Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Charlottesville , Virginia
Kids are stackable, but how?

Here is a fun brain twister. We have five kids, some on track to quickly hit 6ft tall. We are deep in restoring our 1978 25' Tradewind and it is now time to work out our new floor plan. We'll be keeping the bunks over the wheel wells, which takes away the thought of just tossing a camp pad on the floor for the fifth bunk

Has anyone ever seen a design with five bunks, be it stationary or movable? I know navy berths can be as small as 18" clearance, but we're having a hard time envisioning how to not literally go that route. Our original grand plans had something similar to the original Airstream removable bunks, but I'm not sure about it.

Can anyone creative or knowledgeable point me in any direction?
OffTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Have them sleep in a tent.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I don't remember the name of the AirFourms member, but there is someone who had an older trailer that I think was 29 feet, that slept ten. The bedroom had twin beds, and they added two bunks above each. Kid #7 slept on the floor. Mom & dad slept on the dinette table. Grandma slept on the couch.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Hmm, Wonder if hammocks would work; they can be put up and taken down quickly and take up little space. The path to the back bathroom may by blocked, however.

I Like the tent idea, your kids may also, unless it's a downpour. Your truck bed may also be viable, and I have seen pop-up type tents designed to go on top of pick-up trucks. These may be appealing since once they leave the nest, you'll have the camper to yourselves.

Or, conversely, if they want to join you on your expeditions, they may well be into jeeps and tents or small pop-ups, perhaps even the BaseCamp.

Seven in a 78 trade wind: sounds like a movie premise, but is it a comedy or horror film?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
We had 3 high bunks on one side of the Overlander when I was growing up as there 5 of us. The overhead cabinets had to be removed from that side.

I had the topmost bunk. It was snug but it worked.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Found this on the inner pipes, fwiw:

Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
What are you going to do about the single bathroom?
Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Take a number and wait?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Current trailer is 22 foot 1960 overland/safari. orig owner ordered a safari with overland options.

Orig owner took his wife and three kids on the early sixties Mexico Caravan with Wally.

Twin beds with a bunk over one and then two of his kids shared the dinette bed.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
1964 17' Bambi II Bunkhouse

When you dream of owning and traveling in a SMALL Airstream, and then it happens (with a family of four), you have to get creative.

We removed the rear closet and split the kitchen in order to utilize the space better in our 17 footer. Realizing that our little girls would each enjoy their own space within the trailer (SO important!), and probably not like growing up sleeping in a double with her sister, bunks were the answer.

I built stacked bunk beds in this space. From the bulkhead beside the stove to the rear curved corner, the bunks are over 6' long. The biggest issues were width (Bambi trailers are only 7' wide) and head space. Being such a small trailer, the bunks will become a bit more cramped as the girls continue to grow, but so long as they never grow taller than me, they will never have to sleep out in a tent, unless they choose to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-Bunk-Build-for-Web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	375813   Click image for larger version

Name:	USSEUU~1.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	375814  

Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
My folks had a trailer with an 18" clearance top bunk...don't do it, especially with large children. That sucker was so uncomfortable that it was useless. Whoever got stuck sleeping up there had to decide which way they were sleeping before they got on it because to turn over you had to slip out, flip in the air and slip back in, there simply wasn't room to flip over on the bunk. Luckily one little brother was easily convinced to use it (usually only a dollar or two), was training to be a human contortionist and had very good upper body strength. He did however startle to a sit -which often smacked his head into the ceiling above him (great fun for us older kids!).

We only suffered for a very short time, we all opted to move out into a tent and my folks converted the bunk into storage. Still miss seeing the look on my little brother's face when he bumped his head (again) because someone said "Boo"!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
What are you going to do about the single bathroom?
Hmmm, I wonder how many tanks and of what size you could possibly fit into a 25 foot tradewind?

If it was originally designed for two adults for a week, then what is there should last you two days.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Add a tent!

I can even imagine how to fit five kids in our 34 footer!

We had a little T@B trailer two years ago that came with a 10 by 12 attachable tent. That doubled our space! I’d take a lesson from T@B and look at adding a channel for attaching a tent. Then I’d make a tent to go with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABE022B1-6F52-47B7-B6FE-E7604BB587B0.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	375876  
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Charlottesville , Virginia
Thanks for all of the entertaining replies everyone :-)

Our family travels would definitely classify as a comedy, but less so than it would seem. We are all well accustomed to squishing together, living in a 1400sqft house with two tiny bathrooms. There was even a time that all five kids bunked in the same room during some construction, so they are no strangers to coziness.

And the question about the bathroom situation ... well... tents don’t have bathrooms and we’ve all survived this long �� (We’ve tent camped with them since the first was tiny - finally finishing the trailer will seem like luxury).

I do have some bunking ideas rattling around, but was hoping there was a been there, done that source out there. Whatever we come up with, I’m definitely planning to make it easily reversible for when we travel with less of them (still a long way off from that though).
OffTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheTrail View Post
Thanks for all of the entertaining replies everyone :-)

Our family travels would definitely classify as a comedy, but less so than it would seem. We are all well accustomed to squishing together, living in a 1400sqft house with two tiny bathrooms. There was even a time that all five kids bunked in the same room during some construction, so they are no strangers to coziness.

And the question about the bathroom situation ... well... tents don’t have bathrooms and we’ve all survived this long �� (We’ve tent camped with them since the first was tiny - finally finishing the trailer will seem like luxury).

I do have some bunking ideas rattling around, but was hoping there was a been there, done that source out there. Whatever we come up with, I’m definitely planning to make it easily reversible for when we travel with less of them (still a long way off from that though).

Reach out to Pizzachop via a private message. Ron has a house full of kids and travels with them in a 31’. He’s the one I’d go to for expert advice in this area.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It rained at the Oshkosh, WI, Airventure Campground during the week long boondocking experience. We had 10 people sleeping in our 34' SOD. The extras said it beat sleeping out in the thunderstorms.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote