Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

1965 26' Overlander
Dunedin , Oregon
Question Invisible leak

I have a 1965 26' Overlander. There is a leak somewhere in the back, and I can't find where the water is coming from. I find a puddle in the center of the bathroom floor (rear bathroom). I have sealed everything that I can think of on the roof, and around the rear access panel. I have tried spraying water to see where it comes in at and thought I had found it coming in the rear access panel, which is why I sealed it. Every time it rains, it happens again. What am I missing? Has anyone else had this problem? I would hate to have to disassemble the bathroom to find it.
josiethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Don't know about a '65, but in my '77, I found that water would run down the back wall (exterior) and seep in where the skin tucks forward/under and meets the top of the frame, and back bumper and the interior plywood flooring. There was nothing in the design to prevent it and water will run until it finds the low point and puddles. You haven't mentioned finding rot so hopefully you won't have to remove the bath (like I did) to replace the floor. I ended up replacing the bath with a queen size bed - so no big deal for me. Good luck.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiethings View Post
I have a 1965 26' Overlander. There is a leak somewhere in the back, and I can't find where the water is coming from. I find a puddle in the center of the bathroom floor (rear bathroom). I have sealed everything that I can think of on the roof, and around the rear access panel. I have tried spraying water to see where it comes in at and thought I had found it coming in the rear access panel, which is why I sealed it. Every time it rains, it happens again. What am I missing? Has anyone else had this problem? I would hate to have to disassemble the bathroom to find it.
Aren't all leaks invisible? It is one of those gremlin things.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I don't know about 1965 but if you have a vent pipe there is a boot around the pipe that has to be replaced from time to time.
The leak may show up somewhere other than at the pipe.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

1965 26' Overlander
Dunedin , Oregon
I will try FL Crackers suggestion. The vent is new, and I've sealed all around it. Fortunately, we have very good linoleum in the bathroom, and the water hasn't ruined it yet. The biggest problem is mold on the woodwork because of the trapped moisture causing high humidity when the sunshine. I am working that out with plenty of bleach. Any more suggestions are welcome.
josiethings is offline   Reply With Quote