Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Keeping the original rear Bathroom

We are in a decision pickle. Our 70 Overlander has the rear bath. We have gutted the trailer , but kept all the interior. Since we have decided to keep the rear bathroom , has anyone reused all the components ( repainted if needed) or did you ditch them in lue of building new cabinets and a new shower pan? We are not removing the end cap. With this being said, the storage on the shower wall is 2 piece. The original storage doesn't ,( IMO) seem to be watertight. Anyone come up with any ideas as to keep, reuse half or ditch all the components?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180128_130316095.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	304635
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
If they are in good shape and you don't mind reusing go for it. They can be repainted to look good. Replacement can get costly.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
I have no qualms about reusing it. We will need the river trim replaced however. Husband feels that making a simple wall length unit and stand alone commode, would be easier than painting, refitting, reriviting ..
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
We are in a decision pickle. Our 70 Overlander has the rear bath. We have gutted the trailer , but kept all the interior. Since we have decided to keep the rear bathroom , has anyone reused all the components ( repainted if needed) or did you ditch them in lue of building new cabinets and a new shower pan? We are not removing the end cap. With this being said, the storage on the shower wall is 2 piece. The original storage doesn't ,( IMO) seem to be watertight. Anyone come up with any ideas as to keep, reuse half or ditch all the components?? Attachment 304635
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180221_100532.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	304636. This other photo shows the area of concern.. there was a shelving unit that wasn't very watertight taking up this space... If we replace the tub with a shower pan , what material can be inserted in this area that can be molded/slightly bent to fit the void?? Anyone ever work with this dilemma before? I'd love ideas. Thank you
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Following.

My 71 Sovereign has the same end cap. I would love to get rid of the shelf and upper storage to gain more shoulder and head room.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In my 71 I have spent a lot of time trying to save the sink counter. I believe it is ABS plastic. The plastic has become brittle over time and crack keep reappearing. If I had it to do again I would replace it. I painted my tub on my 73 with 2 part epoxy paint and that worked really well.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Following.

My 71 Sovereign has the same end cap. I would love to get rid of the shelf and upper storage to gain more shoulder and head room.
Agree!!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
In my 71 I have spent a lot of time trying to save the sink counter. I believe it is ABS plastic. The plastic has become brittle over time and crack keep reappearing. If I had it to do again I would replace it. I painted my tub on my 73 with 2 part epoxy paint and that worked really well.
Our counter and tub shell has a tiny crack that was epoxied . I'd like to rid the entire end cap but the price and time of replacing it is not an option .
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
Following.

. I'd like to cut away the sides up to the top of the wall portion, find something to use as a wall and connect that to the remaining end cap. But, I am not sure how well the material of the end cap would handle the stress of being cut.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ours was not in very good condition, and hubby didn't like the low sink under the back window. So, we ditched it all and rebuilt everything. We left the toilet in original position (replaced it), and then built the sink cabinet over the water heater by the doorway to the bathroom. We put a step tub to fit over the wheel well against the front facing wall of the bathroom. It works for us. Rear end caps are hard to find, if at all. We were lucky ours was in good shape.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Anyone have photos of their rear bathroom?? Our AS will be home in a few weeks ready to be put back together and I need ideas!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
marine , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
We are in a decision pickle. Our 70 Overlander has the rear bath. We have gutted the trailer , but kept all the interior. Since we have decided to keep the rear bathroom , has anyone reused all the components ( repainted if needed) or did you ditch them in lue of building new cabinets and a new shower pan? We are not removing the end cap. With this being said, the storage on the shower wall is 2 piece. The original storage doesn't ,( IMO) seem to be watertight. Anyone come up with any ideas as to keep, reuse half or ditch all the components?? Attachment 304635
I am restoring a 63' safari and am not replacing the bath. I decided to use the space for computer/"nav" station. All the times we've been out never used it. that being said I am putting an outdoor shower off the back for emercencys and a dog wash. I would like to see what else your doing. Dan
leedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Ours was not in very good condition, and hubby didn't like the low sink under the back window. So, we ditched it all and rebuilt everything. We left the toilet in original position (replaced it), and then built the sink cabinet over the water heater by the doorway to the bathroom. We put a step tub to fit over the wheel well against the front facing wall of the bathroom. It works for us. Rear end caps are hard to find, if at all. We were lucky ours was in good shape.

Kay
Kay, hubby doesn't like ours either.. the shower and toilet will remain in the same general area. I've been hunting cabinetry ideas and the lower portion of the bathroom isn't the problem as much as trying to find a fix for the area where the enclosed shelf/ sliding door was...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedr View Post
I am restoring a 63' safari and am not replacing the bath. I decided to use the space for computer/"nav" station. All the times we've been out never used it. that being said I am putting an outdoor shower off the back for emercencys and a dog wash. I would like to see what else your doing. Dan
Hi Dan, husband is trying to talk me into removing the bathroom as well. He's already pulled all the propane lines also. Right now it's having a shell off repair and replace done. Other than that we have only ideas on paper.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Anderson , Indiana
A couple answers.

The fiberglass end cap cuts like butter with any power tools.

I would reconsider not taking it out. It is one of the worst rodent areas in the trailer and it may stink if you dont clean out behind it. Mine literally had a pile of poo above the light fixture.

Im trying to plan the same on my 70 Soverign. I decided to ditch the endcap altogether, in favor of aluminum. Ive seen a lot of people use a square shower pan forward of the curve and then build a bench or something in the curved area.

As for wall coatings you can get plastic sheets in flat or textured "frp" just about anywhere.
dougsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
lacombe , Alberta
Bathroom solution

My 69 Landyacht had the same problem...

build modular panels out of stainless steel sheet. pop rivit the hems of each panel together as they are installed.
I'm thinking of using granite slabs for countertop.

The one part I have not envisioned yet is the slash on the left hand side next to the window. Dont know what I'm gonna do there.

b
naidni45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedr View Post
Not to change the subject but: Glad to hear your choices on the bath & your restore. I eliminated my bath also and plan to use an exterior shower for boon-docking. I also eliminated the hot water tank. I am using a small propane hot water on demand from home-cheapo that hangs on a hook outside if I need it. They are cheap and much less trouble. I like simplicity.
Thanks
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Anderson , Indiana
I would be careful with the granite, you dont want too much weight at the very rear.

I was thinking of doing corian, which is a bit lighter than granite
dougsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmiley View Post
I would be careful with the granite, you dont want too much weight at the very rear.

I was thinking of doing corian, which is a bit lighter than granite
You can get White Corian in 1/4" thickness; apply it to some 1/2" Baltic Birch and mount a Corian sink underneath it and you're good to go.

Stay away from Granite! Stop renovating your trailer the same way as your house.😖
Cheers
Sidekick Tony.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used Menards fiberglass panels for shower walls. Maybe you could do something with those? We had the ability to take our upper shelf out and just have the rounded end cap in the rear bath.
Our thread is "Little Girl Refurb" in the "70's section. Bathroom pics are there. Chris did a video walk through of the trailer near the end of the thread. We replaced the twin beds in the middle of the trailer with a double, and moved the aisle and bathroom door over. Made for more storage for us and sleeping arrangements we wanted.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote