Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
Leak at Door

Our 2008, 31 ft Classic has had a leak at our entrance door for a few years. Not even sure when we first noticed it. Initially, we found moisture under the welcome mat but no obvious sign of a leak. Never really got any worse. This winter went to check on the trailer in storage and found snow blown at the bottom of the door. Now it’s really serious!
The door gasket was replaced August 2018 but does show some wear. Have tried shaping the door for tighter fit (via the 2x4 in the door method). When the door is closed, the top of door has some “give” when pushed. It also appears that the door gasket is below the surface it should mate with on the top.
Some of the caulking above the door needs to be replaced after this winter season.
Don’t know if the this may be related but over the last 3 years there’s been an annual “separation” between the closet/attachments and the door side wall (curb side) of the trailer. (photos below) The first is the partition next to the stove. Second photo is between the closet and the bedroom wall. We don’t see any issues with partitions on the street side. We don’t have this problem anywhere else. The curbside bedroom storage and all along drivers side do not have any issues.
Visually the exterior skin looks straight. When shaping the door both the top and bottom needed to bend which makes me wonder if the curb inside wall is distorted.
Questions:
1. Has anyone had this experience with your door and how was it solved?
2. Has anyone had experience with the gaping between the interior wall and the partitions (closet), upper cabinets). If so, what was the cause?
3. Is there a connection between the door leaks and the gaps?
Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.

Photos will be provided when I figure out how to do that
Wyokirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'll update this when I see the photos but my initial thought is perhaps your frame is being flexed and twisted excessively. Do you often travel on uneven roadways? Do you have to often traverse deep swales etc. diagonally? Do you put excessive force on the stabilizing jacks or use them to fine tune level? All these things can flex and twist the frame. Backing over uneven surfaces with WD tension applied puts a particularly hard amount of additional torsion on the frame, this is where my door went slightly out of alignment twice, now I relieve tension in severe backup situations.

The frame springs back but the aluminum often does not since there is give in the rivets. If this is the cause, generally you can finese it back somewhat and You mentioned reshaping. That is what I have had to do those couple times. I had good luck with it.

Looking forward to the pictures.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
Photos

Hopefully this adds the photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3928.jpg
Views:	43