Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairhope , Alabama
Inverter question

Picked up AS from dealer after getting it winterized and a few repairs. Went by storage unit few days later and noticed inverter LCD light was on. But inverter isn't on, and won't come on, and pushing the on-off button won't even turn off indicator light. What am I missing here?
Willis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Are the batteries run down too far?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairhope , Alabama
They were showing 11.8
Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis3 View Post
They were showing 11.8
That's down to about 30%, which unless you are using Lithium batteries would not be good. You should make sure everything is off and try to recharge them.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fairhope , Alabama
Inverter

Will check that out today. The batteries were drained when I picked trailer up at dealer and only got a little charge time after that. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis3 View Post
Will check that out today. The batteries were drained when I picked trailer up at dealer and only got a little charge time after that. Thanks.
You might consider complaining to the dealer IMO, unless they were clear with you that battery maintenance would not be done during their possession of the trailer. If you gave them a trailer with fully charged batteries, they did you a disservice, again in my personal opinion, by returning the trailer with discharged [ read "damaged" ] batteries.

PS -- Welcome to the forum! You also might consider taking the batteries out, and storing them elsewhere for the winter, with a battery tender hooked up to them.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Inverter will not function with batteries as low as the reading you posted.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
May I add yet another inverter question to this thread? My inverter has a power cable with the common three-prong plug on the end so it can (apparently) be plugged into a receptacle. What is this cord's use? So it can be powered from an extension cord? Other?

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
May I add yet another inverter question to this thread? My inverter has a power cable with the common three-prong plug on the end so it can (apparently) be plugged into a receptacle. What is this cord's use? So it can be powered from an extension cord? Other?
That plug is included with your WFCO inverter to be plugged into a 120VAC receptacle when on shore power. It will allow your 'inverter' circuits to receive shore power via a 'pass-thru' relay inside the inverter.

Airstream has not been using this feature of the WFCO units in the past. While upgrading a new 26U model trailer with solar, 3000 watt hybrid inverter/charger and AGM batteries, I have discovered that they now do as it now seems that Airstream has finally seen the 'light' and IS NOW USING THE PASS THRU FEATURE of the WFCO inverter.

What this means is that they no longer need to place a standard 120VAC receptacle next to the ones with the blue 'inverter' sticker on them to provide shore power to the area, as the inverter will pass thru the 120VAC when on shore power.

When off-grid and your inverter is activated, you will still get 120VAC power at the blue 'inverter' outlets from your batteries.

Airstream.........IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
That plug is included with your WFCO inverter to be plugged into a 120VAC receptacle when on shore power. It will allow your 'inverter' circuits to receive shore power via a 'pass-thru' relay inside the inverter.

:
Lew, thanks so much. But does this mean I should just leave it plugged in all the time, or just when on shore power (or not plug it in at all)? It's sort of a pain to plug it in/ unplug it, because the inverter is under one of the twin beds.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Leave it plugged in all the time. When off grid there is no 120VAC shore power to pass thru but when you activate the inverter ( press the on/off switch) it will provide 120VAC to the designated outlets marked with the blue stickers.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
These last four posts have me thinking a modification may be in my future...
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote