Wonderful video. A few questions if I may.
- Did you just spray corrosion X on and wipe, or was there more to it?
A: Sprayed on toothbrush to only rub around beltline filiform.
- Approx cost for the materials?
A: Believe 500.00 to 600.00 from nearest stocking AS dealer for 4)16ft extrudeds and 100ft spool of flexible matching self adhesive chrome insert. This was the factory spec for newer models that our 2005 didn't originally have. Guess better to hide the potential corrosion and less answering to mad owners.
- Was there any concern with getting it home, looks a little tricky to me at 16ft.
A: Yes. but worked it out with a combo of strap-on roof racks and hitch goal post mounts allowing for extending support along with some strapped along rigid shipping cardboard strips/bungees. (can see brief pic of all mounting beginning of video).
- Which Silaflex did you use and was there any concern about the new hole you drilled being completely sealed to water.
A: Sikaflex 221 grey. but told factory just does ulta thin bead on top (not bottom) to allow airing/drying of moisture. Ultimately we did very little as to not have smears all over top. Sticky and thin viscosity stuff. but cures in few days.
- I noticed you using rivets, but have also seen screws used, just curious if there was a reason for one over the other.
A: Rivets were suggested offering lower profile head and super secure as with mounting like factory's lower rub rail and rest of rig. Less chance of protruding "bumps" in the final chrome strip afterwards. Suppose right screw could work too.
- When you installed the chrome strip, how did you cut it when you were at the final inch?
A: For the extruded aluminum which was more of a concern being ridgid, used a decent hand mitre and carefully hand measured 3x, hand sawed and fitted. Chrome strip, eye'd it up and carefully used a hand pvc pipe cutter
Looks great ! and nicely done.
A: Thanks ! Was concerned ourselves before starting but just went slow and easy with two sets of hands (loving wife) knowing it would look better than it was. Knew we couldn't be the only ones having this issue. When not finding any helpful "how to" videos or assistance out there, was pretty bummed thus put it out there for us-like folks.
My fliliform while being extensive, doesn't appear that it will extend above the strip except in one place. I look forward to installing this strip.