Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Intermittent loss of communication between Firefly Multiplex Control Panel and Alde

Seeking advice, ideas, recommendations on a problem.

We on the road heading to Tampa and just started experiencing the problem earlier this morning after having run the hydronic heating all night.

The problem relates to the loss of communication between the Firefly Multiplex Control Panel and the Alde System in our 2018 Classic M30 (albeit the problem is intermittent and not continuous) ??? Puzzling ???

When it happens, the most noticeable effect is the loss of temperature readings on the Firefly Panel and further-to-which seems to be affects other control features on the Firefly Panel, i.e. water pump on/off (not working), HVAC functionality (unable to turn on/off), etc.

As I mentioned, the problem is not constant and is more intermittent, i.e. one minute all is working fine, no issues....then 20, 30 maybe 60 minutes later it fails, i.e. whereby where we would normally see ambient and set temperatures for the cooling or heating there are nothing but ---dashes--- and a message stating "loss of communication in yellow below". When this occurs, from the point on we have no control of the system functions controlled by the Firefly panel....then, oddly 10-15-20 minutes later (without touching anything) everything seems to be working again as if the communication has been restored until it does it again.

FWIW, This problem began this morning after having been parked overnight, connected to 50-amp shore power and running the hydronic heating.

Checked the Alde panel under the sink cabinet it appears to be good, including the lightening bolt indicating power is on. Checked panels beneath the wardrobe, no tripped breakers or buses.

Contacted AS Customer Service/Technical Support and they stated it sounds like the Firefly Panel is going bad or there could be a connection shorting out. Suggest we get it into a AS Dealer to have the system checked and repaired (Good Luck with getting that done in a timely manner).

Yet to call Firefly but will try to reach them tomorrow while on the road/driving and see what they think.

Meanwhile, Asking for ideas, recommendations from others here in the forum who may have experienced a similar issue.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Is your fire fly up update? V3.8 is what I have

Sounds to me like it may actually be your main panel on the alde going out. When it’s not communicating to the firefly, is your panel under the sink off?

My experience with the alde main panel going out is intermittent working as well. My alde control panel under the sink would go blank though. Truma/Alde helped me diagnose the panel issue as well as installation support over the phone.

If it is the main alde panel, it’s a pretty straight forward plug and play correction. Keep us posted. Would love to hear what the solution is!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
PROBLEM SOLVED with the stellar customer service and technical support of Firefly, imc, particularly Neal G.

The problem of intermittent loss of signal to the G6A DC panel was a loose OR possibly just dust making for poor connections to the 7100053 PMM which is actually located underneath the dining booth bottom cushion next to the wall (not where Airstreams diagram shows it to be under the dining table).

Click image for larger version

Name:	PMM 7100053 CAN.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	384269

All Good!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Another view, PMM 7100053

Click image for larger version