Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
Leaks & Liability

Hi, we just spent $7000 having the floor in our 2006, 16' Bambi replaced (
$6000) due to a leak apparently from the back "hatch" door. We have been fastidious about keeping the trailer clean and maintained but knew nothing about leaks like that. We have not resealed the trailer until now (just had the dealer do it). I have 2 questions: has anyone received compensation from Airstream for rotten floors and what is the best way to check for water intrusion under linoleum? The owner's manual simply talks about maintenance but says nothing about resealing around penetrations and THERE IS NO VISIBLE DAMAGE to the rubber seal around the hatch so we still don't know how the water came in. No collisions or other damage to the trailer. Now that I read about these topics on the forums there are lots of posts about rotten floors. Did Airstream not seal the cut ends of the pressboard they used as a subfloor? What can we do?
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
what is the best way to check for water intrusion under linoleum?
=============
There is a moisture meter available. Not sure who makes it. It is the size of a hand held voltmeter. It has two probes on the top. You put it against any surface, like a floor, and it will read the moisture in percent. Normal for a floor might be 8%, and if you read 30% you would know you have excess moisture from a leak.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I use this one quarterly around the interior perimeter of the trailer. The probe (that looks like an ac plug in the picture) is on the end of a cord and pokes through the vinyl to the plywood subfloor easily.

Sonin 50211 Rapitest 10% to 28% Pinless Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet, and More Moisture Meter - Amazon.com

I found and fixed three small leaks in our 2012 trailer that I would never have known about until the floor was rotten.

Leaks and RV's go together, even $400,000 MHs. I think the more they cost, the more they leak.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I know of an instance with a 2005 FB where the water leaked in at the seam where the back bumper meets the body. AS has since modified the way they seal that section. I happened to be at JC when someone had that work done about 2 years ago and JC covered it under warranty. I should point out that since you had the work done without prior factory authorization, the chances of being compensated are low.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Rotten floor due to water leak!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I have installed two moisture alarms, one under the front window, one under the bathroom cabinet. I will be installing two more, at the back bedroom and underneath the galley.

My model comes with a 6ft long sensor that can be arranged as needed. Within a week of installation it alerted me to a slow drip underneath the bathroom sink caused by a failing washer.

I am also having my trailer serviced once a year, this includes a leak test. Additionally I am planning on getting a moisture meter like dkottum suggests and run a manual test twice a year. When I had my floor replaced, CanAm did seal the edges of the plywood subflooring. I have no idea why this isn't standard.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
Has anyone looked into class action liability for these leaks? It seems we are all very disappointed, but I am not seeing anything about compensation or correction unless you happen to be able to go the factory for some assistance. I am ticked!!
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
To this day, I cannot understand why Airstream does not have some sort of authorized service/repair centers that are not necessarily connected to dealerships. Hooking up and traveling to Jackson Center is not a good thing!

I recently bought a MH made in Canada with Mennonite labor that puts Airstream QC to shame. The AS is still in the hanger and will probably go on the market next spring
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaMcC View Post
Has anyone looked into class action liability for these leaks? It seems we are all very disappointed, but I am not seeing anything about compensation or correction unless you happen to be able to go the factory for some assistance. I am ticked!!
Not taking sides here. But on the subject of lawsuits for damage, class action or otherwise, there are some things to consider…

1 - Can you identify the actual manufacturer's defect that caused the rotten floor?
2 - Can you prove that Airstream Inc. knew about the manufacturer's defect and did nothing to correct it?
3 - Can you prove that Airstream did not offer any remedy when the defect was brought to their attention?

Unless you can answer those three questions with some certainty, your chance of winning a lawsuit is slim. And since the loser in a lawsuit generally has to pay the winner's legal fees, too. Don't consider suing unless you're confident of winning.

And for class-action lawsuits in particular, there's a fourth thing to consider…

4 - Are there enough people with the same problem to constitute a class?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The reality to me is I can regularly inspect my Airstream using the device described in Post #3 and repair minor leaks much easier than I can get involved in a law suit.

It takes about 15 minutes four times a year to inspect with this meter, and is part of an overall inspection of the Airstream and its systems which we need to do regularly anyway.

No doubt I would feel different if I just paid for a new floor replacement.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote