Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Leaky toilet seal

We just took our FC 23FB out for a trip. I noticed that when I pressed the pedal down to add water to the toilet bowl, the water would drain out of the bowl (without me flushing it). Seems like the seal might be broken? How do I fix this?

Thanks.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Shut the water to the toilet off, and if no valve, turn of the pump or shut city water off. Determine the brand and model of toilet, and see the instructions in your manual, or check out the YouTube video's on how to remove and replace the toilet. I would check first to make sure the bolts holding the toilet down are tight. Again the video or your manual will show you the locations of these bolts. Not a big job, but a set of knee pads really helps!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34' 1987 Limited 34'
1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Shut the water to the toilet off, and if no valve, turn of the pump or shut city water off. Determine the brand and model of toilet, and see the instructions in your manual, or check out the YouTube video's on how to remove and replace the toilet. I would check first to make sure the bolts holding the toilet down are tight. Again the video or your manual will show you the locations of these bolts. Not a big job, but a set of knee pads really helps!!
So it sounds like you're suggesting that the entire toilet needs to be replaced?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a black rubber gasket on most toilet "flappers". Replacing the gasket is a DIY process. Parts should be < $20 including the silicone grease. Many find that simply giving the gasket area a good scrub fixes the problem without any replacement or even pulling the old gasket.

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to pull the old gasket and snap on the new one .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is a black rubber gasket on most toilet "flappers". Replacing the gasket is a DIY process. Parts should be < $20 including the silicone grease. Many find that simply giving the gasket area a good scrub fixes the problem without any replacement or even pulling the old gasket.

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to pull the old gasket and snap on the new one .....

Bob
Great! I found a bunch of videos on replacing the RV toilet flush seal. Are those what you're referring to, or do I need to find videos specific to Airstream?

I assume I need to figure out the model of my toilet and order the appropriate seal? Looks like I have a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters View Post
Great! I found a bunch of videos on replacing the RV toilet flush seal. Are those what you're referring to, or do I need to find videos specific to Airstream?

I assume I need to figure out the model of my toilet and order the appropriate seal? Looks like I have a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II.
Hi

Yup those are the right videos. The gasket is specific to the toilet you have. You will have to get the right one. Having one in stock isn't a bad idea.

Bob
Old 09-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Are we sure that it needs a new gasket?
I just keep ours clean(turn off water hold open insert brush halfway and spin, repeat if necessary), apply the seal lubricant every once in a while.

I did have to replace remove and replace the toilet to install a new valve mechanism, but that was nine years ago, never had to replace a seal though.

I do not put antifreeze in the toilet over the winter. I used to use olive oil but now use the product mentioned above, one or 2 tablespoons and let it sit.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
No, you don't replace the toilet, only the gasket. The likely seal leaking is the seal that goes between the toilet and the black tank flange. Available at any RV store. I use petrolium jelly on the seal when replacing. This is a spongy black rubber, and is often tapered on one side. Check your bolts for tighness first!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34' 1987 Limited 34'
1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
No, you don't replace the toilet, only the gasket. The likely seal leaking is the seal that goes between the toilet and the black tank flange. Available at any RV store. I use petrolium jelly on the seal when replacing. This is a spongy black rubber, and is often tapered on one side. Check your bolts for tighness first!!
I wouldn't advise using using anything petroleum based to lubricate the seal.

I found over time that releasing the pedal quickly is an operative word and helps shut the door.🤢

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Switters, you didn't mention what kind of toilet you have or how old it is. I just went through something similar with my relatively new Dometic toilet. After a deep clean of the trailer I noticed the same thing, the seal wasn't keeping the water in the bowl. Stepping on the pedal opened the toilet, ran the water but when I closed it, something was slightly amiss. While using a toilet brush I accidentally disengaged the flap. Mine pivots on two anchors and I had knocked one of the arms off of one of the anchors. It was easy to fix. Look closely and see if this might be the issue.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
ZOZ
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
No So Leaky Squeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters View Post
We just took our FC 23FB out for a trip. I noticed that when I pressed the pedal down to add water to the toilet bowl, the water would drain out of the bowl (without me flushing it). Seems like the seal might be broken? How do I fix this? Thanks.
You may not need to do anyhing with your toilet. They used the Thetford Style II toilets in the late model AS FC23FB trailers. We noticed that we had a "sometimes" leak where the bowl held no water but then it did.

We're on the road and I'm ready to pull the toilet when I get home even watched the video where I guy replaces the flush gasket without removing the toilet. The wife says "slow down, big guy."

I did several flush tests that determined it was a mechanical operator error issue. We tried banging the toilet flush then gentle flush and there was no rhyme or reason water would leak pass the waste ball. But not always. Hell, we put glycerine anti-freeze in the toilet in winterization and it's still there come spring.

Key: Flush the toilet then carefully listen if water is tricking past the waste ball. If you hear it, flush again. Keep flushing until no water sound is heard. Chances are it won't be leaking the second flush.

If you get continuous drain issues replace seals with these parts:

Thetford #34120 waste ball seal kit for style II and Style plus toilets $14.09
(seal is #42141 and the closet bolt package seal #42115).

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer had an older Thetford toilet with a blade style flush system. It would not hold water at the beginning of the season. I could not find a seal kit locally nor a toilet. I was leaving on a trip in a few days. I ordered both a kit and a new toilet. The toilet came first. My older style toilet required it being pulled to put in the seal kit. Since I had to pull the toilet anyway, I installed the new toilet. It is a China bowl model. It is much nicer than the old plastic one that came in the trailer. The extra money spent was worth it.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZ View Post

You may not need to do anyhing with your toilet. They used the Thetford Style II toilets in the late model AS FC23FB trailers. We noticed that we had a "sometimes" leak where the bowl held no water but then it did.

We're on the road and I'm ready to pull the toilet when I get home even watched the video where I guy replaces the flush gasket without removing the toilet. The wife says "slow down, big guy."

I did several flush tests that determined it was a mechanical operator error issue. We tried banging the toilet flush then gentle flush and there was no rhyme or reason water would leak pass the waste ball. But not always. Hell, we put glycerine anti-freeze in the toilet in winterization and it's still there come spring.

Key: Flush the toilet then carefully listen if water is tricking past the waste ball. If you hear it, flush again. Keep flushing until no water sound is heard. Chances are it won't be leaking the second flush.

If you get continuous drain issues replace seals with these parts:

Thetford #34120 waste ball seal kit for style II and Style plus toilets $14.09
(seal is #42141 and the closet bolt package seal #42115).

zoz
This sounds a lot like what was happening for me. Sometimes the water would stay in the bowl, sometimes not. I'll definitely try what you suggested, thanks!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

On ours, the toilet isn't good at holding water at the start of the season. Ignore it for a week or so and it fixes it's self.

The instructions for the toilet I have specify silicone grease on the gasket. If that's what they call out, that's what I'll use.

The first step in "fixing" one that does not self heal is pulling it off. When you do it may become obvious what needs a good scrub. You might also find that you damaged the thing in the process. I'd have a replacement handy *before* I did the pull it off process ....

Bob
Old 09-26-2021, 07:39 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Jeffersonville , IN
I've also learned not to use the cheap antifreeze in the toilet bowl over winter. The alcohol based "cheap" brands deteriorate (harden) the seal and will cause early replacement. For a few more dollars per gallon, it saves the much higher cost of a new seal. I believe Rich Luhr mentions this in his series of books on owing and maintaining an Airstream trailer.
Beamer54 is offline   Reply With Quote