the frame? Is the black tank still there? Are the access doors in place? Windows? Lights? What is the condition of the windows?

Bottom line is if the floor is solid and the exterior is in great shape then its worth the $1200. Its rare to find one stripped that way, even rarer to find one with a solid floor, especially in the moist state of Florida. The next one will bill filled with stuff that will jack the price up and you'll ultimately want to get rid of for your custom layout.

Dave the Rave!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Sounds like a bargain.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
yes that is right when you are inside you see the inside of the outside skin and it also does have the bathroom actually still in there, maybe i can sell it for some cash idk cause honestly we dont want a crapper at all. im going back this morning with some cash and my truck and see if i can get it even cheaper. the one thing that this camper dosent have that i want is the year. im building a custom 56 chevy nomad that my wife and i are going to be driving across america in for a month, and i really wanted a 50s trailer to tow behind it but i mean im sure if i find a nother one soon i can probobly sell this one to get my money back. also the trailer has no title is that a big deal to get? i know with old cars it takes about 300 bucks and you can get one.
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote