Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Somewhere , Washington
Interior led lights dim/not working

I went to sleep with the interior led lights in my basecamp 16 working just fine. But when I woke up this morning, the section of lights over the bed/table area will turn on but are extremely dim. The lights in the kitchen and bath work fine.

A bit unusual that they turn on but are really dim. The single reading light over the back door is also really dim. I’m running off shore power right now. Haven’t tested to see if solar power affects it. I doubt it tho. If it was a fuse or circuit breaker it wouldn’t work at all. Any ideas?
raulsguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by raulsguitar View Post
I went to sleep with the interior led lights in my basecamp 16 working just fine. But when I woke up this morning, the section of lights over the bed/table area will turn on but are extremely dim. The lights in the kitchen and bath work fine.

A bit unusual that they turn on but are really dim. The single reading light over the back door is also really dim. I’m running off shore power right now. Haven’t tested to see if solar power affects it. I doubt it tho. If it was a fuse or circuit breaker it wouldn’t work at all. Any ideas?
Did you figure this out? I see noone replied to your post. Found it in a search. This just happen to me with the swivel led readings lights in the bedroom and kitchen in our 2022 FC 27FBT. Had put the rig to sleep for a few months and woke her up today to prep for our camping trip to Florida over the holidays. Everything else and all other lights work fine. Just the 4 led lights very dimly lit when I try turning each on.
Electronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Usually that means you have to replace your light.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Another possibility is a poor common connection. One way to get more evidence of a poor connection is to turn them all on at the same time and then turn one on and off and observe if one or more of the others flicker. Another is to remove one lamp and test it directly with a good 12V source. The direct test will of course determine if the led driver went out on that bulb assembly as Big suggests. The bulbs are pretty easy to find online.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Another possibility is a poor common connection. One way to get more evidence of a poor connection is to turn them all on at the same time and then turn one on and off and observe if one or more of the others flicker. Another is to remove one lamp and test it directly with a good 12V source. The direct test will of course determine if the led driver went out on that bulb assembly as Big suggests. The bulbs are pretty easy to find online.
Our unit is literally brand new. Not buying the bulbs all went at exactly the same time in 4 lights. Im leaning on it being an electrical connection issue. Not sure if could be playing a role but unit is in below freezing temperatures at the moment.

Ill see if problem still exists once we get out of Jersey and into better ambient temps. Power is there to a degree it appears because all 4 of the lights led bulbs go on very faintly.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If temperature is affecting the quality of a connection, then it should be redone even if it does start working at higher temperatures. If you are handy with a multimeter you should be able to find the poor connection if that is the issue. Fortunately, Airstream does not use splices except right at each device and the power center posts. Thus removing of each device on a branch will expose the weak connection. It is possible the weak connection is at a device/light that is working fine so it is best to start by identifying which fuse/branch these lights are fed from and then all the lights/devices fed by that branch. From there you may be able to speculate about the wire path as they will daisy chain from one device to the next. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
If temperature is affecting the quality of a connection, then it should be redone even if it does start working at higher temperatures. If you are handy with a multimeter you should be able to find the poor connection if that is the issue. Fortunately, Airstream does not use splices except right at each device and the power center posts. Thus removing of each device on a branch will expose the weak connection. It is possible the weak connection is at a device/light that is working fine so it is best to start by identifying which fuse/branch these lights are fed from and then all the lights/devices fed by that branch. From there you may be able to speculate about the wire path as they will daisy chain from one device to the next. Good luck.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate. Oddly I just tried them again and now they all work. I'm wondering if it's because my AS was completely powered off in hibernation and current was depleted throughout the entire 12v system and took time for that power to re-register correctly for these lights. Could be the circuit design maybe? I only repowered everything up yesterday connecting to shore power and turning on the battery disconnect switch directly in line to my 500ah battery bank (plus the factory disconnect switch inside the unit) to get ready for our trip.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Great news, keeping my fingers crossed! More likely renewed use burned off a bit of the corrosion on the marginal connection so all is good again for the time being. Anyway, if it works, then all is right in the world.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Sparta , NJ
Quote:
Great news, keeping my fingers crossed! More likely renewed use burned off a bit of the corrosion on the marginal connection so all is good again for the time being. Anyway, if it works, then all is right in the world.
Thought I would post back and put closure to this so also helps others possibly that incur this issue.

My problem turned out to be the 5 amp ATC mini bus fuse in the breaker panel not making a solid connection. I noticed the 12v circuit on the DC Panel side of the breaker board glowing red signifying a burnt fuse but was more an improper connection of the fuse. Must have jared loose or something to cause it the not have proper contact. I pulled it and flipped it around and fixed the circuit to have a solid connection. Lights on that circuit that were giving me the problem now all working as they should. Figured it out while we were and currently at Fort Wilderness.

Happy New Year all!