Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

San Antonio , Texas
Insulation & a/c - non-Airstream

I hope it's OK to post this and that someone takes mercy on me. I've tried researching this multiple places but I keep getting conflicting information. I've always considered Airstream folks to be knowledgeable, which is why I'm taking a chance asking here.

If this is against the rules, or in bad form, my sincere apologies!

I have an enclosed box trailer for my vintage race car (Pace 24' tag with wood interior). I very much would like to add a/c and insulation - for multiple reasons... but most importantly, I sleep in the trailer at the track and I'd like to keep my race tires in climate controlled - which means keeping the a/c (or heater) running 24/7/365. Also, the trailer is kept under a cover (think pole barn) for direct sunlight is taken out of the equation.

My question(s) revolve around vapor/condensation within the walls. I understand when air of different temperatures meet, condensation forms. If that's true, I'm worried about the condensation forming within the walls, dripping down into the outer frame rails and rusting out the structural frame of the trailer, and/or the moisture causing mold/mildew/rotting the wood panel interior.

So... That all said... Can anyone advise me on how to best insulate the trailer, how to combat vapor (i.e. vapor barrier), etc???

Many thanks!
Skip
skipdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
I have built a number of trailers like that and have always used spray foam to insulate them. With foam there will be no condensate on the inside.

http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

San Antonio , Texas
Thanks Darkspeed!
That is an intriguing idea!
When you say no condensation on the inside... do you mean inside of the trailer or walls? I assume both?

Does that stuff stay somewhat flexible over time? Or should I expect it to crack/crumble over time from running/bouncing down the road?

MANY THANKS!!!
- Skip
skipdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdup
Thanks Darkspeed!
That is an intriguing idea!
When you say no condensation on the inside... do you mean inside of the trailer or walls? I assume both?

Does that stuff stay somewhat flexible over time? Or should I expect it to crack/crumble over time from running/bouncing down the road?

MANY THANKS!!!
- Skip
We used it between wall panels on mobile clinics and never had any problems. It will flex and not crumble. You can spray it on the skin or fill the void between two skins they have both types. Give them a call and tell them what you want to do.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote