Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lakeland , Florida
leak solution?

Given that no matter what you do, leaks are inevitable and when they occur the water will drain down the inner skins down the the C-channel, why not drill drain holes through the channel and sub-floor so the water drains into the belly pan?

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why this is a bad idea, just thought I would ask. Seems like a simple solution.
CraigCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCam View Post
Given that no matter what you do, leaks are inevitable and when they occur the water will drain down the inner skins down the the C-channel, why not drill drain holes through the channel and sub-floor so the water drains into the belly pan?

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why this is a bad idea, just thought I would ask. Seems like a simple solution.
I asked this same question years ago. Don't recall getting a reasonable answer.
Why the belly pan is not vented is another question.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I asked this same question years ago. Don't recall getting a reasonable answer.
Why the belly pan is not vented is another question.
I vented mine several years ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140523_102349_194.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	338907

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Did both on our '64. Probably will never know if it makes a differance. Used 6" X 12" alum louvered panels in centerline of belly pan, one forward & one aft, backed with kevlar screen for bugs. For the "drain holes" between skins was concerned about exposing the plywood IF the water did drain making matters worse. Epoxied in plastic tubes to line the holes. Only did both sides of the door and below the major windows. Fact is I doubt I'll live long enough to know if it mattered !
putback is offline   Reply With Quote