Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Issues with Airstream Dealership - anyone got any thoughts on how to resolve?

Hi everyone, hope your summer was awesome. Like a lot of you, I set out this summer for a 4 month road trip. Prior to leaving, I paid for a mobile technician to do a general service. He also put on new tires, battery, and wired in a 2000w inverter and kill switch.

40 miles into my journey, the wheel came off. It hadn't been torqued properly by the technician. Yeah I know, I should have double/triple checked it. Lesson learned.

But it gets worse.....

The Airstream was taken to Airstream of Scottsdale on a flat bed truck, and a couple of days later I headed back out on a much shortened Airbnb road trip.

$19,000 in insurance payouts, and 6 weeks later, I went to pick up the Airstream. I asked them (out of an abundance of caution) to check the technician's wiring.

You guessed it....the wiring was highly dangerous and not to code... (insert many swear words). Airstream was asked both verbally and in writing, to bring the wiring to code, but to keep the equipment intact.

When I went to pick up the Airstream a week later, they had rewired it back to factory spec, removing the inverter and kill-switch. I could live with that, BUT, they also completely removed the wiring for my existing roof solar, which I had bought and had installed by Airstream several years prior at a cost of around $1500.

I was upset naturally, and spoke with the Director, and the technician. Since they were moving to Chandler the next day, they asked me to tow it away and bring it to them on 09/07 for review and repair. That was the 28th August.... since then, the ONLY communication that I have had from them was a voice message on September 3rd, saying they aren't certified yet to receive trailers at the property in Chandler.

No response to multiple emails. No response to texts. No response to phone calls. No response to the escalation made to Airstream Corporate. No response to the BBB complaint raised on the 10th September. Nothing!

To get my solar rewired, I have a quote for approx. $1k from another trailer repair shop. The chopped the wires right up at the roof panels. It's a big piece of work to rewire it. 8-10 hours work.

What can I do other than sue them?

I could go to the media. But I really just want to move on from this stressful experience.

Anyone got any bright ideas on a remedy, so one day, I can go camping (sorry, glamping) again?

TIA
Mary
Old 09-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Wow, wish you luck. Have you tried going there ?
Old 09-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Issues with Airstream Dealership - anyone got any thoughts on how to resolve?

To sue them in small claims court for $1000 is not worth your time. Just use google and other tools to determine who owns / runs the dealership operation and approach that leader with your dilemma. Help them understand you delivered $19k of revenue to the business in good faith and the team needs to tidy things up / actually caused additional damage to the unit.

Keep the communications brief and provide specific direction on what they need to do to cure the problem.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The new Chandler of Airstream "We are Airstream" is not really open yet even if they are running a office out of there. Construction delays to a prior Sam's Club commercial property. I could run by there to check it out for you.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
That is a real SNAFU...

Can you tow the trailer safely?

YES... Gather up all your paperwork all necessary forms and functions and plan a vacation to Jackson Center.

More realistically call them ask them for guidance & which dealership in your area they would recommend to get your trailer squared away.

GOOD LUCK 🌅

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
Old 09-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Can you tow the trailer safely?

YES... Gather up all your paperwork all necessary forms and functions and plan a vacation to Jackson Center.

More realistically call them ask them for guidance & which dealership in your area they would recommend to get your trailer squared away.

GOOD LUCK 🌅

Bob
🇺🇸
Hey Robert. Thanks for the thoughts. The trailer is now mostly repaired ($19k insurance paid plus $2200 for the wiring). The wiring is what was done incorrectly - removing my existing solar setup. They also got paid for several insurance items that they never did, so the insurance co has filed an insurance fraud claim against them, but that's another story.

So it is towable, but I have no plans to go to Jackson. I already reached out to management there and formally asked for their help getting Airstream of Scottsdale to complete their work, but after much silence, I called again, and found they wouldn't get involved, since it is a dealership, it's own LLC company. I think that's pretty disappointing, but it is what it is.

The BBB complaint will eventually make its way to their website, and the public can make their own judgement. There's a great Vintage Trailer restoration repair shop nearby that I have found. They already completed some of the incomplete insurance work at my house, but for the solar, I have to take it to their yard.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Airstream Scottsdale.

Without a doubt the absolute worst dealer in my experience. Never againÖ
Old 09-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
100% agree. Never again will I give them my hard earned $$$s
Old 09-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, dealers are not all created equal. There is an unfortunately long list of ones to avoid. Just why / how they stay dealers is a bit unclear. The obvious answer is that they make their sales quota each year.

Any time you "visit" an outfit the day before it closes, things will be in turmoil. As a location shuts down, folks head out and find new jobs. In today's market / most areas that's not at all hard to do. By the time shutdown week gets there, you very likely have made it past the A, B, C and D teams ....

If they physically don't have a building to do business from, there's not a lot they could do directly, even if they wanted to. Once the building opens, they are right back in the same staffing boondoggle. There is no telling how long it will take them to (if ever ...) hire a qualified staff of service folks. My local Ford dealer has been without a diesel mechanic for 3 months (which they point out when you call about an appointment ....). It could take these guys 4 months to hire an "electrical tech".

Sending it out to somebody else in the area is equally problematic. You already have a great example of that from your mobile tech. There aren't a lot of Airstreams out there and thus not a lot of dealers or service shops. "Close" for a good shop might be the SF Bay Area...

Bob
Old 09-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Green Island , NY
In dire times like these I would only trust the mothership.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Can you share who you had do your work. We have a 2018 out of warranty with panels that have a really big leak. We have not had a good experience at Scottsdale and we need help getting this leak sealed. Unfortunately since we are AZ people we did not find our leak until Iowa summer. Who was your vintage person you were referring to? Thanks for your help
Old 09-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
Can you share who you had do your work. We have a 2018 out of warranty with panels that have a really big leak. We have not had a good experience at Scottsdale and we need help getting this leak sealed. Unfortunately since we are AZ people we did not find our leak until Iowa summer. Who was your vintage person you were referring to? Thanks for your help
Hi

Assuming that was a question to me:

My reference to the SF Bay Area was to:

http://www.vinniesairstream.com

Bob
Old 09-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry about the bad experience you are having.

We purchased our Classic from AS Scottsdale a few months back. While we haven’t needed to take it back for service, I’ve had to contact them a few times for technical advice and issues related to the registration. I think they’ve been polite and helpful.

IMHO, taking an AS in for warranty service is going to be a PITA regardless. You will have to make an appointment way ahead of time, probably leave it for a long time, and then be at the mercy of the expertise of the person that is fixing it. If you were the owner of the dealership, I imagine it would be pretty hard find and keep highly qualified mechanics working for you all the time. It shouldn’t be that way but in reality, it is.

There is a small shop in my area (Tucson) owned by a guy who used to work at AS. They do repairs (non-warranty) and restorations and have been in business for the past 30 years. If I have something that is not going to be major $$, I’ll take it there for the repair. To me, it is worth the time & money to get it done right.

Just my opinion anyway.

Arthur
Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I'm out, never to buy a new Airstream again.

I'm just thankful the one we own has finally reached the point confident mobility.

Fingers crossed that all here will find the same Valhalla.
Hoping it happens soon in time to enjoy.

"We are all on the same road, some just further along than others"
RLC

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
Old 09-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

redding , California
The quickest path IS a lawyer, but to corporate not the service dealer. YOu already posted on a forum with thousands of AS loyalist! Cost of one letter from attorney will be all it takes.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Arthur, does your go-to-guy in Tucson AZ for AS service have a name?
-Hugh
Old 09-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Arthur, does your go-to-guy in Tucson AZ for AS service have a name?
-Hugh
Hi Hugh,

Yes: https://oasisrv.com/

Arthur
Old 09-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell57;
The quickest path IS a lawyer, but to corporate not the service dealer. YOu already posted on a forum with thousands of AS loyalist! Cost of one letter from attorney will be all it takes.

Retain a litigation attorney for a $1000 claim? No, that is not worth it.

The insurance company is dealing with this it sounds like, and that is appropriate as they have staff that will deal with this. Best path is to work it that way, partner with the adjuster and have them compensated for the over the top work that is being performed to correct the issues from the dealership.

My $0.02.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Mchenry , IL
To me this is just not an issue with that dealer but an issue with the quality coming from the Jackson Center Factory. This needs to addressed before the only good airstream is an old airstream becomes the reality.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
It is unfortunate that so many folks have such bad experiences with so many AS dealers. Also unfortunate is that other brands seem to have equally poor reputations. Trust but verify is one approach. I have not been back to our selling dealer since the day we bought ours, and plan on keeping it that way although I have spent about $500 and some hours repairing or replacing items that would have been covered by warranty, it is worth it to me to know it is done correctly and neatly. The small independent shops with good reputations may be the best way to go.