Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Installed new E Tongue Jack, now propane tank cover won't fit

Quick back-story:

We bought our Airstream and about a day later realized the electric tongue jack was bent forward, as in it was angled away from the propane tanks. My theory at the time was that the jack was extended and they back into something, causing the top to be pushed forward.

So, I bought a new electric jack as the old one was pretty beat up. Installed it perfectly straight as it should be.. The back side of the motor of the jack extends farther than the propane tanks do, so the aluminum propane tank cover will not slide over! Now I am thinking that the original jack was intentionally bent forward so the cover could be installed.

Anyone know what I am talking about?
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Pictures would help. But would it be possible to spin the jack so the motor is in front?? Not sure if that’ll work or not but it’s a shot. Hopefully you get some help.
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcashio View Post
Pictures would help. But would it be possible to spin the jack so the motor is in front?? Not sure if that’ll work or not but it’s a shot. Hopefully you get some help.
I found a picture of another 1995 and it looked like the jack was turned sideways.. but another picture I found shows it facing forward. I'll take a picture and post it up.

Would it be "bad" if I were to place some spacer washers behind the back bolt on the jack just so it would be slightly angled forward?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
I found a picture of another 1995 and it looked like the jack was turned sideways.. but another picture I found shows it facing forward.
Many times the jack is turned sideways to allow the tailgate to open. That only is possible if the jack doesn't have the Triangular mounting plate, or you can rotate the head on the shaft..
Quote:
Would it be "bad" if I were to place some spacer washers behind the back bolt on the jack just so it would be slightly angled forward?
Eh, there's a couple issues. One, the frame is the negative conductor for the power to the jack. As long as there's a good connection, it should be okay. Then there's the issue of rust since it will be easy for water to get in there.
I'd think the jack being vertical is good, if for no other reason than to prevent the post from binding when it's extended.

The jack is already far forward, and you're not the first person to have it very close to the tank cover.

If you feel handy, you might be able to move the tanks on the frame a small bit rearward, if it doesn't impinge on the battery box. I think someone posted here they moved the tanks back 3/4" as the tank frame is just bolted to the A-frame.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pics and brand of jack might help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums mobile app
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
fixed issue

Sorry I never got around to posting pictures.

I wasn't able to turn jack because it has triangular mounting plate and holes didn't line up. Brand is Lippert. I was able to put 3 washers underneath both back bolts, causing it to tilt just slightly enough that the tank cover fits. You can't even tell it's tilted because it still fits pretty snug against the cover.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Maybe try...

...slots on the A-frame with stainless washers. I think straight is better than even slightly off plumb.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-18-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
I am having this same problem with the back side of the electric jack preventing me from putting my tank cover on. Appears the jack is slightly pitched back. I attached a picture and you can see that the back of the jack is slightly over the tanks making it impossible to install the cover. Any ideas how to correct this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4681.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	984.3 KB
ID:	438862  
hahnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnster View Post
I am having this same problem with the back side of the electric jack preventing me from putting my tank cover on. Appears the jack is slightly pitched back. I attached a picture and you can see that the back of the jack is slightly over the tanks making it impossible to install the cover. Any ideas how to correct this?
Try going with only one washer under the jack flange, at the rear, that should cause the jack to lean forward a bit.

Then make sure you seat the propane tanks back as far as they can go in the tray they sit in.

I just installed a new jack a couple months ago. I contacted the manufacturer and determined the dimensions specifically to avoid this issue.

What make/model jack is that anyway?

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I am having this same problem with the back side of the electric jack preventing me from putting my tank cover on. Any ideas how to correct this?
How about if you turn the head sideways? That jack seems to have a lot of rear overhang. I zoomed in on your picture and thought I saw an extra set of holes!)
Another idea is to put a washer under the front bolts of the tank support frame. That will lean the cover back slightly.
Your jack post seems to have plenty of clearance, so it's just the head.
Lastly, move the entire tank support frame slightly back, even 3/4".
I also found on mine the fuzzy side of an Industrial Velcro patch 2" x 4" (It's available in silver/grey) on the jack rear helps the cover to slide on without a screw scratching the cover. I have to push the cover rearward as I drop it on. (sadly, I learned this after scratching the cover)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Thank you for the suggestion. If I losen the flange to put some washers in, do I need to support the a-frame or will the jack still support the trailer? I’m not sure what brand jack it is, whatever the airstream came with originally. Just put it back in storage or I would go look.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:52 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Yes, it looks like it is just the head that is causing the clearance issues. I will try turning it. Once turned, will it still operate or do I have to turn it back to the original position to operate it? Thank you for the help!
Old 11-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The bolts are the connection the jack uses to hold up the tongue, you need to support the tongue to loosen them, your tow vehicle makes a very safe support.
Yes, you can operate the jack when it is turned.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:57 PM   #14
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Hahnster, the jack on my 23'FC was leaning toward the rear because AS had placed a star washer on the front bolt between the jack and the frame, possibly to help ground the jack. I removed the star washer to correct the problem. The cover was also binding on the battery cover so I enlarged the notches on the bottom of the tank cover so it could be moved a little to the rear. Problem solved.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, acorrding to my trailer, the propane tanks and mounting bracket should be behind the round mounting plate on the tongue jack. Or in simpler terms, the propane tank mount should be moved rearward. Closer to the battery box. It looks like to me that Airstream installed your propane tank mount about 1/2" too far forward.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
Sorry I never got around to posting pictures.

I wasn't able to turn jack because it has triangular mounting plate and holes didn't line up. Brand is Lippert. I was able to put 3 washers underneath both back bolts, causing it to tilt just slightly enough that the tank cover fits. You can't even tell it's tilted because it still fits pretty snug against the cover.
This is good. The other thing I was thinking, I cut a piece of tubing lengthwise and slid it under the front rim of the propane tank cover, throwing the lean of the cover back toward the rig a wee bit.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
If I losen the flange to put some washers in, do I need to support the a-frame or will the jack still support the trailer?
All jacks use the same bolt pattern. (3) 3/8 x 16 bolts on 3" centers.
Yes, removing the bolts will allow the tongue to drop.
As noted, hitch it up when removing the bolts (or if fancy use a jack stand)
BTW, When I replaced my jack I used new grade 8 bolts. Easily available from Lowe's. Not because they're stronger, but because they don't rust. I also used a star washer between the flange and the bolt head to help with the ground connection.
On some jacks the head can be turned independently of the shaft. There's some screws at the bottom of the cover.