Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
lake Wales , Florida
interior fixes

After 7000 miles on our AS 25 RBT, there are some things I want to fix:
1. The twin mattresses hang over the base by 3". As a result, if you roll over near the edge, it feels like you will be pitched to the floor. Reading the Forum, this is a common issue with many (especially us older and heavier dudes that thrash around). I am going to extend the base out about 3" and add a lip to hold the mattress from sliding off. Maybe add it to the bottom as well. Having spent a fair amount of time on sail boats that have bunks with a retaining lip, this may work on my land yacht.
2. European hinges pop off all the time. Everytime we open the lower bins, the hinges come off. I am going to either lock the hinges, or replace them with hinges that do not come apart. I do not need an easy release on the bins. The front uses standard hinges, and the rear users Euro hinges. Because of the door size and operation, it will not work just changing to a standard hinge.
3. Condensation under the mattress during cool weather when the trailer is shut tight at night and condensation forms under the mattress. I am either going to use spacers under an overlay plywood, or just use the extension and put the hard web material under the mattress. For those how have this issue, you know what I mean.

Would like to know what you do about these issues, if anything. I know there are examples on the Forum, but it is spread over the place.

Once I have a final design, I will post.
Flathead1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
As far as the condensation, this is because the temps below the mattress is colder than the temp above. One way deal with that is to vent the space under the bed to allow the same air to move above and below the mattress.

We recently bought an underlayment that is about 1" thick and looks like SOS pad. It is spun out of some sort of rigid plastic. It will allow air to circulate.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote