Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #321
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
This on does not have a front storage compartment because of the queen bed. I'd be interested if the FBT still has the front storage compartment. I suspect it does.
I believe it still does. I have a 2023 International 25FBT on order and as far as I know it still has the front trunk under the night stand.
barnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #322
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Here is the link to the forum posting with pictures.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...na-237375.html

Notice the queen bed is rotated 90 degrees with the head of the bed on the driver’s side. This is a great move because the front locker door is no longer needed and their is more space. I really think we would have concidered this trailer if we had known. I might need to talk with my wife and maybe change our order.

I saw another 2023 advertised and it too was missing the locker. I think it is gone folks.
The locker is in the "twin" model. It shows on the AS website if you select twin under 25 or 27 model. The small "single" outside locker on the side, is with the queen. Really inadequate outside storage, IMHO. Remember; the twin models have the rear outside locker and 2 side outside lockers under each bed. Great outside storage with Twin models; plus 8" more sleeping surface total vs the queen.(60"- queen; 34" each twin)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:46 PM   #323
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
My wife found this post on Airstream Addicts (Facebook). Time will tell if this is a permanent fix this but they are moving in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C5443CC-ABF6-4991-A7CE-F5B05A8FBC28.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	422444  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:02 PM   #324
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Port Angeles , Washington
From,Port Angeles, I have a 2018 International

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
As I see more posts to the two threads that relate to this. I'm a bit amazed at the attitudes dealing with getting it repaired. Mainly, "Well I guess I'll just travel across the country on my dime, using my time and hopefully they will fix it". Naw, not me. I want Airstream to send a enclosed transport, pick it up on a Sunday, take it to the factory, fix it RIGHT, and have it back on Saturday. Most of us have over a 100K in these things. It's a problem they have known about for a while and haven't done anything about. FIX IT.
We tow with a GMC HD 3500 dually, and have used a,heavy duty hitch. NO problems whatever with a rear bedroom. I wash the 30 foot "Alice", so would notice missing rivets.

I am,amazed,to hear that the Company sent out these models knowing about the problems,and they still are being ordered.
I enjoyed reading this forum.
Janice
JECTJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #325
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream JC sure told me where to... go

My Dealer said Jackson Center denied my Front End Compression Indents. It was my fault and "I should suffer the consequences of using our 27FBQ on Paved and Unpaved Roads". (Quotes are MY words.)

I then REINFORCED MY FRONT COMPARTMENT myself as described some time ago. Probably less than $45 of aluminum bar and 90 degree angled thick stock. Also taking Lath Screws and added them to the bottom frame of the Storage Compartment and secured with Aluminum Bar, drilled hole for the Lath Screws to enter.

This I had to do myself.

As nitzo said... ASJC should take care of ALL of these trailers. While I was at the Las Vegas Airstream, they had a number of Airstreams in their workshop having Aluminum Skin replaced on what I saw. Probably models they purchased and repairing damages from tree branches and backing into stationary objects.

A warranty is only as good as the company that offers it on their products. Airstream obviously can Pick and Choose, who qualifies.

YOU can remove the Bed Mattress, and thin plywood screwed to the drawer frames below... and SEE what needs to be BEEFED UP. If you DO NOT have the indents... go to Lowe's and look at their Aluminum Stock Bars and Angled 90 degree Stock. Now would be a good time, if your trailer is out of warranty.

Mine was still under warranty. My light indent and one indent with split appear to be secured. Stiffening up this area needed laying at off angles from the Interior, but easy otherwise.

My photos were not the Best... but somewhere on this Thread. Now Airstream has a magical bracket? How did they test that? Not on my Airstream... they could of offered ALL OF US WITH THESE MODELS the Bracket?

Airstream JC and Dealers should Contact ALL owners of these models, with or out of warranty and send this FIX to them, or the current owner suffering the consequences, without knowing about this issue.

Makes sense to me. But I am a Neanderthal.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #326
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Airstream response to buckling 27FB

On October 18, 2022 I contacted Airstream Support in Jackson Center and sent pictures of the buckling and broken rivets. Below is their response:

"Good afternoon we would have to look at it in person to see if its front end separation. Some buckling there is normal but if it cracks then it is separation. We can make an appt here to look at it if you would like. We are taking appts in the feb/march time frame

If it is buckling, is that not a design flaw? Do I have to wait for separation or a major structural failure to get AS to address?

Any suggestions?
cctx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #327
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
The buckles are caused by the shell settling down on the frame. Did you have to lift the shell any before you installed your reinforcements or did you reinforce at its settled position. I can envision a fix, but have no idea how to relieve the stress that is causing the buckling. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #328
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
I am quite curious as to the percentage of failures are units being towed with weight distribution hitches…
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #329
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
I tow with an Equilizer hitch. But the responses has been that AS repairs under warranty. I would think that AS would use that as an excuse to not perform warranty repairs for this issue. With this occuring to 25FB & 27FB, I think it points more to a structural issue. Whatever the cause, I am just looking for a fix.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #330
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Do a few tests and add some feedback.. please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctx27 View Post
I tow with an Equilizer hitch. But the responses has been that AS repairs under warranty. I would think that AS would use that as an excuse to not perform warranty repairs for this issue. With this occuring to 25FB & 27FB, I think it points more to a structural issue. Whatever the cause, I am just looking for a fix.

My 2019 FBQ 27 foot International has:

Indent that split on the street side.
Indent that is now barely visible after I reinforced the structure under the Bed on the curb side. Can not see an indent, now.

I also tow on the Ball with a 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4. I do not use the 1000# bars the Dealer Installed... as they were not needed for my towing. I suspect if the Dealer provided you with the hitch, you may inquire as to WD and SC be reduced, or adjusted to avoid further COMPRESSION of the aluminum skin against the frame below the storage area. (?)

Jackson Center was reported by one member that their trailer was out of warranty and they repaired it. It might be on this thread.

I found missing Buck Rivets on the lower left and right side frame of the wide storage in front and reinforced behind with a bar of aluminum, drilled pilot holes into the back support, from the front and used Lath Screws to tighten that part up. Somewhere lost on this thread are some photographs of Aluminum Stock bar and 90 degree I used from Lowe's.

Next time you connect your Airstream to your tow vehicle:

- measure the distance from the front of the Airstream to the back of the Propane Cover.

- once attached, before using the Weight Distribution / Sway Control bars... if you use them. Measure again.

Is the Propane cover closer, further or the same? (Just curious to start some additional clues to the front frame being... too weak?)

Check for Popped Buck Rivets attaching the aluminum skin under the front for dust and debris control. Are any of those Buck Rivets 'black' due to the Rivet, Skin and Frame moving in that area?

There are often 'bumps' on the silver strip in front showing. Those are Screws used to secure the thin skin to the thin aluminum interior skin. Screws at weird angles.

Since you are new... and a 2019 model, as is my 27 foot... check under the steps and is there a sticker for a 27 foot Safari stuck to the frame? Mine has the 27 foot Safari sticker. Some say the Safari and the International have the same frame.

My Frame:

27 Safari: FBSE TT2017 9162 (Sticker on frame behind steps.) What is yours?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:50 AM   #331
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Buckling is a failure; for AS to state that is normal is an admission of designed deficiencies leading to failure.

I’m wondering how long until all these purchasers of these failing but very expensive trailers file a class-action…

Poor Wally
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #332
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ray,
My frame number, 27FB FC, is on the battery box. #TT9YL23KU549060.
i found your reinforcing pics on page 15. I need to pull my bed up and compare to your pics for the fix you did.

Next time I hook up, I will take the measurements you suggested and give you feedback. My TV is an 2020 F250 6.2L gas. Thanks again for your insight.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #333
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
As long as Airstream can get by correcting a couple a year ( most units will blow through the warranty period, and it’s too late ) they’ll just keep plodding along. How many do you think are on this forum compared to made or in production. The fact that they know how to fix it speaks to a unit type fix, why not just do it, [emoji848]
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Frame Model Number, on frame, behind top step

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctx27 View Post
Ray,
My frame number, 27FB FC, is on the battery box. #TT9YL23KU549060.
i found your reinforcing pics on page 15. I need to pull my bed up and compare to your pics for the fix you did.

Next time I hook up, I will take the measurements you suggested and give you feedback. My TV is an 2020 F250 6.2L gas. Thanks again for your insight.
There is a 'Frame Model' on a large white with black print, behind the steps. It is stuck to the frame and easy to find, adhered to the frame. Look behind the steps to enter the trailer. You can not miss it measures 9 inches by 2.5 inches.

Made in 4-15-19 is also on the sticker in small print. Thor.

Maybe others with Indents can look at the Frame Model Number and add it to this Thread. Somewhere... somehow the frame from the ball to the front storage compartment has up and down movement. Are all 27 FBQ's using 27 Safari Frames or not? If there are different responses of an International and Safari Frames... we may be making some progress narrowing down the Front Indent situation.

What you found is the Airstream Serial Number on the Title.

Someone might know if a 27 Safari FB SE 2017 is the same, lighter or heavier frame than what a 27 foot 2019 International FBQ would have.

I just found it odd that the Frame was for a 2017 Safari 27 foot. Maybe Airstream Jackson Center had a stack of them sitting around and assembled some 2019 Internationals 27 foot to get some order filled, or out of the factory.

Always curious IF the Frame for the Safari is... the same for the International. We have to sleuth the details and then can move along. Gathering clues from the frame to the structure... beginning to end by owners... as the Factory does not.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:24 AM   #335
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ray,
Frame ID "27 SAFARI FB SE: TT201791612, shipped 01/08/19
Old 10-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #336
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Dimples

We have a 2019 FC FBQ. Have had the dreaded dimples, very small, for over two years...I have had our unit inspected by Paul at A@P Vintage Trailers in Paradise Tx. No Front End Separation, no popped rivets, no splits in the panels and the compartment door has no problems...that being said, I have a letter from Airstream that they will fix the problem if and when it becomes separation....Warranty or No-Warranty. My suggestion is if you have a front bed model with dimples, get it inspected by a competent authority and get it documented with AS...In the mean time I plan to keep on rolling.

Ray, thanks for your sage advise.
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #337
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
The vertical movement of the frame, caused by excessive pressure of stiff WD bars sheared the rivets of the front panel of my RBQ model, but unlike a FB model, there was no shearing of the aluminum panel. Can Am replaced and added rivets to the front end and after 7000 miles so far of travel, after replacing the Equalizer hitch with a new flexible hitch, all is holding up and the front is solid. I still have my 3/4 ton TV but the coupling to the trailer is a lot more flexible producing a lot less frame flex; it's the hitch bars that now flex, not the frame.
I have a 30 ft 2018 International Serenity Rear Bed. We were sold a Husky sway bar,system for our Nash, which was installed on the Airstream by the dealer when we bought the trailer new. I have been told not to use a stiff tow bar system as the front end might suffer damage.
WHAT FLEXIBLE SYSTEM DID YOU USE!
THANKS,
JANICE
PORT ANGELES, WA
JECTJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:21 AM   #338
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
It's a Eaz Lift hitch with 1000 lbs weight distribution bars with 2 Husky friction sway bars.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:57 AM   #339
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Reese duel cam. 750# bars. 17 ram 4 x 4. 3/4 13 31’ classic with 1050#’s on ball
No problem
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:12 PM   #340
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
My wife found this post on Airstream Addicts (Facebook). Time will tell if this is a permanent fix this but they are moving in the right direction

Has this helped reduce the issue in the 9 or so months since this post?

Just made an appt to visit Jackson Center for the repair.

Attached are pics I found of the brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End Separate Bracket Repair.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	433353  
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote