Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250PUP View Post
Thanks Andy, i was hoping you would look. I offered the guy 1500 for it. i think at that price I get a great deal. If I replace the tires and bearings, which I think is the major issue. I can do the rest pretty easy. What do you think?
Before you attempt any repairs, you should find out everything the trailer needs, to get it back up to snuff.

In that way, you can better prepare your time, and budget, as necessary.

If it's going to cost several thousands to fix things up, then as long as you are aware of that, before you spend any money, then the end result will not be disappointing.

The first major repair, is to make sure the coach is "water tight". Check all the exterior gaskets, including the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, which only last 2 to 3 tears. If they are original, then they all should be replaced, to keep the rain out.

Once the trailer is water tight, that doesn't take much time or money, then as your time and budget allows, you can attack the list that you prepared.

You asked about the axle. Read the article in the Airstream Central part of this Forums. It will teach you how to easily check out the axle condition, without taking anything apart.
You will need a small bottle jack to do one of the tests, however.

Generally speaking, leave the cosmetics until last,. Strive to correct all the safety issues first, especially the LPG system for proper pressure and no leaks. Check both the 12 volt DC and the 120 volt AC systems.

Check the AC, the furnace the water heater, etc. Replacing the reefer is easy but determine the dimensions first so that you have a proper fit.

And the bottom line is, welcome to Airstreaming, and hopefully with some help, some of us can contribute to your future "happy Airstreaming".

Andy 8.9
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #22

1970 25' Tradewind
Hampton , New Hampshire
I am also looking for an Airstream and sweating the inspection process. I recently looked over a 1970 Trade Wind, asking $3500.

The thing had a million little problems like: broken step, frige gas hookup cut and left open, water line left unsoddered, vent damaged and capped with a trash lid, keys missing, bumper hatch that gains access to umbilicles missing hinges, gaucho cushion missing, cubby covers missing, attenna installed on curb-side by front window, big piece of rubber pasted to bathroom floor (not a good sign), daughter of seller put some kind of flame art outlines on the exterior, window missing clip, side windows replaced with some kind of plastic, tougue jack bent, tires lightly dry rotted, pie-sized dent in low front corner curb-side. Not to mention that no appliances or lights were tested.

Other than that the Airstream seem sealed from the elements. I didn't do the sag test or check the axles. Has $800 awning. The seller says the tow functions work so I don't feel nervous moving it to storage a few miles away.

I think I will offer $3000. What do you think? I'm excited and nervous. Hopefully it will be a "labor of love" or shall I find a better AS. Thanks for your input.
timdfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdfrost View Post
I am also looking for an Airstream and sweating the inspection process. I recently looked over a 1970 Trade Wind, asking $3500.

The thing had a million little problems like: broken step, frige gas hookup cut and left open, water line left unsoddered, vent damaged and capped with a trash lid, keys missing, bumper hatch that gains access to umbilicles missing hinges, gaucho cushion missing, cubby covers missing, attenna installed on curb-side by front window, big piece of rubber pasted to bathroom floor (not a good sign), daughter of seller put some kind of flame art outlines on the exterior, window missing clip, side windows replaced with some kind of plastic, tougue jack bent, tires lightly dry rotted, pie-sized dent in low front corner curb-side. Not to mention that no appliances or lights were tested.

Other than that the Airstream seem sealed from the elements. I didn't do the sag test or check the axles. Has $800 awning. The seller says the tow functions work so I don't feel nervous moving it to storage a few miles away.

I think I will offer $3000. What do you think? I'm excited and nervous. Hopefully it will be a "labor of love" or shall I find a better AS. Thanks for your input.
From your description, that trailer has been neglected and abused.

I would bet that all the exterior gaskets need replacing because they don't last 40 years. Thesewer vent pipe gaskets only last 2 to 3 years.

I would also check the axles out. If they are bad, that's a huge expense to start. More than likely the brakes are bad as well.

The sheet metal panel, with no labor, is at least $300.00 or more.

The windows are, ball park, $300.00 each or more.

To refinish the exterior, will cost at least $3000.00, if you have it one.

Granted, getting a salvageable coach to tinker with, can be alot of fun, but it can get to be real expensive, quickly.

I think a $1000.00 offer, would already be generous.

But, it's your call.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
70 Tradewind

Fixerupper Airstreams can go in the $3,000 mark. A friend bought a 69 Overlander for $3400 and did a lot of work restoring. I think most anybody that has taken on that project winds up with an investment of $10,000-$15,000.
Andy is right about the essentials and axles, windows, gaskets and vents all add up. Decide if the work needed is something you want to do for man therapy. I've had a blast working on my 72 Tradewind and at first was nervous about it but as I've gone along I've taken on a lot of upgrades I once would pay for instead of doing myself. Bottom line is to negotiate the lowest purchase price on it and then go to work. Somebody will always pay more and it will get away from you. Also I have a Gaucho Cushion from my Tradewind if you need it.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #25

1970 25' Tradewind
Hampton , New Hampshire
The Rivet Master above got me a bit psyched out about the 1970 Trade Wind. (I pretty sure the guy won't go for $1000.) But I found this 1962 Trade Wind on craigslist: http://youngstown.craigslist.org/rvs/1551599087.html (please don't make this an ebay auction!)
I made him an offer of $5,600 over email. I will have to finance the purchase now, but I think this Airstream looks like a winner and moreover, livable in.
timdfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
70 Tradewind vs 60s

Looks like a nice trailer on Craig's list. There are quite a few differences between the 60's and 70's Tradewinds (24' vs 25'). The nice thing is if the wood interiors and all of the overhead bins work then you've got a styling trailer.
I replaced and covered up the plastic laminate on mine with wood veneers giving me the look of the 60's interior.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote