Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The plastic parts can be painted with tube and tile epoxy (got it at Sherwin Williams). I painted the lav and shower/tub 9 years ago and it still looks great. I used Krylon Fusion on the surrounds and plastic that did not get wear. The tub make a great storage area for dirty clothes, bicycle wheels, water hoses, etc when traveling.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
Rear restroom

I plan to keep the rear restroom the same in our 1969 31' Sovereign. I like the location and truthfully, I want to keep the Airstream as original and stock as possible. I'm not interested in 2018 modern innovations, just what it was. I want to see it as it was. That's what classics are, aren't they? I kicked myself recently, I came across a pristine 1969 Oldsmobile station wagon recently and regret not making an offer to buy it to its proud elderly owner!
supercubep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Anderson , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You can get White Corian in 1/4" thickness; apply it to some 1/2" Baltic Birch and mount a Corian sink underneath it and you're good to go.

Stay away from Granite! Stop renovating your trailer the same way as your house.[emoji37]
Cheers
Sidekick Tony.
Thats what i was thinking of doing for all the counters in the trailer.

Ive seen it installed at construction sites and it seems fairly easy to work with.

Yea i dont get granite its heavy and seems like it would be prone to cracking.

Great minds think alike i guess
dougsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
We used Menards fiberglass panels for shower walls. Maybe you could do something with those? We had the ability to take our upper shelf out and just have the rounded end cap in the rear bath.
Our thread is "Little Girl Refurb" in the "70's section. Bathroom pics are there. Chris did a video walk through of the trailer near the end of the thread. We replaced the twin beds in the middle of the trailer with a double, and moved the aisle and bathroom door over. Made for more storage for us and sleeping arrangements we wanted.

Kay
Kay, all I can say is "Wow"... Our AS is also our retirement thing. We bought it, camped in it and started gutting this winter. Knew we were going to head into murky waters we have a list and plan. Due to my husband working out of state and only being home maybe 8 days a month, we hired out to replace the sub floor and repair the frame. The rest can be done at home in the pole barn with time. Your story is an inspiration. I def am going to make my husband read it!! I am hoping you stay near to help with questions I may throw your way?! I guess this weekend I should use the laptop and start a start to finish thread!
Dawn
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
Attachment 304636. This other photo shows the area of concern.. there was a shelving unit that wasn't very watertight taking up this space... If we replace the tub with a shower pan , what material can be inserted in this area that can be molded/slightly bent to fit the void?? Anyone ever work with this dilemma before? I'd love ideas. Thank you
The big question is... does that curve in one dimension or two? If it's one dimension, you can use a great trick with two sheets of 1/8th inch ply. I did a bunch of tortured ply installs in my trailer, and was able to get a 9" diameter radius out of the technique. ALL of my cabinetry is curved, or epoxy glass, so I know this works!

So here it is: cut your two pieces slightly oversize. Rig up 1X scraps so that they can push the ply into exact position. Use 6 oz. fiberglass cloth and boatbuilder's epoxy to form a sandwich between the two pieces, and shove them into place while wet. After the epoxy is good and set, you can pull the piece out and trim to perfection. The outside can be painted to match, and epoxied over. You can also do cool things like use fancy paper or fabric (Hawaiian shirt?) to give you a great finish. Or if the wood is nice enough, go with a "bright" finish, but make sure that you use no-blush epoxy.

PM me for details...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
shower replacement

I don't think your looking to do what I did but I wanted to share with you an expensive option. I had that ugly looking tub/shower base and gross shower your dealing with and we opted to replace the whole thing including tearing down the left side upper cabinet. I went to JC and bought a 2 piece shower shell that would fit our 1975 Overlander. Fortunately we had to change the 3 top rear panels outside because of some damage, because as it turned out, through the roof was the only way they would fit into place. The drain lined up and only minimal water lines needed extending placing the faucet up higher. I also replaced the cheesy folding door with a pocket door on the left side of the shell. The right edge of the shower shell was meet with the corian counter from the sink ending at the shower shell and then going upwards to seal off the edge of the shower. The shower shell was $1,200. but it's pretty cool. It even has a seat in it. Good luck and have fun working on your investment.

A mistake is only an error if it goes uncorrected.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote