Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Leaking curved front window

I have a 2008 20 ft. Bambi Safari with the great curved front windows.
Recently, we drove in a driving rain and discovered that the front curved window leaked.

I will probably take it to a dealer. However, has anyone had any experience
with this problem? Is the solution to completely remove the window and
reinstall?

Silver Palace.
Silver Palace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is not uncommon for the window to leak, especially with a 6 year old trailer which has not been re sealed. The dealer will probably simply re seal the window from the outside. It would be rare that it could not be fixed that way. Removal to re seal would be pretty drastic, as there are 90 rivets that would have to be replaced.

Also, the leak may not even be in the window, just where it shows the water. Anything from above, including marker lights, vents, and the like could be leaking and the water running down the skin and showing up at the window.

Have the dealer do a complete re seal of the shell, as there may be more that needs attention.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my '07 20' Safari the leak was showing on the window but was actually the hinge for the solar protector on the middle window. It was a chronic problem, but easily seen and remedied.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I thought it was my window leaking... turned out the upper clearance lights have a hole for the wires and other casting holes... sealed it.. no more leaks...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My curved windows have periodically leaked. For the first few repairs I dug out as much old sealer as I could from the outside with a razor knife (perhaps 1/16" deep) and skinned over with new sealer. this lasted about a year. These windows are just "glued in with Vulkem (or the like). They have no inner frame. Normal flexing will not allow the seal to to be durable. THEN this year I had the bright idea to use Captain Tolley's in the existing void between the glass and the old sealer....so far so good. You can actually see the voids between the glass and the exterior frame/sealer from the inside as a color variation as the light plays through the glass. It appears best with an LED lashlight and will mostly be in the lower inside corners of the window. Mine drank a substantial amount of Tolley's over a several application time frame.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
On mine, the leak source was an almost invisible gap in the mitered exterior aluminum frame. The solar protector top hinge was directing water right on to it. A little parbond, and I was good to go.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
On mine, the leak source was an almost invisible gap in the mitered exterior aluminum frame. The solar protector top hinge was directing water right on to it. A little parbond, and I was good to go.
Good call, I too had leaks in those corners. However AS did start welding those corners...but I can't recall if 2008 is welded or just sealed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Good call, I too had leaks in those corners. However AS did start welding those corners...but I can't recall if 2008 is welded or just sealed.

My 2008 Safari 27FB is not welded in the corners. The corners were one of the leak locations that contributed to floor rot in our Airstream.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote