Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Leak at Front Window

Hello all! We have a 2001 Limited 30' we purchased in July 2017. While removing carpet to have flooring installed we discovered that the carpet padding was wet from what appears to be a leak at the front curbside window. The local RV dealer (not an Airstream dealer) was confident regarding the repair and resealed the front window. However, we are still seeing water come in after the repair! We have taken our Airstream back to the dealer for a follow up repair (no charge!). You can see a black streak from the window to the floor on the "mouse fur".
Any advice on where else this leak could be coming from? The inside of the battery box was dry. We have to be sure this leak is gone before having our new floor installed. Thank you!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak in Front (3).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	306567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recent Leak 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	306568  

Pride&Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
On our 1999 34’ the water came mostly from the upper clearance lights. Care must be taken in that the wires to those light positions are notoriously short in length. Add more if you replace and seal wires well. Make sure wires are also clean!!!

Now I knew the other lights would have issues...

Some folks drill small drain hole at base of housing but this also allows water intrusion.

I used “potted” led replacements and sealed the area “properly.” Without proper seal, water builds up inside then drips into the hull through he wiring hole.

To verify this is the leak you can dry it well and run some more water into the hole... day about a turkey Baster full.... check for water.

Next, wherever the aluminum window sides join to build a frame are leak prone... put water in ther after the clearance light test.. does the water “wick” away??where to?

On floor, I used “Git Rot”.... amazing marine low viscosity epoxy... it seeps and can be injected into the wood where it is “wicked” into the open dry pores... those 3 steps resolved out leak in that area (there is likely more than one””)..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh... you can clean the mouse fur with a upholstery machine... water and baking soda and good soap.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The window leak can be persistent and difficult to "patch seal". It may need to come out and be resealed completely. Relative to the battery box....dry inside doesn't necessarily mean leak free. I just noticed that mine leaks while driving only. Look into the vent slots in the box door frame and examine the "rolled over" area of the plastic liner. (the plastic flange which is trapped between the frame and outer skin). Particularly pay attention to the one directly above the A-frame member. You may see a crack which is caused by the flexing of the frame while driving. I used windshield adhesive to fill and seal the cracks on both boxes.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Leaks find their way in check you clearance light and also your front window sometimes the water will follow a rib between the skin . We had ours resealed at Jackson Center last spring they did a pressure leak test . I did have a front window leak and the replaced the weather seal on that window plus some other areas .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
FWIW, I had a leak in the same spot. Mine was water getting between the curved window glass and metal window frame by going past the seal that connects the glass to the frame. I discovered the source by removing the window bezel inside the trailer. I'm not sure if your windows are constructed in the same manner, but on my 2014 there is no mechanical fastener holding the glass from the inside to the aluminum frame which is riveted to the outside... only the gasket/adhesive. Where the frame follows a slightly different curve than the glass that adhesive layer was not thick enough to span the gap after a few seasonal cycles.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Pressure testing can help
Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I recently removed all my interior front skin and end cap, I was unaware of any leaking until I did this but found one of my battery box doors leaked and windows between pano and center window joint.
The battery box door was removed to find no sealant at skin/door/box just a big smear after assembly from the inside around the plastic box and skin.
This leak was significant and rotted through the floor in a small area under the box. the window seal not so bad but enough to be concerned about long term.
Had no leaking at marker lights though.
My intention for the removal was for repair of some outer skin dings and build an aluminum end cap to replace the ugly yellowing and cracking end cap, my wife thought I was crazy until it revealed the leaking that I was not aware of and better able to stop.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
woodbox 45 - Did you have to remove everything inside for them to do the test? How long did it take? Thanks!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
woodbox 45 - Did you have to remove everything inside for them to do the test? How long did it take? Thanks!
PatLee…you are responding to a discussion-thread from 2018. I doubt the OP is following…. YOu might try a Pvt Msg.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Reviving this thread. My Panos are leaking again, between the glass and the frame in which they are just placed (in sealer).
It appears to be the same vulkem used throughout the trailer. Last time, I just dug out what I could from the outside and pressed new sealer in with my fingertip.
I am wondering if it is best to remove the glass, clean well and go back with automotive 3M windshield adhesive????
Has anyone removed and replaced the panos who could share the process and tools used? What is the thought on windshield adhesive?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-15-2023, 11:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Anyone? Opinion on windshield adhesive?

Old 05-15-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Water will seep under the glass and in to the inner sill of the window. After consult with Jackson Center, I decided to clean the channel between the window glass and the exterior window frame. I didn't dig the good stuff out, just brushed the loose stuff out of the gap. I then sealed with adseal production. I've had no issues since.

I did all windows on our unit except those that open.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Water will seep under the glass and in to the inner sill of the window. After consult with Jackson Center, I decided to clean the channel between the window glass and the exterior window frame. I didn't dig the good stuff out, just brushed the loose stuff out of the gap. I then sealed with adseal production. I've had no issues since.

I did all windows on our unit except those that open.
That's what I did several years ago. Lasted for awhile, but there is too much movement in the front end for polyurethane to stay adhered. You can see from the inside how it pulls away...particularly inboard side and bottom....right above the A frame. That's why I am thinking auto windshield adhesive. But I don't want to overlook something and regret it later.

Old 05-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my 2007 20' the leak was from the hinge at the top of the window guard. I sealed where the hinge attached to the body and all was good.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
On my 2007 20' the leak was from the hinge at the top of the window guard. I sealed where the hinge attached to the body and all was good.
Yeah, this is definitely a window-to-frame leak. Been there before. As a test only, I applied captain tolleys as a test. (It's white) Very easy to see the trail to the inside. Also easy, with tolleys to see how flexing the frame torques that area fo the window frame.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's what I did several years ago. Lasted for awhile, but there is too much movement in the front end for polyurethane to stay adhered. You can see from the inside how it pulls away...particularly inboard side and bottom....right above the A frame. That's why I am thinking auto windshield adhesive. But I don't want to overlook something and regret it later.

Good info. to have. I'll be keeping an eye on it. I did Captain Tolley first, then followed up with adseal. It's sticking tight to both glass and aluminum trim...so far.

I wiped the glass and trim with denatured alcohol, taped off the glass leaving a narrow strip exposed and then caulked it just like a bathtub surround, or counter backslash. It actually looks damn near OEM 😄
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Good info. to have. I'll be keeping an eye on it. I did Captain Tolley first, then followed up with adseal. It's sticking tight to both glass and aluminum trim...so far.

I wiped the glass and trim with denatured alcohol, taped off the glass leaving a narrow strip exposed and then caulked it just like a bathtub surround, or counter backslash. It actually looks damn near OEM [emoji1]
Yup, that's what I do, just tired of redoing it every 4 or 5 years.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
dznf06 - thanks for reviving this thread. The new posts are timely, informative and many describe the type leakage I am seeing right now on one of my front panos. Recently, (on another thread), I learned about Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure and ordered 2 oz of it from Amazon. It got glowing reviews from the many users on the thread. It comes from the Marine boat industry and stays pliable - a good thing on the constantly flexing, front ends of our Airstreams.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote