Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Jackson Center questions

We still have some issues with the Bambi, some of which I consider major, such as dark spots caused by aluminum dust leaching through the fabric lining on the ceiling, and the black tank sensor, which has proven to be beyond the ability of our dealership. Some are minor, such as peeling laminates, a defective lighted switch, and miscellaneous fit and finish items.

We're planning on a trip to the Midwest in the early fall and thought a stop at Jackson Center to correct these problems once and for all would be more efficient than taking it back and forth to our dealership and potentially losing the Bambi for weeks during prime camping season (I base this on past experience).

I thought I would seek some advice from those who have made the trip so I could get an idea of what to expect. I am aware that an appointment is necessary, and plan to send a detailed repair list, but how much advance notice does Airstream require? I know they have a campground on-site. I'm thinking the ceiling repair , etc. will not be able to be finished in one day. Is there a hotel nearby? Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They are closed for the weekend, but here is their phone # for Monday morning: 937-596-6111
And here is a quick list of hotels, the closest of which seems to be about 10 miles away:
Holiday Inn Express
1008 Lunar Drive, Wapakoneta, Ohio
11 mi NW - (419) 738-2050
Super 8 Motel
1011 Lunar Dr, Wapakoneta, OH
11 mi NW - (419) 738-8810
Days Inn
1659 Bellefontaine St, Wapakoneta, OH
11 mi NW - (419) 738-2184
Best Western
1510 Saturn Dr, Wapakoneta, OH
11 mi NW - (419) 738-8181
Best Western of Wapakoneta
1510 Saturn Dr, Wapakoneta, OH
11 mi NW - (419) 738-9978
Travelodge
413 Apollo Dr, Wapakoneta, OH
11 mi NW - (419) 739-9600
Sidney Motel
818 Wapakoneta Ave, Sidney, OH
11 mi SW - (937) 492-4800
Catalina Motel
15115 State Route 67, Wapakoneta, OH
12 mi NW - (419) 738-2649
Auglaize Inn
101 W Auglaize St, Wapakoneta, OH
12 mi NW - (419) 738-7775
Jake's Holiday Inn
400 Folkerth Avenue, Sidney, Ohio
13 mi SW - (937) 492-1131
Old 06-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
We still have some issues with the Bambi, some of which I consider major, such as dark spots caused by aluminum dust leaching through the fabric lining on the ceiling, and the black tank sensor, which has proven to be beyond the ability of our dealership. Some are minor, such as peeling laminates, a defective lighted switch, and miscellaneous fit and finish items.

We're planning on a trip to the Midwest in the early fall and thought a stop at Jackson Center to correct these problems once and for all would be more efficient than taking it back and forth to our dealership and potentially losing the Bambi for weeks during prime camping season (I base this on past experience).

I thought I would seek some advice from those who have made the trip so I could get an idea of what to expect. I am aware that an appointment is necessary, and plan to send a detailed repair list, but how much advance notice does Airstream require? I know they have a campground on-site. I'm thinking the ceiling repair , etc. will not be able to be finished in one day. Is there a hotel nearby? Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Telephone the plant, and ask to speak to Chris Birch. He's the guy who schedules the service repair work. It doesn't sound to me like it should take them more than a day to do the work you've described. Also, depending on how much your trailer might be torn up at the end of the day, they often pull them out of the shop and take them back to the Terraport (camping area) so people can stay in them at night.

I've been there a handful of times for repairs to our trailer during the past 2 years. They do very good work, as you'd expect, and have very accommodating people in the service department. You'll be glad afterwards that you took your trailer there for repairs. (Other than the fact that it isn't very pleasant to have these repair issues to begin with on a new trailer.)

John
Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks info and the links, Terry. I didn't realize JC was so small. Checked the history of the village on their home page and found there was actually a hotel there in the mid 1800's.

John, I appreciate the contact. We were planning to visit the factory sometime, and figured we may as well do it while getting some warranty work done. I've heard they do really good work out there and are very accomodating. I had to make three trips to my dealership before they fixed a plumbing leak. Ultimately, they contacted the Airstream Service Dept. for guidance, and finally got it done right. Aside from the repairs, I'm really looking forward to the trip.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
jackson ctr

you could try lima, oh. which is a bigger "metro" area. its just north of jackson ctr. i've been to lima several times and it seems decent. i don't know enough about it to make any recomendations. i would just get you lost! i live about an hour away.

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
If you need to burn some time and enjoy aircraft history the USAF museum is in Dayton (about an hour South) it's free, and has an IMAX.
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are a number of places to visit while around JC, but you don't really need to stay at any hotel. I stayed in the Safari and woke up and they'd take the unit, and I'd be out and about during the day, come back and the trailer would either be near done for the day and on it's way back to the campground or, already be at the campground.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote