Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lbdfc , Ontario
Is this dent fixable? (w/ pic)

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 69 Airstream Sovereign 31' for a complete, shell-off restoration. I have found one that is in very good condition (very little rust, all original) for about $5500 USD. The catch is that it has a very large dent at the rear.

So for all the experts and aficionados with relevant experience, does this dent look fixable to you? If so, is the over all price reasonable?

Thanks in advance, and happy airstreaming!
mattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Generally, done properly, a panel repair/replacement is in the range of $3,000 to $5,000 per panel. You appear to have at least two panels involved in this situation (I can't see the rear of the trailer so there may be more) but the two I see are adjacent so you'll get some "economies" but plan on between $5,000 and $7,000 (U.S.) Check with CanAm in London, ON. They can give you a better estimate. Is there no damage on the inside? It seems likely that with this much damage on the outside that there may be issues on the inside as well which would be more work and more $.

Unfortunately, getting this fixed is not trivial.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face Panel replacement.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattler View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 69 Airstream Sovereign 31' for a complete, shell-off restoration. I have found one that is in very good condition (very little rust, all original) for about $5500 USD. The catch is that it has a very large dent at the rear.

So for all the experts and aficionados with relevant experience, does this dent look fixable to you? If so, is the over all price reasonable?

Welcome Aboard.....

Not a real expert and I'm certainly not relevant .....but I think the asking price is pretty close to what it will cost to replace the damaged panels & ribs along with two new axles.
But shell-off DIY...it may be worth it.
Bob
Old 10-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The good news is.... That's not really a big dent, it's more like a medium sized oops!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I just re-read your post and see that you are planning on doing a shell-off restoration so that changes my answer a bit since you will have removed the interior as part of that process anyway. Yes, this is reparable, and the incremental cost given the shell off situation is probably no more than half the figure I suggested previously.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hello,

2 new panels, 200 rivets and 3 tubes of Vulkem 116, a curved frame piece
~$1,000.- US for parts
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
2 new panels, 200 rivets and 3 tubes of Vulkem 116, a curved frame piece
~$1,000.- US for parts
Peter.

You would make a good Airstream damage estimator. But, there is no curved frame piece within the wall.

The labor would be a total of about 14 hours, which includes painting the wide blue stripe.

So, the total job, including freight, and sales tax, would be just under $ 3,000.00.

Anything more than that would be out of line.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Peter.

You would make a good Airstream damage estimator. But, there is no curved frame piece within the wall.
Andy
Well, there is in the 79 Motorhome, not much of a frame piece, but yes there is this curved piece.
Peter: 1 - Andy: 0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	249498  
AIR #13
Old 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well, there is in the 79 Motorhome, not much of a frame piece, but yes there is this curved piece.
Peter.

Motor home yes, you are absolutely correct.

Trailer, no.

Andy 1

Peter 1 1/2

Andy
Old 10-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Peter.

Oops;

On later trailers that bow is exactly in the same p[lace as the classic motorhomes.

Andy 1

Peter 2 1/2

Andy
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Am I the only one trying to Google map Lbdfc , Ontario.

If I were you (PO) I would start asking around the various Airstream clubs in your area for anyone that has had experience doing this sort of work. They could come over and walk you through the steps....

Show you the proper way to drill out rivets and remove the panels. Using Clecos to hold panels together for fitment, sealing and riveting (Buck or Olympic). They may have or will know how to get some of the specialized tools needed.

I have found this approach works for me as I renovated my 310 with the help of another Airstream motorhome owner. Make sure you are willing to do the dirty prep work and only have them around for the nitty gritty stuff. Offer to compensate them for their time and effort; in my case I bought the door hinges for their coach as well as my own along with other parts.

If you are attempting a shell off, then you are either blissfully ignorant of what that entails, or you already have some skills and are handy.

Good luck
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
First time I read this I thought ouch, then I got it, "If you are attempting a shell off, then you are either blissfully ignorant of what that entails, or you already have some skills and are handy."
So assuming you're really handy and good at figuring things out and can dobtheceork yourself then you can keep it relatively cheap as mentioned, $1500-2000. 2 panels, shipping(not cheap for these), rivet tools, time and practice. Since you're going shell off you'll be getting half way there anyways.
Even if interior panels are damaged they are flat aluminum just cut funny, and the old ones make good templates.
Bigger worry would be broken or damaged bathroom components as they can be tough to find if you need to replace them.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Lbdfc , Ontario
Wow... this is one of the best forums I've ever been on. Thanks for all of the great feedback and words of caution. And to clarify, I'm both blissfully ignorant and handy.

More than anything I'm not too proud to admit when I don't know how to do something, and for the love of airstreams, I'm willing to take the time to learn how to get it right. This will be a long project for me, but it's meant to be.

As an aside, I've found a 1982 34" Limited for $7,500 - does anyone have any suggestions of words of caution there?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Wow... this is one of the best forums I've ever been on. Thanks for all of the great feedback and words of caution. And to clarify, I'm both blissfully ignorant and handy.

More than anything I'm not too proud to admit when I don't know how to do something, and for the love of airstreams, I'm willing to take the time to learn how to get it right. This will be a long project for me, but it's meant to be.

As an aside, I've found a 1982 34" Limited for $7,500 - does anyone have any suggestions of words of caution there?

Thanks!
I would personally rather go with the 82 limited, despite the issues with that year and length . (Silica particles inside double windows, front shell frame separation, triple axles to deal with etc.) The 34' are roomy trailers and the limited edition have nice perks.
AIR #13
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Lbdfc , Ontario
Thanks for the tip Peter, it mirrors my own thoughts as well. I was born in '82, so I'm kind of partial to it anyway

I will be full-timing in a cold weather climate (where it's often -5f (-20c) for weeks on end) for a couple years while I build my house. For this reason, and for a few others, I'm going to be doing a complete shell-off restoration of whatever I end up buying, along with the addition of closed cell insulation, in-floor heating, and new windows (as req'd).

The question becomes, can most of the issues you highlighted about the 1982 year be fixed in a shell-off restoration? My budget is around $40k USD, but I will be doing all of the work myself.

And if so, can the frame be reinforced so that frame separation is no longer an issue? Are there any model years for the 34' that are known to be particularly good?

Thanks again, I appreciate all the knowledge in this forum, tremendously.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
mattler, May I suggest you study up on just what "frame separation" entails..It might make your life easier, or you could just let Andy solve it for you~..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Peter, it mirrors my own thoughts as well. I was born in '82, so I'm kind of partial to it anyway

I will be full-timing in a cold weather climate (where it's often -5f (-20c) for weeks on end) for a couple years while I build my house. For this reason, and for a few others, I'm going to be doing a complete shell-off restoration of whatever I end up buying, along with the addition of closed cell insulation, in-floor heating, and new windows (as req'd).

The question becomes, can most of the issues you highlighted about the 1982 year be fixed in a shell-off restoration? My budget is around $40k USD, but I will be doing all of the work myself.

And if so, can the frame be reinforced so that frame separation is no longer an issue? Are there any model years for the 34' that are known to be particularly good?

Thanks again, I appreciate all the knowledge in this forum, tremendously.
Beefing up the frame, IS NOT THE ANSWER.

The trailer is built like an aircraft, which is called MONOCOQUE

That means the "SHELL" is load bearing. When you beef up the frame, you will add to the failure rate of the rear end.

What must be "beefed up" is the way the shell is attached to the frame. Using larger rivets, and much more of them, is the answer. Then you can ignore doing anything to the frame.

Andy.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho, providing the frame is good forward of the last four feet fixing rear separation is about a day or two job less removing and reinstalling bath fixtures. Add a day each for removal and replacement. Of course this is not a factor at all if the trailer is a shell off job because you have to do it anyway.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
Nothing money can't fix.

Quote:
Hello,

It is fixable, just takes money and if you are planning a shell off renovation it won't be a big deal.
D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This thread may have information on frame separation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-end-2202.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote